3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
spot the two deliberate mistakes
Yer bananas ain't straight enough to comply wiv EU regs, and some of yer apples are too red.

Great work there Don. :clap:

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder when those rather useful wooden banana boxes were phased out.  They were hinged and were ideal for storage of some long items.

From memory I guess you could store two quite long locomotives (i.e. Aristo-Craft Mallets) in one.  ;)

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks got some good stuff there to add to my layout

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
well, then it is either that the left box on the planks is upside-down, or i don't know.

one correct, it is not good practice to put full egg boxes upside down!!

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
korm kormsen said:
well, then it is either that the left box on the planks is upside-down, or i don't know.

Your Yolking Don

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Steve said:
Granitechops said:
korm kormsen said:

Your Yolking Don
Either that Steve or me brain is scrambled :rofl:

anyway the guy in charge of this shed has a collection of old wood apple box ends with antique adverts, on racks on the wall

92621e16cefc442dbca73aa03a073c0a.jpg

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
What a brillent thread i love what your doing and as been said before just need some way of making everything water proof
just a few points may be of use
in the past for many years i have delivered overnight refigerated trailers (refers) of fruit and veg from Harwich /Europe to Spitalfields, New covent garden, and Western Markets (nr Heathrow). All different types of Veg require slightly different types of boxs and pallets So a few points may help

1/ There are two different pallet sizes, Standard 1200 x !000mm and Euros 1200mm x 800mm
2/ A 40' container or a 45' Lorry trailer is internally just over 2 meters wide so you can get 2 pallets across of either Euros or standard
3/ As a 40' container is as wide as a railway wagon i suppose the dimesions work to a box car
4/ Most veg gets packed into cardboard Trays these trays are a standard 600mm x 400mm (different heights depending on the veg to be packed)
So you get 4 on a euro pallet on each layer or 5 on a standard
5/ a punet of strawberrys for instants is the right size to pack 24 in a tray
6/ a box of Bannanas would be the same size as a Tray 600mm x 400mm
7/ untill it gets to market a pallet of veg would not be shink wraped in cling film as they are transported in a fridge (refer) and you need to have airfow all around and through the pallet. To keep it together the trays have tags that interlock and then long strips of angled cardboard run the full height of the pallet and the whole thing straped with nilon binding straps
8 The height of the pallet can be upto and is normally 8 feet high though you can have 2 x 4 ft on top of each other
9 finally as veg is alive it creates heat so if you cling film it a pallet would swet and rot

Hope this makes sence and is of some use please ask if you need anyother information
Tony
pallets.jpg

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
how to call that? a modeler modelling the spleens of his model people...

did you just cut out the labels, or did you glue them to veneer?

I imported the artwork from photos into publisher, resized them to a scale 10" square (except for the odd size pear labels), printed them out onto self adhesive A4 label, & stuck them on to some 1" square ( scale 1ft ) 1.5mm thin ply, these were then glued with PVA white onto the wall battens, resting on the lower one & being also pinned to the upper one, to simulate being fixed to the battens with nails. The whole end wall display is a removable insert, as is the new floor & work bench, so that the shed can be used for different purposes & industies

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
EEEERMMMMMMMMMMM becuse when youve just finished a 15 hour night shift after spending the privious day at an auction you let your brain do to much maths without checking your figures i will alter it straight away

good to know someone takes notice of the drivval i type lol

Tony

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
Most boxes will be transported in closed waggons anyway. So it is enough to glue some fakes to a board, to give the impression of a load, if the door is open.

Kistenkulissen21-1.jpg

Kistenstapel21.jpg

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have always liked the look of your smallish freight trains, with their open gondolas filled with goods and tarped over. Other than the excellent examples of produce boxes shown in this topic, what are some other loads that may have been carried in those open wagons?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Euro pallet is 1200 not 1000mm Korm.
Good thread this - nice ideas.

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Madman said:
I have always liked the look of your smallish freight trains, with their open gondolas filled with goods and tarped over. Other than the excellent examples of produce boxes shown in this topic, what are some other loads that may have been carried in those open wagons?
Dan, anything needing to be moved that could be loaded, moved, really.
revenue loads would include sawn timber, minerals, raw or crushed, coal, building products, someone ( sorry cant rem who) had a load of roof trusses,
then theres internal traffic, maitenance tools, cement mixer, mini digger, Dumpy bags of chippings & sand, pipes for drain work, small machinery, pumps, girders,
The beauty of the Narrow Guage is its ad hoc, do it whatever way you can to survive attitude

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
I am having trouble finding more artwork for appleboxes (old Wooden ones) on the internet, there's loads of pics of american boxes.
but I dont seem to be able to find pics of ones I remember from 50 yrs ago here in the UK
anyone any ideas?
there were IIRC N Zealand ones, Australian, Tazmanian, Canadian ones, also in the Uk firms in Kent & Vale of Evesham etc

any one seen any good websites?

not had a lot of results on Flikr search

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers