LGB V Piko point comparison

1to3

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
14 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't know they were going to make one. Is that a Piko R3 size or LGB R3 size? I ask because Piko R3 is (almost) an arch that runs parallel to LGB R2.
Yes, they mentioned they are making an R3. (That is Piko R3) So it should be roughly 6' diameter, 1840mm... exactly in-between their R1 and R5.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking to purchase some extra points for a little bit of an expansion and have a choice available from 2 different suppliers;
One only has these:- 35222 PIKO MANUAL SWITCH LEFT 8’/ 2.4M DIAMETER and 35223 PIKO MANUAL SWITCH RIGHT 8’/2.4 M DIAMETER.
While the other only has these:- LGB - 16040 - MANUAL SWITCH, RIGHT, R3 and LGB - 16140 - MANUAL SWITCH,LEFT , R3
As I have no experience with the PIKO brand I am wondering if there is a great deal of difference between the 2 brands.
Anybody have experience with both brand who can give some guidance for or against?
I have an innate dislike of the LGB R3 due to the bad design of the check rail on the curved side. Many locos, including LGB, jolt as they go through the point where the wheel flange thumps the end of the check rail (which is actually too short and therefore in the wrong place).

I do not understand why LGB have never corrected this most basic error.

My personal advice - avoid LGB R3

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Also, the thought of filing the (eight) switch blades by hand is a bit daunting. Of course, I bet there is a machine to help me do this, and I bet also its the thick end of two hundred Quid :)
I use an electric drill with a severe sanding disk, rail held in a vice.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
That's disappointing to read. I've been playing with some track plans and have always enjoyed the idea of adding a DS (or two) to various places. Is the DS known for being a troublesome?
I believe the DS can be from another user I know?

You rarely see them on G scale layouts here in the UK....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
DS are usually problematic compared to a regular switch. The LGB one is also very "tight" in terms of curvature (although I thought there was an earlier one that was more "relaxed")

Normally only used in switchyards, in the yard throat in a very dense switchyard.

Greg