Massoth DiMAX 800Z unit

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
This perhaps should be in the “help please I give up “ section i have just dug out my Masoth central station out of a box Where it has been for 5 years connected it up to the power supply and track and the handset idled up the locomotive and nothing . The Centers station powered up and the display is working. For starters —— How do I check the output of the unit anyone please?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
May appear bit harsh but touch the wires to that track together to see if the unit cuts out and goes into short mode. If so then power is getting to the track, try resetting it then connect a couple of crocodile clips or just hold the two track wires to the sliders of a locomotive held upside down perhaps in the box it came in. If loco does not work just try another loco if you have one. If the wheels go round then there is nothing wrong with the controller. It may be track connection, dirty wheels, dirty track.......

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well at first to see if there is any voltage at all to the track (is it ac or DC) then check if ther are any commands .

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well i got another meter and i do have 22v ( on the AC scale) on the track. Do the engines lose there addresses if left for years, ie will they need reprogramming?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In theory, they should not..

Can you rig a length of track to the programming output? - You could read the address, CV 1.. :think:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most meters do not accurately measure the square wave of DCC, but sounds like you have output enough.

So now you probably need to know the address of the loco. Put it on the programming track would be a good idea.

If not try address 3.

Greg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
It’s a Fluke meter i tried the second time and got a reeding. I now have confirmed power on the track and the loco is making its standing idle sound. But dial it up on the handset and no movement or light controll. I have never checked CV’s with a handset only ever done it with the PC and I need to reinstall the program off the CD i think.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most will make standing sounds without being addressed. Yes, I'd set the programming track up. Of course if you had a Zimo with Railcomm, the system would automatically find the loco and report back :giggle:

(just showing off)

Greg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Zimo sounds a much more intuitive unit for old numties like me. I have had this unit for 15 years but not used it for the last 5 so have forgotten all about how it works. sad isn’t it?

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg. I just need to do a bit of re learning, i had just expected to plug it all in and naively expected it to just work. modern tech never seems to do that these days

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg. I just need to do a bit of re learning, i had just expected to plug it all in and naively expected it to just work. modern tech never seems to do that these days
I have in the past given some details of how to do programming and reading chips on the prog track, you will need to read CV1 then address the number which sounds like it is not default 3.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
unless he has a long address... best to start at CV29 on the programming track.

Most DCC systems have a dedicated addressing "walkthrough" in service mode (on programming track in programming mode)

Greg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well just an update i went to a friends today who has a working Massoth unit and Bothe my engines worked so did the hand held remote so it must be My DiMAX 800Z that is not putting out anY digital signal

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
May be a silly question but is your Navigator handset tethered or are you using an aerial, I have in the past, had trouble with the aerial unit, giving similar symptoms to the ones you describe.?
Dave

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
i have tried it both teatherd and wirles, with no results. (on my central station) wirlesly it worked first time on my friends setup with my locos. yes the Dcc adresses were the same as there loged into my handset.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
May be a silly question but is your Navigator handset tethered or are you using an aerial, I have in the past, had trouble with the aerial unit, giving similar symptoms to the ones you describe.?
Dave
There is never such a thing as a silly question Dave its so easy to overlook the obviouse sometimes.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Can you post a photo of the front (display) of the Central Station, when it is up and running? - It might give us a clue, perhaps??

PhilP.