LGB Spremberger question

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Although I have a number of Playmobil steam outline tank locos and the Playmobil 4502 2-4-0 tender loco, my favourite loco is an early 2750 LGB Spremberger I bought some years ago off eBay for £80 with its nice, chunky businesslike shape.

I've been after another one for some time, but the price has shot up to silly levels, over £100 at times for an early version, plus I want one with the long projections on the cylinders intact. However, I recently bought one, again off eBay, for £94.95 from footplatetrains.

Like my first one, it runs well from the start but there are three of differences - the bell is silver instead of gold, the buffers have a white edging and there are a couple of terminals in the cab floor which the other doesn't have. Both are marked as made in Western Germany.

Any ideas as to what the terminals are for and year of manufacture would be appreciated.

Spremberger 2.JPG

Spremberger 2 cab.JPG

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The long projections on the cylinder fronts are call tail-rods, and actually protected the projecting ends of the piston rod from weather and damage.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Have the terminals volts?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The long projections on the cylinder fronts are call tail-rods, and actually protected the projecting ends of the piston rod from weather and damage.
Thank you, Tac; I end the day a wiser man which makes a nice change.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Although I have a number of Playmobil steam outline tank locos and the Playmobil 4502 2-4-0 tender loco, my favourite loco is an early 2750 LGB Spremberger I bought some years ago off eBay for £80 with its nice, chunky businesslike shape.

I've been after another one for some time, but the price has shot up to silly levels, over £100 at times for an early version, plus I want one with the long projections on the cylinders intact. However, I recently bought one, again off eBay, for £94.95 from footplatetrains.

Like my first one, it runs well from the start but there are three of differences - the bell is silver instead of gold, the buffers have a white edging and there are a couple of terminals in the cab floor which the other doesn't have. Both are marked as made in Western Germany.

Any ideas as to what the terminals are for and year of manufacture would be appreciated.

View attachment 290848

According to LOK it is a 2075 made between 1974 and 1982. The picture on p 79 of LOK shows the silver bell, white edging around the buffer and screw in the front. Looking at the LGB Kompendium vol 1 p 110 it could be edition 4 as the early editions had no bell, so likely to be an 80's model.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
According to LOK it is a 2075 made between 1974 and 1982. The picture on p 79 of LOK shows the silver bell, white edging around the buffer and screw in the front. Looking at the LGB Kompendium vol 1 p 110 it could be edition 4 as the early editions had no bell, so likely to be an 80's model.
Thanks, Dave.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
No, no sign of anything.

Maybe they aren't terminals, which raises another question - what are they then?
I have no idea what they are intended for, but it looks like they could be used to hold a figure in place.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have no idea what they are intended for, but it looks like they could be used to hold a figure in place.
An interesting thought as I intend to add a crew. I think I may also do a light bulb test to see if they are live when power is fed to the loco's wheels.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a clamshell motor block. I've seen them with similar terminals atop them which make contact for lights, in some locos.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting thought as I intend to add a crew. I think I may also do a light bulb test to see if they are live when power is fed to the loco's wheels.
A quick touch to one of the screws to each side of the wheels or skate with a Meter if you have one wound confirm that for you.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
if not terminals for a light, maybe terminals for a speaker, for some kind of sound?

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Didn’t they also make a battery version of that loco? Could those terminals be for battery connection?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Didn’t they also make a battery version of that loco? Could those terminals be for battery connection?
Probably not, the battery one had plastic wheels and if memory serves the batteries went in the boiler