New from Oz

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I have just re-found a link on my 'favourites' to this forum. Had to re-join.
Located in Australia I always find these forums very useful as they usually provide a wealth of info from around the world.
My latest 'project' is to try and introduce my layout to Raspberry Pi control. I was at a recent Narrow Gauge convention here in Victoria Australia where details were presented in a clinic. But it was all a bit confusing. My investigations are on-going and I wonder if others in this forum are familiar with the concept.
Looking forward to delving further into this forum.
My home G scale layouts include 2 5 x 9 metre indoor tracks, sparsely sceniced, and an outdoor layout, raised on poles and planks about 3 feet above the garden bed approx. 20 x 10 metres with three swing bridges. I have an additional HO gauge track on the inside of my indoor layout to run the usual Thomas and On30 trains.
Rolling stock includes G scale Thomas items with some store bought carriages and some scratch built items. I also delve into 'Emmet' style items. Pictures later...

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have just re-found a link on my 'favourites' to this forum. Had to re-join.
Located in Australia I always find these forums very useful as they usually provide a wealth of info from around the world.
My latest 'project' is to try and introduce my layout to Raspberry Pi control. I was at a recent Narrow Gauge convention here in Victoria Australia where details were presented in a clinic. But it was all a bit confusing. My investigations are on-going and I wonder if others in this forum are familiar with the concept.
Looking forward to delving further into this forum.
My home G scale layouts include 2 5 x 9 metre indoor tracks, sparsely sceniced, and an outdoor layout, raised on poles and planks about 3 feet above the garden bed approx. 20 x 10 metres with three swing bridges. I have an additional HO gauge track on the inside of my indoor layout to run the usual Thomas and On30 trains.
Rolling stock includes G scale Thomas items with some store bought carriages and some scratch built items. I also delve into 'Emmet' style items. Pictures later...

Hello, and welcome. Technology - not my soul mate but I admire those who go down thar route! And yes, we welcome pictures!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back to the forum! :)

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
re-joining the madhouse!
Not had enough yet? :rofl:

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Thanks for the welcome, Trammayo and Zerogee. Now, it jst so happens that my lovely wife and I are travelling to the UK and Ireland in a few months. So you both will be great sources of info about trains in those areas. North Essex does come up as in USA however !!

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Stockers . Obviously not. !!And we are staying on Littlebourne in September to visit a number of heritage railways,

D

Deleted member 1986

Yep, ask away.............Raspberry Pi and the Arduino make good companions for layout control see...
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/arduino-as-a-central-station.308752/ ,as an example, if you were presented with any notes from the presentation, can confer and exchange ideas.............

Welcome back, enjoy the ride............. Devon may be a bit of the beaten track when you are here visiting...............

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Raspberry Pi. Rhubarb Crumble is much nicer & no pips:rofl:

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I suspect that Raspberry Pi has lots of pips :confused:

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back to the madhouse!

Now, where are those pictures??
:clap::clap:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. I can't say that I recall seeing you here in the past. But then i can't say that I recall alot of the things from the past. And yes, pictures please. They're an easy read.....;)

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Welcome back to the madhouse!

Now, where are those pictures??
:clap::clap:
OK, some to start with.....(a trial pic)...........My train show layout under preparation on the back patio. The outdoor layout can be seen in the background.23 Jan 2017 010.JPG

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Welcome aboard. I can't say that I recall seeing you here in the past. But then i can't say that I recall alot of the things from the past. And yes, pictures please. They're an easy read.....;)
Hi Madman.. I don't think I posted anything last time around....
Here's some more pics.. My "Daisy" loco as pictured in my avatar.
Based on a large scale Bachmann Emily. P1110797.JPG
(Main upper structure has been removed, new cylinders added - made from a small newel post - and some pieces of fencing wire installed for the cross head guides.)
P1140683.JPG
The base is started. Made from plastic board and bits of timber.
P1140686.JPG
The upper section is almost complete.
P1140697.JPG
Rivets added, handrails added, painted and ready to roll.

Reactions: 2 users

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Some more pictures of my outdoor layout.
P1110555.JPG
The track was initially laid on small blocks about 3 - 4 inches off the ground. However, this proved impractical when trying to run live steam (too much bending to adjust settings on the loco), the curves were too sharp and the track not level... so the whole layout was raised about a metre onto poles. This view shows the track before track laying.
P1110597.JPG
Some 7/8ths stock posing on the track.

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Goose.
A scratch-built version of Goose No 4.
P1160506.JPG
The base - made from plastic and timber, with a square metal section for added weight. The model is powered by two motor blocks under the 'trailer' More weight will be added to the front unit.

P1160511.JPG
The trailer is almost complete and the front unit started - made from my favorite material of matt board (obtained free from a local friendly picture framer shop) A belt buckle serves as a radiator.
P1160527.JPG
The model is almost complete. Signage etc still to be added.
P1160533.JPG
A rear view - all the better to count the rivets.

Reactions: 1 users

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
And this is the layout at the Caulfield Model Train Exhibition, Melbourne a few years ago.DSCN0002.JPG
With a blurred Shay.
DSCN0004.JPG

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
LIke the goose build - long on my 'to do' list! Rowland Emett's creations have always fascinated me - whimsical, improbable, yet seemingly probable!

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
LIke the goose build - long on my 'to do' list! Rowland Emett's creations have always fascinated me - whimsical, improbable, yet seemingly probable!
Thanks trammayo.
Some pics of my flight of geese............
Layout July 2017 081.JPGNo 2 purchased 2nd hand at the National Garden RR Convention, Tacoma, FL.
Layout July 2017 083.JPG
No 4 from eBuy
Layout July 2017 085.JPG
No 4 (also) I could never work that out - two No 4's. Scratch-built and shown here with lettering....
Layout July 2017 082.JPG
Then finally, a Bachmann rail-truck.