Marklin West Germany Tender Locomotive Spur 1 5702

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone here knows a bit more about this Marklin loco. I picked it up off eBay for a pretty good price here in the States, but can't seem to find any information on it on the interwebs. This is a Spur 1 Marklin tank loco, Labeled "GMEB" but no other markings, other than "Marklin, West Germany" on the bottom. It's in what I presume to be it's original box, based on the fit of the styrofoam insert. The end of the box is marked 5702.

Would really appreciate a point to an online manual. Do these run on 0-18V DC?

Thanks much!
Trent

Attachments

• IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5133.jpg
    IMG_5133.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5134.jpg
    IMG_5134.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 0

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any literature to share but it was produced in various guises from the mid 1980s to about 1990 and pre-dates the digital era. Unless someone converted it (which I highly doubt) it is two rail analog ac. - Do not try to power it with a dc transformer/power supply. It was controlled with the same ac transformers that were used with Märklin HO.

If you want to test it you could put it on a rolling road and hook up to the ac accessory output of your transformer. It's going to run fast at the typical 16 vac accessory output voltage!

Edit added: Major date correction! I did find something! This locomotive along with small three axle diesel were the first locos made when Märklin re-started production of 1 gauge in the late 1960's. The following two pages are from Guy R. Williams, The World of Model Trains, Chartwell Books, 1970, pp. 58 and 59.

TWMT - 1.jpeg TWMT - 1 (1).jpeg

Page 59 has a photo of the same Class 80 loco black DB livery.

Last edited:

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I would have been happy as a clown about the good fortune of my purchase and straight out of the packaging ‘fired’ something up with my dc transformer.

john

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harrogate, North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have test run Marklin ac locos on dc but you cannot reverse them using DC. Some have converted from ac to dc using diodes I think. There will be info on the Marklin forum and other forums.
ESU make (or did make) a conversion from ac to dc and the conversion is straightforward, having done one.
I have also converted the diesel shunter to dc by using a dc motor which worked well. This one hauled 20 Gauge 1 mineral wagons around a garden layout at low speed. The problem is the noisy gear train. My other conversions use the same chassis with a geared motor and bevel gear to one axle, retaining only the gears between the wheels. My latest conversion (if I ever finish it) will use a new chassis with a couple of appletree engineering axle hung motor units. All my conversions have used the diesel shunter model, but it looks to be the same basic chassis used for both these early models.
Hope this is of use.
John

8 May 2017
Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone here knows a bit more about this Marklin loco. I picked it up off eBay for a pretty good price here in the States, but can't seem to find any information on it on the interwebs. This is a Spur 1 Marklin tank loco, Labeled "GMEB" but no other markings, other than "Marklin, West Germany" on the bottom. It's in what I presume to be it's original box, based on the fit of the styrofoam insert. The end of the box is marked 5702.

Would really appreciate a point to an online manual. Do these run on 0-18V DC?

Thanks much!
Trent
Trent,

I had one of these many years ago. The original green 0-6-0 GMEB ran on 16 V AC. The Marklin transformer had a reverse switch on the controller which threw the motor into reverse. Sometimes they were converted into DV but the addition of diodes and resistors.

The Reason Marklin originally produced these in AC was an attempt to overcome the build up of tarnish and oxide on the rails.

Hope this helps

Regards

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, John, Martin,

Thanks very much for your replies - that’s very helpful! This cost about what a good used Stainz would go for, so I’m not out much. I might try a conversion approach, or just run it around it’s own loop. I’ve got a variac in a drawer somewhere, so could try that.

Trent

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have not kept up with Märklin HO over the years. The old HO stuff I have stashed away used what I think was a 22-25 Vac pulse to trigger the reverser. I can remember at least 1 loco that would take off like a proverbial "bat out of hell" when attempting to change direction due to a component failure in the loco that fed reverser voltage to the motor!

Last edited:
8 May 2017
Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Trent,

I had one of these many years ago. The original green 0-6-0 GMEB ran on 16 V AC. The Marklin transformer had a reverse switch on the controller which threw the motor into reverse. Sometimes they were converted into DV but the addition of diodes and resistors.

The Reason Marklin originally produced these in AC was an attempt to overcome the build up of tarnish and oxide on the rails.

Hope this helps

Regards
Trent,

Thank you for your acknowledgement. I have a driver figure for this locomotive, it came with another purchase. If you wouls like him please send an email to my Martinwbarnes1956@gmail.com no cost. But please be aware its 1/32 scale

Regards

Martin

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I believe most of the Märklin 1 gauge models released after the dawn of the digital age, the 55xx releases, actually have DC motors even though they came from the factory set up to run on AC.

I just got done replacing the original decoder in a 1 scale Köf shunting loco with an ESU LokPilot 5L. The Köf came with the Märklin 5506 gauge 1 set. The instruction manual, being printed in November 1989, indicates this set was probably released in 1990. The early generation MM (Märklin Motorola) decoder in the little diesel had a switch to select the type of analog voltage you want to use, ac or dc. Interestingly, the model still had one pole of the input voltage flowing through the metal body! The motor and lights were electrically isolated from the body which lets them be controlled by the decoder.

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I downloaded this from the Märklin website in case you had not found it. It is for the 5712 Spare Parts Lists. The site does not acknowledge a 5702! There was no instruction manual available but here is the exploded diagram including the wiring schematic.

Attachments

• 3f581651f482652e11bb8be89d69dfb61434542643.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Trent

Registered
5 Feb 2020
Massachusetts
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil,
Apologies for the belated response - and thanks for this information! I will definitely take a look at mine to see if there is a DC mode