New to Garden Railways and new to the Forum

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, inspired to Garden Railways watching Biggest Little Railway. I have been a train enthusiast for nearly 50 years, first (00) layout in 1978, then on to N Gauge, back to 00, a quick foray in Z, and 10 years ago moved to 0 Gauge.
Bought a few second hand items though the famous auction site, but as yet unsure where I am going, but getting ready for my retirement!!
Saw the picture of your garden today, and I'm very tempted to suggest that you consider 8ft diameter as a minimum. I think you've got enough room to do it, and it will mean that you have not limited your options for locos / rolling stock / manufacturer :nod::nod::nod::nod:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Saw the picture of your garden today, and I'm very tempted to suggest that you consider 8ft diameter as a minimum. I think you've got enough room to do it, and it will mean that you have not limited your options for locos / rolling stock / manufacturer :nod::nod::nod::nod:
Go large - if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to but depends on both finance and the domestic management, apparently there has to be room for the grandchildren to play.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I would like to but depends on both finance and the domestic management, apparently there has to be room for the grandchildren to play.
Well, if the railway goes around the edge, they can play in the middle :clap::clap::clap::clap:

The track is easily robust enough to withstand the odd bounce from a football :nod::nod::nod:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If they're anything like mine biggest problem will be getting them to stop playing with the trains so you can have a go. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If they're anything like mine biggest problem will be getting them to stop playing with the trains so you can have a go. :)
That's true, they'll probably be more interested in trains than anything else.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

A gentleman of my acquaintance, who lives in Scotland, has his power unit connected to a kitchen timer in order to limit the duration of the run.

tac

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A gentleman of my acquaintance, who lives in Scotland, has his power unit connected to a kitchen timer in order to limit the duration of the run.

tac
That's mean

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I prefer to think of it as 'environmentally-aware.

tac

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
You didn't mention the coin in the slot meter.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You didn't mention the coin in the slot meter.

That's a good idea, I'll pass it on. The younger persons can earn 'train coupons' by doing chores around the house - that way they'll not only leanr frugality, but that endeavours can have tangible rewards.

A return to good old Victorian values would not go amiss in certain quarters, I'm thinking.

tac

Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That's a good idea, I'll pass it on. The younger persons can earn 'train coupons' by doing chores around the house - that way they'll not only leanr frugality, but that endeavours can have tangible rewards.

A return to good old Victorian values would not go amiss in certain quarters, I'm thinking.

tac
Yes across the hind quartets usually:cry::yawn:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
JimmyB,

I've seen your posts on the forum, here, asking about couplers there... but have you aired your desires in terms of scale, and type of locomotives, or era?

I see you mentioned a Bachmann steamer.

Where do you want to go in terms of scale, country, era?

This would help answering your questions about curves, grades, couplers, etc.

For example, I am 1:29 scale USA mainline class 1 railroads, mostly Santa Fe. Since I run long trains with multiple locos and want my trains ready to go on a moment's notice I run DCC, and have stainless steel rail, all my desires translated themselves into decisions about power, couplers, grades, rail material, etc.

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, not sure where I am going at the moment, and a garden railway is a little chicken and egg, unless you buy a starter kit, rolling stock or track both are useless without the other.
I would like to get some track down first, however it boring without something to go on it, hence the Bachmann steamer, but I think I may end up with remote control live steam - but who knows, especially it I don't.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, not sure where I am going at the moment, and a garden railway is a little chicken and egg, unless you buy a starter kit, rolling stock or track both are useless without the other.
I would like to get some track down first, however it boring without something to go on it, hence the Bachmann steamer, but I think I may end up with remote control live steam - but who knows, especially it I don't.
Yep, you're right, and building a garden railway is a lot different to modelling indoors, mainly because you are slightly more time limited - days and seasons, and some of it can be a bit more physical.

So, having worked out my ability for bone idleness and procrastination, when I built the WWSR (at our former house) I decided that it had got to be instant, or it would be a project that never got finished.

At that time, Bachmann US outline was pretty cheap, as was some LGB US outline, and I like lots of wheels; also track power (apart from live steam) was almost assumed way back in 2006.

Sandy Taylor at Scottish Garden Railways advised me to go with a minimum 8ft radius and I'm forever grateful that for once I listened to some advice.

I bought some old railway sleepers, laid the track out round the edge of the garden and got it all down in about 3 - 4 weeks, and then played trains.

After a year or so, I started to work out what I really wanted to do, and slowly moved in that direction, but I could keep playing with my trains, and developing the stock as I went along.

Just a thought, but it worked for me :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
The starting point is your motive power.
So we have:

track power (analogue)
track power (digital)
battery power (radio control)
battery power (off/on switch and let it go)
Live steam (gas fired radio controlled or manual control)
live steam (coal fired radio or manual)
live steam (parafin fired, usually manual control).

Do you want lots of trains running at the same time ? (go for digital track power or analogue with several separately powered loops).
Do you want to run "end to end" with passing loops/reversing loops ?
Are you happy to concentrate on one train running at a time ?
Do you want to involve your kids/someone else's kids ?

As mentioned previously - go to as many railways as you can and see what's out there and pick out what is best for you.

Take your time and above all - have fun.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
live steam (parafin fired, usually manual control).
As mentioned previously - go to as many railways as you can and see what's out there and pick out what is best for you.

Paraffin fired?

Do tell. o_O

Could not agree more about your last comment, though.

tac

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag

Take your time and above all - have fun.

Happy with the power options, and I hope to get to see a few gardens when the weather is warmer

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Mamod locos Tac (I think, or are they methylated spirit ?)

Paraffin fired?

Do tell. o_O

Could not agree more about your last comment, though.

tac