Lgb track cleaning locos

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I changed the cleaning wheels on mine a couple of weeks ago. It runs better. Sometimes, on particularly crusty track, the cleaning motor was struggling, not now with nice new wheels. I think the groove that was beginning to show in the wheel surface was increasing the friction on the motor. I checked back to when I last changed the cleaning wheels - 2011. For 20 quid i suggest a new set of cleaning wheels is a blinking good investment.
Also, with new wheels you don't get the dreaded threads that jam up the axle - because the flanges don't touch anything.

Reactions: 1 user

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I changed the cleaning wheels on mine a couple of weeks ago. It runs better. Sometimes, on particularly crusty track, the cleaning motor was struggling, not now with nice new wheels. I think the groove that was beginning to show in the wheel surface was increasing the friction on the motor. I checked back to when I last changed the cleaning wheels - 2011. For 20 quid i suggest a new set of cleaning wheels is a blinking good investment.
Also, with new wheels you don't get the dreaded threads that jam up the axle - because the flanges don't touch anything.
I thought the idea of the flanges was to lift the abrasive wheels off the plastic frogs on the points and cross overs to stop them wearing the plastic away. The threads then presumably come from friction between the flanges and the frogs?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not with new cleaning wheels they dont.

Alexander0654

Registered
26 Dec 2009
Schoeneck, France
Best answers
Country flag
I assume the older 4 digit number models are just that, older and not DCC ready ?

Alex

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I assume the older 4 digit number models are just that, older and not DCC ready ?

Alex
I have a 2067 that takes a decoder plugged into the board under the rear hood.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The flanges keep the front truck on the track clearly.

I had to read the posts several times to get the point: if the cleaning wheels are very worn, then the flanges will ride into the flangeways of frogs and guardrails.

That makes sense, the thin nylon flanges rubbing the bottom of a flangeway could make "strings" from the friction. Normally the cleaning wheels are so worn at this point, they are out of round, and bounce up and down, giving you the "zebra stripes" on the rails.

Greg

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
The flanges keep the front truck on the track clearly.

I had to read the posts several times to get the point: if the cleaning wheels are very worn, then the flanges will ride into the flangeways of frogs and guardrails.

That makes sense, the thin nylon flanges rubbing the bottom of a flangeway could make "strings" from the friction. Normally the cleaning wheels are so worn at this point, they are out of round, and bounce up and down, giving you the "zebra stripes" on the rails.

Greg
I have just had a look at a new set of polishing wheels and the flanges bottom in the frogs and I guess this is deliberate otherwise the plastic would soon get ground down. As for the "strings" I can't imagine where else the would come from other than friction from the frog.15269780034001172601557.jpg 1526978045274577521413.jpg This set is clearly due for a change and the threads are starting to develop as can be seen from the pics.:eek:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 'thread' problem is more to do with them not being removed after a cleaning session.. - Who put tools away 'dirty'??

The threads are normally slightly warm, and soft after a cleaning session, so can be removed fairly easily.. If left, they harden-up, along with the other 'crud', and this then causes a strain on things next time. - IF the mootr will turn at all?
This is a major cause of burning out motors and electronics.. I then get them to repair!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! those wheels are indeed worn! I have never seen them get that way, normally they are so out of round with less wear that they get replaced.

You must be a careful engineer indeed to get that far (that is a compliment)... Most people here that use them, abuse the heck out of them, never clean them and often don't replace the flanges until they wear off completely...

Greg

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed - well worn. I am pretty darn sure it will run and work a lot better with new wheels.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have to applaud you for getting your money's worth from that set of cleaning wheels and flanges.

I would suspect you should replace the flanges too, although I think the standard replacement kit has the tires and flanges... (I have seen them separately)

Greg

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth sell just the cleaning wheels - LGB sell the full set. I agree Greg - a full set is recommended.

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Massoth sell just the cleaning wheels - LGB sell the full set. I agree Greg - a full set is recommended.
They were replaced with a full set :rofl: of wheels and flanges and the whole lot being given a good clean. And yes very well worn but not really out of round particularly.