Lgb Reed switches

BobbyM

Registered
20 Apr 2020
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I’m using Reed switches to switch turnouts and isolate sidings. Can I use the same switch to operate a semaphore signal simultaneously? i.e. one wire out to the turnout and the other wire out to the signal.
thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I’m using Reed switches to switch turnouts and isolate sidings. Can I use the same switch to operate a semaphore signal simultaneously? i.e. one wire out to the turnout and the other wire out to the signal.
thanks
See no reason why not if the power is up to it. After all it is just an electronical control function. However if it does not work an alternative may be to try to use an Auxiliary Switch, however this may cause issues unless you have a similar one on the signal that cuts off juice to the signal once the relevant route has been set. This is where automation of signaling starts to get tricky.

BobbyM

Registered
20 Apr 2020
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I’ll give it a go when it stops raining.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
LGB's switchmotors and signal motors are the same on the inside.
so you can hook them up in paralell to a reed.
if hooking up two of these motors, the 14V AC from the smaller regulators/transformers might not be strong enough.
with a 16V AC dedicated transformer it works fine for me.
every now and then a reed serving two motors burns out.
more than two motors per reed does not work reliable.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Has LGB ever rated the reeds for current or wattage?
to my knowledge not.
but they recommend one reed per motor and the smaller powerpacks have output of 14V AC.
considering the german preference of "security margins", i think that using 1 reed for 1 motor 12 V AC should be enough.