New Bachmann Lyn

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
James,
I believe (not ever actually owning the earlier unreliable version) that the new model is simply improved mechanicals and no major retooling of earlier release incorrectly scaled bodywork. Pity, as a beautiful model toy could have been a very nice model.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Here are some pictures of the full-size LYN, when on the Southern Railway. I must say that I agree with Tim that the cab is too high.The last picture is one of the Baldwin 2-6-2's in Australia; note the higher cab profile. Alyn
abb8a155e0814116a20557dfdea3041b.jpg
982ebbb193f3464bb32bdec8ee73531d.jpg
29bcbdb1e0bf448295763154333ad981.jpg
4f92e9f15ac245fe83c29751da428422.jpg

mickb

Registered
11 Nov 2009
winmalee
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
I have both the old and new versions of Lyn. Tim is correct and both body mouldings appear the same. Some changes have occured in the running gear mouldings, both pony trucks have more detail as does the frame.
Measuring up against a scale drawing most appears correct for 1:22.5 except about a scale foot has been added above the lower edge of the cab windows, this has raised the coal bunker and also the front cab windows are now higher than they should be.
The first of Alyn's pictures of Lyn was taken not long after delivery to the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway before it was taken over by the Southern Railway.
Mick

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
She is a Bachmann USA model so Lyn herself is a nice by-product really, if you look closely the Southern lettering is too low the numbers are too skinny, the tanks are too high compared to the wheels, she seems a bit short between the cylinders and cab front too if you compare wheelbase and clearances to the cylinders and yes the cab has aquired a bit of height in the window area.
But she's a nice impression much like most of the LGB locos where even the Harz 2-10-2's are stretched and squeezed in various places if you look closely.
If you want a true 1:19th 2ft gauge Lyn then give Trackshack a buzz to order an Accucraft one.
Personally I think for the price she's a nice loco and will do as I doubt I'll afford the Accucraft one and Lew too. ;)

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well I thought I would compare them too,
On top we have the unaltered model
in the middle, a pasted together almost scale version
on the bottom the original in Southern livery.

I chopped the height of the cab, stretched the tank and also the lettering, stetched the cylinders, shrunk the smokebox and moved the domes.
a456aa0e887249e2adc7286853b18c5c.jpg

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
On the page she doesn't look to be that much more powerful as didn't the 2-6-2's have fractionally wider cylinders? The rumours of poor performance from the 2-6-2's valve gear may have had more of a bearing on actual performance. Paul Lewin who's in charge of Lyd seems to think the 2-6-2's got a bad reputation from initial problems but that they certainly had the potential to be very good locos from the basic design, as they have now proved with Lyd.
Still in a few years we'll be able to tell when they run Lyd & Lyn :)
Oh dear I've just realised I could have two Accucraft Lew's as Lyd is the same as Lew, (how many years away are they? going to need a bigger piggybank)

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having had a day or so to look over the new Baldwin, it does seem to be a big improvement over the old, particularly in the mechanical area. There also seems to be significant improvements in detailing.

At the price, I think it is very good out of the box, if that's how you run your railway (as many do, and there is nothing wrong implied with that comment). I'm a bodger, so nothing ever stays pristine around here for long, which may account for some dodgy running!

My railway goes for an overall impression, rather than strict accuracy. I don't have a stated scale. I work to around 15mm/ft but around means LGB and similar track (too wide for most British narrow gauge, wrong rail type - flat bottomed not bullhead, over scale ballast - chicken grit, track profile that is over scale for most things, buildings that are both over and under scale, 1:1 raindrops, turtles, snakes, lizzards, dogs and plants!

I'd love to be able to afford or justify affording accurate scale models, but would have I think, serious problems running scale flanges on scale rail in my garden, even if I had the money.

We call this G Scale, which we shouldn't, as it's not a scale. There are precious few standards in what we do. Every manufacturer makes compromises, even the ones that are apparently finer scale models.

I even run an LGB New Orleans streetcar from time to time. Heaven knows how many rubber rulers were used there! Supposedly 5' gauge running on 45mm track! However from a distance it looks great.

I think the same applies to the Baldwin. The model is supposed to represent one of dozens of similar locos ordered by railroads around the world from a catalogue. Lyn was just one of those manufactured with a number of modifications.

I'm grateful to Bachmann for reintroducing something that looks and feels pretty good and at what is really a toy price. Good on them, and I'll echo an earlier comment that their customer service and guarantee is superb.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well said Martino. I couldn't agree more!

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
it would be nice to see a line up of this, a porter, and a forney,,,

is the coupler the correct hight,,,

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Part of my new one got pulled apart this afternoon, so I could see what the speaker was like. I think it will need to be replaced or Axel at Train Li USA won't get me a sound card! His standards are very high. I also Tried to measure the stall current. My test came out at 5amps. I don't trust my own abilities there, so I'm going to call Bachmann tomorrow and ask them.

Attached are some photos of the inside of the cab with the cab removed.
706e473e9e544f2f9e216e61e2b0f9ae.jpg

4eb40b3499b24ef2963de4c8731e5b8f.jpg

5189da8e155141509c014bcce27d8ba8.jpg

bca28f97685b43cbb0e22774e5f786c1.jpg

1e4cf49083d64010968400ccb4afd93e.jpg

6574d9a2e0684d56a74b472e25ec0664.jpg

As you can see the backhead detail is vastly improved on the earlier version.
This weekend one of my other projects has been to get my original Lyn back into acceptable working condition. Not an easy task, but I did achieve it. From that experience I would say that although the body of the new one is probably based on the old (the cab certainly is) I think they have done a great deal of additional detail, so it's not a direct copy.

I'll let you know what I find out about the stall current and what Axel at Train Li suggests for a DCC card/sound card.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Are both funnels included in the non Southern versions?

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
In my 'black with white lining and red windows/roof version'. I had both the straight and diamond stack.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking of getting two of these shortley. what is the weight and pulling power like? thanks.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
oberinntalbahn said:
In theory I think that would make Lyn more powerful, but with less adhesion it was probably acedemic.
I've read somewhere that 4 coupled locos can actually have more adhesion, because 6 coupled have lighter axle loading, with the weight spread over more axles.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Duncan

Having just done a little bit more testing I'd say that the pulling power of the Lyn is pretty good. It's not going to be hauling massive trains, but certainly has Had no problems with anything I've given it so far. For example a pair of Brandbright VOR bogey coaches and a short rake of goods wagons with loads of shingle. Both were pullled happily as well as being pushed up my short incline by Lyn.
I haven't seen any wheel spinning yet, so I guess the weight is fine.
Sorry the reply isn't a bit more scientific, but in summary I wouldn't worry about the pulling power or weight.

Cheers

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
More wheels will mean more adhesion as you have more contact area. Less wheels is good for speed which is why most passenger locos have fewer big wheels and freight locos have more but small ones.
Higher axle loading is better for adhesion with the same number of wheels than a lighter loco that's all ;)

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
thats great, takes the fun out of it when science is involved.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh I dunno, have you watched Brainiac or Myth busters? Science abuse can be real fun ;)
I'll take some pics of the old and new side by side in a bit see how they compare. Off to do some wiring so I can start testing.

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have the old Lyn bought secondhand on Ebay 15 months ago and successfuly converted to battery radio control. My first outdoor train and still going strong, so very pleased with it. I understand electronics so that part was easy but taking the motor to bits to isolate the wiring from the pick up was very challenging. Will I still have to do that with the new version or have they changed the wiring so I can convert without taking the motor to bits?

Michael