LGB vs Piko - Buffers

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I understand the argument about gauge scale, and a number of models not being true to prototype, however there is one issue I can't quite get my head around:
Most G Scale is based on narrow gauge, and LGB along with most 16 mm NG have a single centre buffer, so why do Piko have two buffers like standard gauge rolling stock, or are they based on standard gauge!!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Piko varies from 1:29 to 1:32, which makes it closer to standard gauge on 45mm track, LGB varies more widely, but 1:22 to 1:26 about covers it, which would make it closer to narrow gauge on 45mm track.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Many of the Piko models are based on standard gauge models (though sometimes "puffed up" a bit to look better alongside LGB) and come with pairs of buffers, but some locos also come with alternative single centre buffers for a more narrow-gauge look.

For example the BR218 is most definitely a standard gauge loco

PIKO-37501_DB-IV_BR-218_Diesel-Loco_w_factory_Sound-DCC-Decoder_on-tk-lf-rrl-top-2bumpers_1024.gif

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Many of the Piko models are based on standard gauge models (though sometimes "puffed up" a bit to look better alongside LGB) and come with pairs of buffers, but some locos also come with alternative single centre buffers for a more narrow-gauge look.

For example the BR218 is most definitely a standard gauge loco

PIKO-37501_DB-IV_BR-218_Diesel-Loco_w_factory_Sound-DCC-Decoder_on-tk-lf-rrl-top-2bumpers_1024.gif
How'd you get them hazard lights working on you loco? Mine only work intermittently when it goes onto dirty or badly (electrically) connected track.

But to get back to the subject - I've got a few LGB coaches with twin buffers and also the SNCF Mikado. I was led to believe these err towards Gauge 1 in size/scale.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
And a very fine looking one.
Indeed, I have several in N gauge. Have to say the G model looks just plain wrong with the centre buffer fitted.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
How'd you get them hazard lights working on you loco? Mine only work intermittently when it goes onto dirty or badly (electrically) connected track..

I had lots of problems with my 218, taking it apart revealed that many of the electrical connections were loose. Tightened them up and no problems since.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I brought a couple of these Standard Gauge PIKO Shimmns TU wagons recently at Llanfair. Something I just happened to like the look of, and in the same DB livery as my V51/52 locos.

Pk37700.jpg

They were already fitted with single buffers. They are slightly longer than the similar Type Sggrs LGB container flats that I own, but look fine in a mixed consist.

In my mind, my railway is mainline metre gauge (3'6" ish), similar to RhB or NZ gauge, so I'm happy to run these with the single buffers with LGB stock....

Last edited:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say the G model looks just plain wrong with the centre buffer fitted.
Prototype for everything. This is a similar machine ex FEVE now on the Brohltalbahn.

slideD5KNZ.jpg

They also have a Standard Gauge machine numbered 218 396....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eM3SixCngE

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy was 1 min faster!

Yes - Piko BR 218 is definitively standard gauge, scale ca. 1:27.
Some german modelers covert it into a 1.000mm NG Brohltal D5 (built by HENSCHEL, Type DHG 1200 BB - re-imported from Spain / FEVE), and it fits!

The original (just data):
Brohltalbahn = Vulkan-Expreß - Diesellokomotive D5

The model in action:

The original in action:

Andreas

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Love the videos - the difference in size between the loco and coaches reminds me of my N gauge Lima class 31s and mark 1s when I still had good enough eyesight to cope with the small stuff.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a few LGB coaches with twin buffers and also the SNCF Mikado. I was led to believe these err towards Gauge 1 in size/scale.
Yes, some of (M)LGB's products are of SG prototypes. They have made at least 2 DB electric locos, an older type and a more modern version LGB 20310, as well as a DB coach LGB 34310. The clue is that they have 2 buffers, whereas NG stock will have only one.

Also most of LGB US models are of SG prototypes, except for the WP&Y models which are 3 ft gauge. US stock has buckeye couplers, so it's more difficult to determine whether it's SG or NG unless it is a particular line....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Of course, there will always be an 'oddity'.

This Brohtalbahn loco has both a single buffer and offset double buffers for shunting SG wagons on dual gauge track.

SL-20110424-6356.jpg

And the 'Harz Kamels' retain their double buffers from when they were SG machines....

PK37561.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Going into Full Pedant Mode, Gizzy (quickly dons snot-green anorak and NHS specs with sticky tape on the corners....) - that isn't a Harzkamel, it's a DR-liveried standard gauge one, hence the 4-wheel bogies and the double buffers..... the Harz metre-gauge conversions plonked the standard-gauge loco bodies on new 6-wheel metre gauge bogies (to better spread the weight on the lighter trackwork, I think) and fitted single buffers. Piko make both types, with the standard-gauge one in various liveries including several post-reunification DB guises.

Pedant Mode off (about time, that anorak was getting sweaty.....) ;)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... ????????????

Woz there not a Kamel-diesely-thing with both buffers? - The standard gauge ones could be flipped-up vertically, I believe??

Or was this just a modellers 'flight of fancy'? :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed, I have several in N gauge. Have to say the G model looks just plain wrong with the centre buffer fitted.
Well it may look wrong however there are a few prototypes that were built for Narrow Gauge like it or not!

In West Germany the Brohlbahn has both SG and NG versions, the NG one is closest in this picture. A little different I admit but clearly showing similar lines.
image.jpeg
Also in Bulgaria there are these on the Septemvri NG line, this time 750 or 760 mm Gauge.image.jpeg
So perhaps with a repaint and centre buffers 218 can look just fine, I have modified mine to look a little like the Bulgarian one.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Woz there not a Kamel-diesely-thing with both buffers? - The standard gauge ones could be flipped-up vertically, I believe??

Yes a few of the Harz Kamels do indeed have Drop Down Double Buffers to use with Rollblocks.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Yes, those do exist - but the giveaway between the standard and metre gauge Kamels is the four or six wheel bogies respectively.

Jon.