(LGB point motors and switches) Didnt know where to post this...so....

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag

Sammler

Registered
1 Feb 2011
Best answers
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but could LGB Points or Signals be powered from a 12 volt AC output power supply and an LGB switch box?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Sammler said:
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but could LGB Points or Signals be powered from a 12 volt AC output power supply and an LGB switch box?

I don't believe that 12 volts is enough power to operate the switch drives. Normally, the LGB AC output, on their transformers is about 19 volts. And even then a power boost is required to operate the switch drive. It is possible to operate LGB switch drives using DC and a monetary DPDT toggle switch. Similarly, Piko switch drives actually require DC to operate. Their system is set up for DC operation. The only disappointing aspect of Piko switch drives is they weak connection of their supplementary switch to the drive. I tried a few. While the switch drives worked very well, better than LGB I think, I had to secure the supplementary switch to the switch drive with zip ties.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They will work off of a 12v battery.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I find mine are a bit sluggish and a touch unreliable on 12v so I use 15v+. It may be volt drop on the cable, but I don't think they are that long (max 20ft ish) though they are light section.