nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
Richie said:
nico said:
Richie said:
nico said:
Richie whats the building Piko??? kit?
Hi Nico
It's home made built from wood modeled on a Pola kit couldn't afford to spend over a £100 so built one from marine ply covered in wooden strips cost me around £25 to build also built a water tank based on a Pola kit too .
fantastic Richie ,any pics of water tank i am planning on making one
Hi Nico
Heres a few pics of my water tank been out in the garden several years now all made from wood held together with glue and nuts & bolts .
images

images
excellent :clap: whats the diameter of the tank ,did you use drawings :D
bit of a thread drift :rofl::rofl:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Nico.
I only have two buildings (yet) and they are both permanently fastened down. I intend to build more and would like to go down the styrofoam road. As these would be substantially lighter than wood, I had thought of maybe a pair of internal walls (of ply) bonded to the styrofoam and linked together with a horizontal steel rod in the roof space - from which I could suspend a substantial weight (like a brick).

I would bring these buildings in during winter and the weights, as they would just be hooked over the rod, could easily be removed to make the building/s easier to transport.

Mick

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
nico said:
Mick did you source the styrofoam yet??:-

I dont think he want to eat it Nico :rofl:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
nico said:
Mick did you source the styrofoam yet??:-

I dont think he want to eat it Nico :rofl:

No Nico, and not just yet Steve(had my porridge and toasted egg sandwich).

I called in at our local Builders Providers (Foxford) on Thurs for some bags of cement and enquired. Guy there didn't know what I meant (even though I used it forty years ago:rofl:). Pointed me in the direction of Kingspan and Quinn's equivalent - the latter products I had considered before I saw the article in Garden Rail and Mel's superb job with "Narrows".

I've seen loads on ebay and considered getting delivered to my son's in the North but I'm not sure if they'll deliver over the water. I probably need to test the water:rofl:

Have you any suggestions?

I have my drive to finish off, new points to install in my garden layout (to release Rad 1 sets for my trailer layout extensions), get the trailer out and start the mods and then, inbetween shows, start constructing some buildings! I'm also going to build a circus to go with my recently acquired circus train - which will be yet another extension to the trailer and hopefully completed for 2012.

Mick

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
nico said:
Richie said:
nico said:
Richie said:
nico said:
Richie whats the building Piko??? kit?
Hi Nico
It's home made built from wood modeled on a Pola kit couldn't afford to spend over a £100 so built one from marine ply covered in wooden strips cost me around £25 to build also built a water tank based on a Pola kit too .
fantastic Richie ,any pics of water tank i am planning on making one
Hi Nico
Heres a few pics of my water tank been out in the garden several years now all made from wood held together with glue and nuts & bolts .
images

images
excellent :clap: whats the diameter of the tank ,did you use drawings :D
bit of a thread drift :rofl::rofl:
Hi Nico
The tank is around 20cm in diameter and stands about 50cm from the ground . Had a Pola catalogue with a pic of the tank which had a figure stood next to it so from the figure i made up some drawings did the same with the station .

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
well took of the clamps today and to my disappointment the glue did not hold completely.So i have gone for the over kill:D Epoxy I will check it in the morning fingers crossed:D

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
nico said:
well took of the clamps today and to my disappointment the glue did not hold completely.So i have gone for the over kill:D Epoxy I will check it in the morning fingers crossed:D
Could of done with a few more clamps Nico :rofl:

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
nico said:
aww.try some small flat head screw will hold it together if possible?mean u screw it and cover up with wood filler and paint over?;)
try NO MORE NAIL GLUE?:D

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
how it go nico?

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I think he may be stuck:rofl:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
thks god for tht as he c0me out happily with it..keep it posted NICO!
we are lookin forward to see it when u post update pictures..

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
while to overall proportion and placement of doors and windows is great,

to my eye your station will look more american if you
change the windows (if this isnt too much of a pain) to something more rectangular and not square- (longer vertically) and say 6-8 window panes -if this is too much -consider adding a bay window with its own angled roof for one of the windows on the track side

change the chimney-offset to one side a bit, and make it a bit taller-and even the style-the little ledge you have seems very English, Irish etc-but could possibly be the same in the eastern US

shingles ? depending on locale you wish,
and corbels in a US style -
even wainscoating?? or vertical strips to make it look like board and batten construction

colors are fine-green and white were used
as were red and white, yellow and brown etc

also i might suggest the use of US ads, to also add to the impression
other details might include a station lamp or 2 in US style, as well as benchs, a coke or cigarette mahcine, gumball machine etc

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
steven large said:
thks god for tht as he c0me out happily with it..keep it posted NICO!
we are lookin forward to see it when u post update pictures..
happiness short lived ,:mad:.split again ,imay leave it now until i come back from the states,could be even longer getting opp on leg 1 st march a well we will have it sorted soon:D

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
oh dear so same as my harbour were screw up and britte wood!! so i have took it off and take all the wood strip off and bin it and will replaced a better one this week!!! then use garden fence stain paint as i was forget to stain it yrs ago!! lol lol
so u headed off to state??

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hey steve - just to state the obvious in the name of being kind to fishes - make sure you wood preserve the harbour well before you put it in place - assuming it goes on a pond with fish that is! BTW cheque should be in post tomorrow....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
?
IMG_0509.jpg