LGB starter set speed controller

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys, as a quicky to help me out-does anyone have a starter set controller to hand. I need to know if there's an earth wire inside the 3pin 13A plug? i'm expecting not as the controller is plastic, but just wanted to check. I'm hoping to replace a German 2 pin plug with one of our 13A jobbies as we're both on 230V.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
i've already got one lying around but i've also got a load of plugs in a box and i may have a few of these 2pin to replace. was just checking from a safety point of view that I'm ok.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If the LGB controller is Double Insulated, which I believe is usually the case with a plastic covered appliance, then it will not have an earth wire.

It is quite safe to fit a UK BS 1363 re-wirable plug to the lead if you simply cut off the continental plug. Brown goes to LIVE, the pin with the fuse, Blue goes to NEUTRAL and any Green and Yellow wire should be connected to the EARTH.

You should also fit a 3A fuse, usually red, in place of the 13A brown one.

Also make sure that the cord grip inside the BS 1363 plug grips the outer sheath of the cord, and NEVER the coloured wires.

If in doubt, get somebody competant, e.g. an Electrician, to do this for you.....

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Its ok, i'm a time served electrical maint apprentise with 10 years experience. Basically my question was if the unit is double insulated or not, which as you mention the case being plastic I thought it would be. And I couldn't see LGB making a different controller for the uk market. Thanks for all the replys :)

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
andyspencer said:
Its ok, i'm a time served electrical maint apprentise with 10 years experience. Basically my question was if the unit is double insulated or not, which as you mention the case being plastic I thought it would be. And I couldn't see LGB making a different controller for the uk market. Thanks for all the replys :)
With regard to the question of double insulation,is there not a symbol on the "device" in this example the controller on the base of a square with-in a square???
Some one else with more know how will know :D

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
My unit has not arrived yet so cant check, but yes if someone has one in front of them, the symbol for double insulation is a small square inside a square.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
andyspencer said:

No worries Andy?

My post was aimed at informing those who may not have known.

LGB make grey coloured controllers for the North American market (which is 110 Volts). It shouldn't be possible to buy these here in the UK, but you never know....

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
I'm pretty sure that I have an LGB starter set that came with transformer fitted with a European 2 pin plug, set in an adaptor for use as UK 3 pin. Now where did I store that set Loft or Shed!

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I bought an adaptor for use on my Panasonic digital camera charger last week - from Poundland, cost (yes you've guessed it) £.......................

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
There have been several types of starter set transformer form LGB over the years. The most recent type have been seperate transformers and controllers and the brand of transformer has varied as LGB have sourced them from several suppliers being an off the shelf item. Before there was a combined Buhler made unit with most the red 230v ypes having a German 2 pin plug but those made for the UK distributer had a UK 3 pin plug. As said before the US 110v version is grey and although not intended to be sold outside North American when Lehmann went bust quite a few train sets intended for the US were sold of cheap in Europe.