Not exactly a new member but a great deal has changed!

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
I`ve not been around for a while due to many things changing over the last year. We decided to move house last September, moving from an old 1920`s terrace with massive garden, and the Elmleigh Light Railway, to a brand new 4 bedroom 3 storey house, with tiny garden in Warblington near Emsworth. The move had to be completed in 28 days or so and you can imagine how much work we had to do to dismantle the old railway, pack everything up and deal with all the legal stuff in such a short time. The move was due to my daughter deciding to get married, due next April, and we thought it would be nice to help Katy and her fiance by buying a big house where they could live on the top floor.

We moved in on 31st October and with the railway packed in boxes, they were safely stored in the garage. We spent the next few months furnishing our brand new home and settling in to life in a much quieter location.

During April and May, as the weather got better, we took part in a survey for B&Q where we had to record in photos and video, the planning and building of our new garden. We bought several large wooden planters, which we filled with plants and fruit, had a new patio laid and bought nice new garden furniture.

We are now at the stage of laying track and planning where various buildings will go. The line will be a loop around the garden with a 2 line set of sidings for the loco shed and yard. There will also be a turning triangle to allow trains to travel in either direction. Motive power will be live steam and battery. The workshops have recently received a new Regner Otto to go with Konrad and a rationalisation of other stock is taking place.

Life has taken on another unexpected turn recently when I lost my job with WHSmith after 34 years. I`m in the process of looking for another job, hopefully not retail, where I can have less stress and enjoy something more worthwhile. With my father in law, we are planning to start a Wedding Car business with 3 Armstrong Siddeley Hurricanes. I`ve attached a photo of the cars which we pick up in September.

An awful lot can happen in a year.

3carsweb.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with the new venture Andy....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I hope you find the type of job you're looking for and best wishes for the future project. It is fifty years since I saw an Armstrong Siddeley and I don't think I've seen another since - then three turn up at once!

It will be nice to see your new line progress here on the forum too!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back, and all the best with the new venture!

Who told you anything to do with weddings was not stressful?? ??? :eek: ;) ;)

Remember, we likes pictures, we does.. :D :D

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
A real life turning point!

WH Smugs' loss is another employer's gain.....

Be good to see photos of your line developing

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Just a couple of photos

94639.jpg

This is the style of our new house NB. Not our actual house

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely ! Please do not take offense to what I am about to point out. The structure is beautifully done. Well detailed but not overly detailed. My only criticism is on the roof. Why were the dormers placed asymmetrically ? Why wouldn't the architect have centered each dormer over the two windows on the second floor. I believe you guys call the second floor, the first floor, and what we call the first floor you call the ground floor.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
Why wouldn't the architect have centered each dormer over the two windows on the second floor.

I'm picking that the dormers are placed centrally to the rooms upstairs, and that the stairways ares behind the other parts of the roof. Am I right?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back Andy. Having worked for one employer for a similar length of time, I would imagine its not easy to come to terms with. Remember the garden railwaymans motto : "When in doubt, lay track".

There is a lot of house building going on around here, and the trend is taller, narrower, with a steep roof to offer a third storey. That often means property with one dormer over the living space and none over the stair well. I really wonder if builders will ever offer basements as well ?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
I'd LOVE a basement - so many options

some were to keep the julie... :eek:

very happy for you andy, the carrs look great and its whsmiths lose.. good luck with the cars!

Andy Worsfold

24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Hi Madman,

I hadn`t noticed until you pointed that out. The top floor is a very large room split into a lounge, bedroom and dressing area. The room inside the dormer is the shower room. The other side of the roof has 2 big velux style windows. One house on the estate is owned by a member of Status Quo and another by a member of the boy band A1.

Gavin, you`re correct the stairways are on the right hand side.

At last a few photos showing the progress in our wee garden.

2015-03-25 10.57.16 (1).jpg20150709_141525.jpg20150711_165238.jpg20150719_185350.jpg

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Looks promising Andy :)

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back Andy; second JR's comments. It might be small-ish, but I suspect it will still turn out impressive in the end!