Lineside sound effects

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm always surprised at the cost of those little sound units providing ambient effects around the railway (c£40). Being a bit of a cheapskate, I've made my own (£10) - though I've now seen even cheaper ones on eBay at around £3 each. Here's what I did

Reactions: 1 users

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
No intention of hijacking your thread, and being of a similar vein, a cheapskate, similar idea, using a bare bones MP3 Player

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
What a great idea ! Before I too make the impulse buy, I would like to get your opinion on which of these would be the better choice.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
What a great idea ! Before I too make the impulse buy, I would like to get your opinion on which of these would be the better choice.

Hi Dan
Although the sound quality will be better with the last two, it looks as if they don't have a built in speaker and amplifier and so will only work with headphones. The first one is the same as that which I used.

Rik

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dan
Although the sound quality will be better with the last two, it looks as if they don't have a built in speaker and amplifier and so will only work with headphones. The first one is the same as that which I used.

Rik
Thanks Rik

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Purely as an aside, I did once test the inbuilt motion detection and alarm feature on my 'back-alley' CCTV camera which plays, through its own speaker, a .wav file of a barking dog, to indicate when a train was coming through into the garden from the hidden section of my line. It did work but I abandoned the idea to preserve neighbourly goodwill :D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Imagine if there had been two minutes of assorted farmyard animal noises!?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhilP

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Purely as an aside, I did once test the inbuilt motion detection and alarm feature on my 'back-alley' CCTV camera which plays, through its own speaker, a .wav file of a barking dog, to indicate when a train was coming through into the garden from the hidden section of my line. It did work but I abandoned the idea to preserve neighbourly goodwill :D
I wonder if one of my Infra-Red detection devices would be able to trigger the mini radio receiver ?

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if one of my Infra-Red detection devices would be able to trigger the mini radio receiver ?
Sounds like worth trying. If you can get a bit of 'focus', that would help - the one on the camera is a rather too broad and is triggered by spiders and their webs :D

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I triggered a similar MP3 player remotely with a Deltang receiver. The Next and Previous buttons are triggered by being connected to ground (0v) and so it was fairly straightforward to trigger them with the receiver whose outputs can connect to ground (provided they use the same battery supply or the 0v rails are interconnected).
IMG_0543.JPG

More info on my blog - Creating an MP3 sound sytem

Rik

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
I'm always surprised at the cost of those little sound units providing ambient effects around the railway (c£40). Being a bit of a cheapskate, I've made my own (£10) - though I've now seen even cheaper ones on eBay at around £3 each. Here's what I did
Brilliant…love it.