idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome indeed. You're not the fine upstanding gentleman who chatted with me at Ramsey last Sunday, are you? I'm only asking because HE was deeply into 0 Gauge, too, and mentioning that most of his large collection of locos cost ITRO £800-900.....

tac
Do we allow fine upstanding gentlemen on here? As long as it is not a requirement. :)

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Start with something small. - Short branch-line, perhaps a siding or two. If you have the resources, a simple loop.
best advice you got so far.
and the most important advice for the next years. the bigger you start, the costlier the beginner's mistakes.

i'm astonished, that nobody mentioned the rules yet.
the most important one, i think, it is number eight: it is your railway. and if others don't like it, they can go to ........ (insert something to suit your mood)

oh, well... and a welcome!

Reactions: 1 user

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Jimmy..

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Is that loco the aristo craft Rodgers? I think they are cool engines and I am on the hunt for one....

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy;
Drop into the Coffee Lounge, as soon as you feel as if you like it here. I "Commute" from the "Provinces", and seem to have not offended too many people here, so I now feel like the Lounge is almost home...even though I don't drink coffee, and limit myself to bheer/ale, and Earl Grey tea. I'll even buy a round, if I meet you in the lounge...
Fr.Fred

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jimmy.
Take your time - visit lots of railways in reality or cyberspace (there are lots in here, pictures section is a good starting point).
It is possible to get close to replicating reality, especially in Euro or American outline but as Rule 8 says it is certainly not a requirement.
Enjoy.

IMG_0863 (887 x 649).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have garden, so it will move there over the next couple of years.
Jimmy, further to your thoughts I am helping my friend build his new line in Watchet. Be good to get in touch when I am next there to see if you can pop down to see how some of the things work out. There is or was another guy in Weston that I visited back in 2010 who had a small railway, he was in the G Scale Society and there is a gang your way that have regular Garden Open days in the Summer. Might be worth your while to think of joining the G Scale Society.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
There is or was another guy in Weston that I visited back in 2010 who had a small railway, he was in the G Scale Society and there is a gang your way that have regular Garden Open days in the Summer. Might be worth your while to think of joining the G Scale Society.
Jon, THe railway you visited in Weston has been dismantled as the owner passed away a few years ago. Jimmy can come over & see our railway once the weather warms up & I can remove the weeds.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I urge anybody - especially noobs - to join the G Scale Society, particularly if their main area of interest centres around LGB/PIKO products. If live-steam is more attractive, then the 16mm Association is unmatched in the entire world.

tac, member of both.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jimmy.
It is possible to get close to replicating reality, especially in Euro or American outline but as Rule 8 says it is certainly not a requirement.
Enjoy.

And British

2016 new season 003.JPG

In any weather !

snow plough 001.JPG

Welcome Jimmy. Max

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, THe railway you visited in Weston has been dismantled as the owner passed away a few years ago. Jimmy can come over & see our railway once the weather warms up & I can remove the weeds.
Mike, many thanks, are you in Nailsea!!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I urge anybody - especially noobs - to join the G Scale Society, particularly if their main area of interest centres around LGB/PIKO products. If live-steam is more attractive, then the 16mm Association is unmatched in the entire world.

tac, member of both.
Tac, joined the G Scale, and have been looking at 16 mm but as yet undecided.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh so sorry to hear that, he was a nice guy. In fact all the crowd in Weston were a great bunch.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Jimmy.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Tac, joined the G Scale, and have been looking at 16 mm but as yet undecided.
Should be no hesitation in joining the 16mm Association, for a very modest sum you get a fantastic quarterly magazine and access to a even more knowledge and steam ups.
Just realised, this quartet's may would have been ideal for you, great article about building a new outdoor line!

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome James....

John Steer

Registered
23 Nov 2016
Warminster
Best answers
Hi, inspired to Garden Railways watching Biggest Little Railway. I have been a train enthusiast for nearly 50 years, first (00) layout in 1978, then on to N Gauge, back to 00, a quick foray in Z, and 10 years ago moved to 0 Gauge.
Bought a few second hand items though the famous auction site, but as yet unsure where I am going, but getting ready for my retirement!!

Hi JimmyB.
Google G Scale Society for contact details, you have the South West area group very very close and the Wiltshire group here in Warminster, both have many years experience and are willing to help.
Regards.
John.
Warminster
01985 215 830DSC00005.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00009.JPG

Reactions: 1 user