Locomotion Steam Railbus - Getting it going ...

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

I am new here, so please forgive me if I have posted to the wrong sub-forum.

I have been passed a Locomotion Steam Railbus from a relative and am looking to get it working - it probably hasn't been steamed for many years.

There are no instructions, so does anyone know where I can get these - I'd like to confirm that it works and I really have no idea about steaming this!

It does have radio control servos, but there's no transmitter. Given that I will at some point be selling this (since my interest is O Gauge) should I get the RC side of this working, or would most people not bother about RC on this?

Thanks
"G to O"

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so you will need some Steam Oil, a Can of Butane Gas (Halfords sell this) and some wtare. Do not use Tap Water if you are in a hard water area for a test some soft water will be fine but not forever. So Steam Oil will go into a small reservoir which should be drained first. Water in the Boiler than gas into another tank that have a small valve that ought to have been with the loco. You may be able to get it going when steam preasure is blowing off which should read 40psi on the pressure gauge. If the pressure gets above this and the pressure valve does not blow off to keep the preasure at around 40psi turn off the fire and you may need to think about seeing someone to give more advice. Look for perhaps the local 16mm group if there is one near you and you ought to get some help from them.

As for the RC, depends on what you are looking for as without an interested fiddler may find it of interest but you may need to replace the Radio Receiver, simple enough if you get a full set which ought to cost nit much more than £30. But if it is a problem for you to get going you may be better off just moving it on anyway.

Pity you live so far away, down here I could have put you in touch with some of the right guys.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Try the 16mm Association, there's a couple of groups in Scotland. You'll get all the advice you need and if your local, maybe somewhere to test it.

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
thanks, folk. Much appreciated.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I didn't think of that. Sandy Taylor's a great guy with a passionate interest in anything train related - full size and models. He knows the local scene as well, so if he can't help you himself, he'll know a man who can ...............:nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
He called the oil Engine Oil, for certainty this is Steam Oil. Good instructive vid that shows all of the stuff you need to know. Even does things in the correct order Water Oil Gas.

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah. I only watched the video in it's entirety just then and was wondering the same. What does he mean? Engine oil? surely not motor oil... :eek:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah. I only watched the video in it's entirety just then and was wondering the same. What does he mean? Engine oil? surely not motor oil... :eek:
This is the stuff, you must have a supplier in sensible quantities stateside if that is where you are. Certainly do not use Car engine oil.

someone over where you are will surely advise and Roundhouse agent should be able to provide the correct amounts.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Locomotion models seemed to like the lighter grade of steam oil á la Roundhouse. I can't see what he is using on the Youtube movie. However, oscillating motors like most Mamods are also lighter grade users, and the Locomotion models are of the same design.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is the stuff, you must have a supplier in sensible quantities stateside if that is where you are.

Jon, he said he is in Scotland. Sandy at Scottish Garden can sort him out. If he makes contact, that is.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, he said he is in Scotland. Sandy at Scottish Garden can sort him out. If he makes contact, that is.
Keep getting confused by the flags by peoples names. If only all would state at least a County and Country!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I understand your pain. I have no problems with my home town being made public. Nor the country by means of a little flag - many other sites do just that.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I understand your pain. I have no problems with my home town being made public. Nor the country by means of a little flag - many other sites do just that.
I think part of the problem is that the flag can change if you are in another Country with roving location set up on a smart phone. Something that is a must if you wish to navigate by a map abroad but I do not want it posting back home that I am in say Iraq or even Hindia..

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't possess a smart phone. I rarely use the one in the homestead, in the belief that it is the machinations of Satan.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I don't possess a smart phone. I rarely use the one in the homestead, in the belief that it is the machinations of Satan.
That may be so but in a strange country ir town the navigation via an online map and ones location is a great facility. But I do agree with you that they are spawn of the undead.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thats a 3 in 1 oil can, the stock contents are certainly not steam oil, at 9:56 you can see the word ONE and the red circle at top, clearly an older bottle.

1582961194151.jpeg

Attachments

• 1582960665635.jpeg
    1582960665635.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That may be so but in a strange country ir town the navigation via an online map and ones location is a great facility. But I do agree with you that they are spawn of the undead.

Whether or not I'm in the UK, Canada or the US, I know where I am - why do I need a phone to tell me? I don't go to strange countries, and if I do, my cars all have GPS. The problem with having a phone that tells you where you are is that it can also tell somebody else where you are, or have been, and I don't care for that amount of intrusion into what is left of my life.