New to Garden Railways and new to the Forum

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, inspired to Garden Railways watching Biggest Little Railway. I have been a train enthusiast for nearly 50 years, first (00) layout in 1978, then on to N Gauge, back to 00, a quick foray in Z, and 10 years ago moved to 0 Gauge.
Bought a few second hand items though the famous auction site, but as yet unsure where I am going, but getting ready for my retirement!!

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome! Plenty of advice available on here - just ask and someone will know.:)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness.. no daft questions ....not saying anything about the answers on here

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Is that don't ask daft questions, or there is no such thing as a daft question ;)

There's no such thing as a daft question - but the answers?

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

Get to a point where you have 'something' that can be run..

Then get 'somewhere' to run it..

Start with something small. - Short branch-line, perhaps a siding or two. If you have the resources, a simple loop.
You can 'just' put an oval on the lawn, between mowings, if you like.

Then expand from there..
Else, like me, you end up with 200' of track in the shed, but nothing laid to run on! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

Start with something small. - Short branch-line, perhaps a siding or two. If you have the resources, a simple loop.

Then expand from there..
Else, like me, you end up with 200' of track in the shed, but nothing laid to run on! :rolleyes:
Phil, I have LGB track 12 (R1) curves and 10 300mm straight, and managed an oval in the spare room to run a Big Hauler mogul.

Reactions: 2 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
No such thing as a daft question..

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!

Then expand from there..

Very sound advice. It's surprising how much fun you can have with a simple layout. I'm very much in Phil's position, lots of track but nothing permanently laid down (although that should change in the next few months), but shortly after we moved here we had an empty bedroom and I had a 6' by 4' oval plus an external passing loop (external to the main oval, that is) and with a siding into the centre of the oval laid out in it which gave hours of fun and relaxation.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jimmy! As you can see you'll get lots of advice on this site. Just enjoy your trains and don't try to go to big too quickly!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Jimmy, enjoy spending some time on here!
Lots of excellent advice available, you've already had some of it, I'd second (or is it third, or fourth...?) Phil's comments.

The only daft question is the one that you don't ask...... ;)

Jon.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome indeed. You're not the fine upstanding gentleman who chatted with me at Ramsey last Sunday, are you? I'm only asking because HE was deeply into 0 Gauge, too, and mentioning that most of his large collection of locos cost ITRO £800-900.....

tac

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, I have LGB track 12 (R1) curves and 10 300mm straight, and managed an oval in the spare room to run a Big Hauler mogul.
Excellent start. Welcome to the club.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rock on Tommy !! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, inspired to Garden Railways watching Biggest Little Railway. I have been a train enthusiast for nearly 50 years, first (00) layout in 1978, then on to N Gauge, back to 00, a quick foray in Z, and 10 years ago moved to 0 Gauge.
Bought a few second hand items though the famous auction site, but as yet unsure where I am going, but getting ready for my retirement!!
Into the garden (assuming you have one)

It's a great life :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Jim, Jimmy, James? Noting that you have 0 Gauge there is nothing wrong with that in the Garden either. Though thing to remember if you go down that route is that cleanliness of the track is more important as is the surface that you lay it on. The Track being of much finer size is somewhat less tolerant of bumps and humps as is our track and steamroller G Scale wheels.

You can have a look at my links below in Blue to see what I have done in G.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome indeed. You're not the fine upstanding gentleman who chatted with me at Ramsey last Sunday, are you? I'm only asking because HE was deeply into 0 Gauge, too, and mentioning that most of his large collection of locos cost ITRO £800-900.....

tac
Tac was that Ramsey IOM or Ramsey Cambridgeshire, either way not me!!