New Bachmann Lyn

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Thanks James - silly Buggers Bachmann, why put it in a Big Haulers box ?

As usual, I don't read posts properly ! Yes please, James, could you do a quick length, width, height ? Thanks :clap:

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Don

Here you go,

Width across tanks and cab : 100mm
Height from sat on my desk to top of cab roof : 138mm (ish!)
Length from tip of cow catchers at either end : 363mm
Length of main body (excluding cow catchers and ignoring slight protrusion at top of coal bunker : 326mm

Cheers

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Brilliant, thanks James :clap: :clap:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, but no way is the 2-4-2 built to 1:20.3 scale - compare it to a connie as you asked Don! I'd say more like 1:24 or maybe even smaller?

OK, this is comparing with my example from the old run of the 2-4-2, but the bodywork is basically the same.

d97a1e05b0204b038f7fab217ccca8c5.jpg

d75d1d9c9f9148f6b93e9332b8869775.jpg

a7a44b0d8f5f481aae9daf4200127a85.jpg

6aecd00d676e49598aeb6e0b81d7b5c5.jpg

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Don Gilham said:
silly Buggers Bachmann, why put it in a Big Haulers box ?
I suspect Bachmann produce two "G" ranges, "Spectrum", relatively expensive and "Big Hauler", much more affordable.
So if they were to put it in a "Spectrum" box it may well have an rrp of twice or three times the current price!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Neil - I don't think of Spectrum as larger scale and Big Hauler as smaller scale, it's more to do with price point and level of detail etc.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Sorry, but no way is the 2-4-2 built to 1:20.3 scale - compare it to a connie as you asked Don! I'd say more like 1:24 or maybe even smaller?
OK, this is comparing with my example from the old run of the 2-4-2, but the bodywork is basically the same.
Nick, you may well be right but, with respect, your comparison may not be fair.
The Connie is probably a model of a three footer, some of these were as large as some British standard gauge locos, whereas Lyn is a model of a small (by U.S. standards) two footer for a British railway.
Take a look at the link for a British standard/narrow gauge comparison, I'm sure these are to the same scale! :rofl:
http://www.festiniograilway.org.uk/...&id=307:prince-on-tour&catid=3:news&Itemid=50 < Link To http://www.festiniograilw...d=3:news&Itemid=50

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
True, I don't tend to think of the 2-4-2 as only a small "two-footer", but simply going by the size of the cab door you'd never get a 1:20 scale bloke inside IMHO! To my mind they don't look right together at all, although of course rule 8 applies and run whatever you fancy!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Seen a SR liveried on and a plain green one (un-lettered) in my local shop today.

£179.99....

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very many thanks James.

I have just ordered a Zimo board for control and sound to go in another project (a Stainz chassis with a GRS Peckett body) from Axel at Train-Li USA. That will come with sound from a GW 57XX pannier, which may be interesting! I may well take your advice and forgo the built in socket and then get a Zimo card from Axel with sound. Having gone through Zimos PDF of available sounds I can't find anything that looks suitable, so might just take a punt on a small non geared engine!

Once again, many thanks for the excellent info.

Martin

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Double post in error! Can't type.......

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Awwwwwwwww.....spoilt mi' fun, I was going to say "Words Twice" :D

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just returned from a trip to the shops and the FedEx truck had delivered my 2-4-2 Baldwin. It's a black one with red roof and windows, not my choice but it was gift so I'm not in any way complaining.

First impressions is that it is MUCH better engineered that the old model. Also much more detailed. Comes with a full set of exploded diagrams and how to remove this, that and the other, and how to lubricate etc.

I have to make the offer that if someone wants to swap this for an equally new Lyn, or green unlettered version, I'm open to the option! Feel free to PM.

If that doesn't happen, then this one will be chipped and fitted with sound, fitted with chopper couplings, cow catchers and buffer beams, and be repainted to look more like it could have run in the UK. Luckily I have some bits off one of my old Lyns that can help.

I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow, just bring everyone up to speed on this version.

Martin

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
I had an old 1990s Bachmann US 2-4-2 (the red Union Pacific version with tender). I bought it up out here in the states for $20 as a non-runner (split gear, dead motor). After two years sitting on a shelf doing nothing I decided to send it back to Bachmann with a cheque for $30 as per their standard repair service. Two months later I received a box with a note saying that the old loco was unrepairable, so in its place they sent a brand new 2-4-2T Lyn! (well actually the black unlettered version). I was very pleasantly surprised.

Compared to the old version it's so much better mechanically. Still looks a bit small compared to most of my other locos though.

So thank you Bachmann for a wonderful deal and great service. It's nice to report some good news about our manufacturers once in a while.

Cheers, Glen

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
While I really like the Lyn and will get one to run with Thomas rolling stock, I feel the cab height makes the loco a caricature rather than a model of the prototype. The prototype has a pleasing height/length ratio while the model looks overly high, almost comical.

Forget the 1/20.3 hype, the loco is not so. The scale statement is I feel a marketing attempt by Bachmann to extend sales. Those who run 1/20.3 scale would not buy if touted as the correct scale, but then what scale is a 2-foot loco running on 45mm track? (do not reply 13.8 scale!)

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Tim, I agree the cab really is quite a long way out. I can't understand why they would choose to make it wrong, as surely they must have done. The tiniest bit of research on Wikipedia now brings up a rather useful side photo of the loco.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/BaldwinLocomotiveLyn.jpg < Link To http://upload.wikimedia.o...ocomotiveLyn.jpg

Compare this with the version below, which I've tried to take from a similar angle:
ff42ea12e97d43178ac9e1dbeead9a8d.jpg

And an overlay of the two
c643da62b1334fc4baa06a64f4d63d00.jpg

And it's clear that the cab and bunker are too tall on the model. Perhaps this is to attempt to make it 'look right' for 'G scale'.
The cab also bothers me a little in that irrespective of it's size it doesn't sit well with the rest of the model - The rest of the model gives the impression of of quite fine detail whilst the exterior of the cab has much less detail.

HOWEVER... I'm really please with mine, it will get loads of use and away from comparison photos and the like it looks fantastic on my line. I ran it for four hours or so yesterday (still with the Hornby decoder so no load allowed) and it performed perfectly. :clap:

I just spotted the cheapest price I've seen for one here (no idea if they have stock):
http://www.pshobbiesandmodelshop.co.uk/bachmann-91106-242-lyn-southern-p-2895.html < Link To http://www.pshobbiesandmo...n-southern-p-2895.html