New Loco for Bachmann's Thomas range

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I've been asked if I had any information on an 08 'Diesel' diesel being produced by Bachmann. As Manuel used to say ' I know nothing'. Anyone out there heard a whisper?

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I've been asked if I had any information on an 08 'Diesel' diesel being produced by Bachmann. As Manuel used to say ' I know nothing'. Anyone out there heard a whisper?

Wasn't that Sgt Shultz ? (did you guys ever get to see Hogan's Heros?).

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It was not in their 2018 catalogue so perhaps dropped. It does look like Bachmann are reversing out of large scale in general.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Wasn't that Sgt Shultz ? (did you guys ever get to see Hogan's Heros?).
Yes, I remember Hans (the fat one). Manuel from Fawlty Towers had a bit extra in his catchphrase - 'I know nothing, I am from Barcelona' - but as I wasn't I didn't include it!

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
At the begining I was thinking the same: Bachmann leaving Large Scale.

But they issued this new 4 6 0 at price 1250 USD.
In the same time they no longer produce the 4 6 0 , that they produced for a long time at reasonnable prices (400 USD).
My understanding is that their trend might be now to issue higher priced locos.

Any other point of view ?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Which new 4-6-0 ?

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
It was not in their 2018 catalogue so perhaps dropped. It does look like Bachmann are reversing out of large scale in general.

As has been said - It was announced as being new in 2017, but as has been said has quietly been dropped. See the thread
Bachmann 2018 Catalogue

Instead Thomas lovers will have to put up with more re-liveries of existing tooling. This is a pity as that looked to be potentially nice and popular model.

Given the long gestation periods of many of the other models in the Thomas series, in particular Winston I guess there is a faint glimmer of hope that it will be re-announced in 2019.

James

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just got home from work to find a message on my anwerphone from GRS: Bachmann have confirmed that they won't be doing the Thomas series Class 08 in G Scale.....

Not a surprise but such a shame....

James

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps there is a general reduction in Thomas model railway items under way, as I see that Hornby have not renewed their agreements to produce their OO TTE range, so they will be eliminated after the end of this year - "changing trends affecting the target age demographic" being their comment on the matter!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Quite likely the eye watering fees for using (by whatever bunch of hard nosed business men are running it) the Thomas Franchise these days.

Reactions: 1 users

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I always thought 'Old Salty' would be a good addition to the Thomas range. A Henrietta coach would have been an obvious follow up for Toby. I think some of the larger tender engines although nice would be more expensive and difficult for children to manage. Perhaps we have seen the end of it, at least for the current time being.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So, even our "Toys" will become rarer than hen's teeth or rocking horse ....!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
One day people will be saying: 'Blimey, that's a big Percy. I've never seen a Percy as big as that before!'
Response: 'Ooo er missus. Bachmann brought them out. Lionel did too but the Bachmann ones were bigger. Now both rare as hens teeth'. ;)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One day people will be saying: 'Blimey, that's a big Percy. I've never seen a Percy as big as that before!'
Response: 'Ooo er missus. Bachmann brought them out. Lionel did too but the Bachmann ones were bigger. Now both rare as hens teeth'. ;)

Especially if many get the 'Smallbrook Studio' treatment! :eek:;):giggle::giggle:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The Brand is now in the hands of Mattel - along with Action Man and Barbie, to name but two. I know from the heritage railways that Mattel are being very greedy with their franchise pricing so it could well be that Hornby and Bachmann have told them were to put it.

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I bought one of the DCC controllers for Emily. Besides the extant engines (Thomas, Percy, James, Emily, Toby) sans Winston (too smol), it also supports Edward, Henry, Gordon, and Spencer. So at least when they contracted out that work the project manager had those locos on the horizon. Interestingly, there is no Diesel.

They must have realized the various challenges of building / selling / running cheap largg locos and pivoted to Diesel. Then quit or idk. I think you're on to something with the recent franchise price gouging.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Do not be surprised if the loco stops with brief power interruptions... I found that reducing the DCC speed step to 0 and then resuming operation brings it back to life if it is now picking up power.

Will be modifying for keepalive capacitor... really a crappy decoder but it was cheap and it has the Thomas family sounds.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
....rocking horse ....!

Found some of that yesterday. Dragged out a 45 years old one from the shed, and there it was, real rocking horse shite, I think they call it dry rot, or borer infestation. Reshod the beast, and Grand #4 took his first ride (but wanted to keep watching, and chasing, Thomas).

Reactions: 1 user

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Do not be surprised if the loco stops with brief power interruptions... I found that reducing the DCC speed step to 0 and then resuming operation brings it back to life if it is now picking up power.

Will be modifying for keepalive capacitor... really a crappy decoder but it was cheap and it has the Thomas family sounds.
Thanks, Greg! I first learned about the DCC Controller from your website—much appreciated! I’m surprised that super caps are not a thing in digital locos after all these years. I can imagine outside there’s lots of interruption possibilities.

I barely got the terraforming done this year so my outdoor layout awaits next year. In the meantime I’m fiddling around indoors. Ofc I’m still awaiting my DCC controller I ordered in early June so perhaps everything’s on the same schedule...