Lumber loads for center beam flat car

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
I’m wanting to make some lumber loads for several center beam flat cars. I think I can come up with a way to make the lumber but would appreciate any recommendations. The thing i really need some guidance on is how to create to logo wrappers for companies like Georgia Pacific, etc.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The 2019 National Garden Railway Convention car was a center beam car loaded with "lumber" wrapped with the Convention and Rose City Garden Railway Society logos on one side and a local lumber company logo on the other. It was a model of a US mainline car. Since I model Irish Narrow Gauge, I really couldn't fit the car on my railway. However, the convention people were kind enough to sell me just a few wrappers so I could make my own load for a narrow gauge car. Alan Olson, alaniicrr@gmail.com, handled the convention store and was my source. If you contact him, he may be able to tell you how they created the wraps. They appear to be printed on some sort of vinyl coated, self-adhesive paper, but I haven't been able to determine the exact type. Good luck!
Ken

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Making the lumber is easy if you have a garden with shrubs or small trees or a friend who does. Just take off straight branches of the right diameter and, if necessary, cut to length. Ideally, do this at the pruning season. Real lumber goes down well with the visitors.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Sticks from a Buddleja bush make excellent logs. Reasonably straight and light

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They appear to be printed on some sort of vinyl coated, self-adhesive paper, but I haven't been able to determine the exact type. Good luck!

Ken,
Would you have a picture, at all?

I have an idea that might work for you, but you would need a suitable colour printer to produce your own.. - Laser, not inkjet, if for use outside.

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I use Pike Fishing Wire with Crimps to group a load of logs so that they can be Loaded and Unloaded with ease. On the basis that a Picture is worth a thousand words....EE5C273E-2A89-4370-B208-C2FDE5C34125.jpeg900AEA3B-0334-49A0-9F36-269BE6094DFB.jpeg3AD13BCC-CEF2-436F-9B5E-5F560579138B.jpeg
the pic above shows an alternative way of securing using Flattened Brass Mains Wire.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, some of those logs look like Elder?

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to all who replied! I’m a new member and this was my first post. I’ll get to work and post some pictures, probably next week.

Hotbox

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum.

You can't beat real wood (from branches) for log loads....

f12e4ed8739c4feba72378602693d636.jpg

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
Ken,
Would you have a picture, at all?

I have an idea that might work for you, but you would need a suitable colour printer to produce your own.. - Laser, not inkjet, if for use outside.

PhilP.

PhilP,

All I have is inkjet but I can probably find someone who’ll let me use a laser printer. By all means, please share your idea.

Hotbox

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP,

All I have is inkjet but I can probably find someone who’ll let me use a laser printer. By all means, please share your idea.

Hotbox

Amongst other things, I have to create 'overlays' for the RC Trains transmitters I build..
For this I use an A4 (European standard letter-size of paper, 210x297mm) self adhesive label stock, which is designed for use on shipping containers. Once stuck, and left for a while, they do not come off!
Obviously they are a 'plastic' rather than paper, can take inkjet or laser-toner, resist sea-water, acid, oil, etc.

You might be able to 'seal' inkjet print with a series of fine coats of (insert spray-varnish / sealer) of choice? :think:

The product I use is:

But once you start looking at this type of thing, you will find a number of different products, all of which will do a similar job.
The above is a UK-based company, but I am sure you will find similar in the US?
(The above will send out a few sample-sheets, certainly to UK addresses, not sure about to the US though?)

Hope this helps?

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP,

Thank you! Great idea. I’ll see what I can find here. I’m thinking I can seal it with a clear fixative that filters UV light that I use on oil paintings

I’ll let you know how it goes and post a picture.

Hotbox

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hotbox,

I have attached (I think) photos of the 2019 NGRC Convention car and the prototype, as well as a picture of the wrap the I received. I don't know about other areas, but in the Pacific Northwest, finished lumber always seems to be wrapped for transport.
NGRC-Proto.JPGIMG_20191127_145554926.jpg
Ken

NGRC2019CarA.jpg

Hotbox

Registered
27 Nov 2019
Brentwood, TN
Best answers
Country flag
The lumber down here in Tennessee it seems is always wrapped as well.

Thanks for the pictures.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Aha I think some of us Brits were heading on the wrong line with answers, not thinking about those giant Centre Split Wagons That carry Cut Timber. Was the Wood always Wrapped in the past?

So to make a Cut Wood Load I have glued off lengths of Wood Together with PVA, to save Wood Planking you coukd glue the Planks to some kind of inner former. Or you could use Solid Wood cut to shape and size, then with a Razor Saw cut in Planking Detail.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Must admit, I was thinking of cut logs, before conversion to 'lumber' (as you are calling it)..
Much finished timber is wrapped in the UK, these days, but being a relatively small country, mainly transported by road.

i would guess most that is for export would be wrapped, if only to help control the spread of pests, across borders?
Would also protect the finished product from the worst of the elements..

You might be able to find a non-adhesive product? - Easier to handle, perhaps?

There is always Tyvek paper:

This might be a little 'heavy' for smaller printers? :think:

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The directions I received for applying the wraps: "Length is 4 and 15/16ths. Home depot seems to be the only outfit that carries 2x2's that have square edges. Peel. Pull tight. Heat shrink and put on the number of staves that you desire. we used three." For folks over the pond, most 2x2's (actual 1.5" x 1.5") have rounded edges, including the ones sold at my local Home Depot. I will have rip down 2x4's to 2x2's to get the square edges.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag