(LGB point motors and switches) Didnt know where to post this...so....

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Re:Didnt know where to post this...so....

Steve as said by omeone earlier on in this thread any 12+ d.c. transformer will do the job, an old Scalectrix or Hornby Double O. I use an LGB starter set controller, but connected to the d.c. side, not the a.c.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers

Blimey if it makes things easier I'll sell you a good used box for $35.00 + shipping at $30 priority mail from the peoples republic of California.................................Then all you need is a small A/C transformer (starter set transformers are good) and your good to go..................

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

12 volt battery, push button, changeover switch - no mains electricity. SAFE!

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag

the whole point of using AC instead of DC is to protect the expensive turnoutmotors.

the switchbox is nearly empty inside.
if you use a cheap rockerswitch (like those used for opening and closing car windows) and two diodes (one forward and one backward at the out connections of that rockerswitch), you have copied the LGB switchbox at a fraction of the price.
both, the original and the copy will give you an "intermittend" DC current, that can't burn the turnout motors.
the most expensive part (and i strongly recommend to use it!) would be a used LGB-transformer from a starterpack.
(the black and the white connectors are 16V AC. white goes to the rockerswitch, black goes to the turnout. staying with LGB-colours, orange is connected BEHIND THE DIODES to BOTH outlets of the rockerswitch and goes to the turnout.)

as you don't need permanent current, one small transformer can be used for dozens of turnouts.
but do not hook more than two (at the most three) turnoutmotors on one rockerswitch. (if too many, some might not switch over the whole way)

edit: i know, i am the only one so far to recommend AC, but the difference what you need to use the safer AC are just two diodes. (if you would use a starter powerpack anyhow)

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers

Steve
When i started to mess with electric points i had a hard
time getting my head round it too.
A very kind old chap lent me an LGb switch box and a Playmobile
power pack 12v i think, we wired the box to the Playmo AC out let
and It worked fine
I have since picked up 2 Playmobile power units, one of E-bay
£12.75 + £3p&p The other at a show for £10,
I have also obtained (second hand) 5 LGb switch boxes from
various source and the most expensive was £25, cheapest £3 (but no lid)
So not to expensive compared to burning out a motor at £15-£20
a piece.
With the 5 switch boxes i easily run 16 sets of points and a couple
of electric uncouplers using one power pack (but only change one point
at a time)
The switch boxes are also water proof so can be left out side:clap:
The only problem and i think its due to the low 12v supply is a far set
of points if not used for a few weeks can be a bit stiff at first.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag

Of course, in the US they seem to be very keen on using compressed air to change points...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

I must agree with those that have pointed out the case for using AC power. At first, like Rob S. I had a very difficult time understanding how the EPL System operated. Then one day, in an epiphany, it came to me. Forget about everything you think you know about simple electricity. In other words, Black to Black, White to White and Payday is Friday. I picked up the book, "The World of LGB". From that time on, the EPL System has made good sense to me. My locos are equpped with switching magnets that trip turnout positions and operate signals. If a loco happens to stop over a 17100 track contact (reed switch) you will not burn the switch drive motors out.

Whom ever invented the EPL System certainly made life alot easier and stress free for the garden railway hobbiest.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag

Madman said:
I picked up the book, "The World of LGB". From that time on, the EPL System has made good sense to me.

for those, who are interested, i have a copy of that book online.
it is a .pdf, so easy to download.
on my site (link in the signature) scroll down, it is the last link on the left side, called "copy of lgb manual".

steves

Registered
7 Sep 2011
Cambridge & Peterborough UK
Best answers
Country flag

I cant see your signiture? Am I missing something here?

korm kormsen said:
Madman said:
I picked up the book, "The World of LGB". From that time on, the EPL System has made good sense to me.

for those, who are interested, i have a copy of that book online.
it is a .pdf, so easy to download.
on my site (link in the signature) scroll down, it is the last link on the left side, called "copy of lgb manual".

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

Underneath the dotted line Steve

http://kormsen.info/ < Link To Korm's Southern & Gulf RR

steves

Registered
7 Sep 2011
Best answers
Country flag

it would appear that if you are accidentally in "mobile" mode you do not see the signiture. Just changed to "normal" mode and alas, i can now see the site below the dotted line, before, there was no dotted line let alone anything below it, lol :clap:

nimbus

Registered
23 Dec 2009
Best answers
Hi Steves,
Just had a look on GRS website, and they have a second hand LGB transformer LGB No, 51080 18Volt A/C £15-00. I have been using one of these for about 10 years, wired up as in Neil`s diagram. I have 11 point motors working from it. I live in Cambridgeshire. Send me a PM if you want to contact.
Cheers.

peterexmouth

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag

Just to make things a bit clearer, the 2 contact LGB point motor operates on DC. If you have a 12 to 18 volt dc supply or battery and connect it to the point motor it will move to one position (if it is not already there). If you reverse the supply it will go to the other position. You only need a momentary contact to make this happen. If you leave the supply connected to the point motor, then it will get hot and not like that very much, but up to about 20 seconds won't hurt. The motor has a resistance of about 22 ohms, so if you operate it with 15 volts you are heating it with 10 watts. The dc supply can be obtained from half wave or fullwave rectified AC , or a battery, and the current drawn will be about 0.7 amps.

Peter

steves

Registered
7 Sep 2011
Best answers
Country flag

peterexmouth said:
Just to make things a bit clearer, the 2 contact LGB point motor operates on DC. If you have a 12 to 18 volt dc supply or battery and connect it to the point motor it will move to one position (if it is not already there). If you reverse the supply it will go to the other position. You only need a momentary contact to make this happen. If you leave the supply connected to the point motor, then it will get hot and not like that very much, but up to about 20 seconds won't hurt. The motor has a resistance of about 22 ohms, so if you operate it with 15 volts you are heating it with 10 watts. The dc supply can be obtained from half wave or fullwave rectified AC , or a battery, and the current drawn will be about 0.7 amps.

Peter
Half wave rectified, is that the safe way of doing it?

peterexmouth

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Devon
Best answers
Country flag

Half Wave rectified is fine, but you still only need a momentary contact. I think you would have to use a transformer with a 15 volt output if you are using half wave rectification. You get a peak output of about 20 volts DC by half wave rectyfing 15 volts AC, but the average will be about 10 volts.

Peter

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

Think of the a.c. current this way. A stream of, pos, neg, pos, neg, pos, flowing down the wire.

Fit a diode in the wire and it will block one of them, so you now get - pos, nothing, pos, nothing, pos.

Now take the diode out and turn it round the other way and it will block the other one, so you will now get - nothing, neg, nothing, neg, nothing, neg.

[style="color: #000000;"]So you see if you now put a diode in each wire, facing opposite ways, you get a sort of d.c. (half-wave).

Mr B.

Registered
14 Oct 2011
Best answers

Neil Robinson said:
You will need a two way centre off momentary switch for each point (or series of points if operated as, say, a pair on a crossover). These are often described as (ON) OFF (ON) switches.
If you use an AC supply you only need a single pole switch but you need a couple of [style="color: #ff6600;"]diodes as well, if you use a DC supply you'll need a double pole switch. Typically 18V nominal AC or 12V nominal DC supplies of 10VA or more are O.K. Just try it and see if an existing supply works. If operation is a bit iffy you could try thicker wiring to minimise volt drop as an alternative to a higher voltage supply.

I am now trying to work out the electric point control on my layout. I understand from the original post above howthey are controlled. What size are the Diodes how do I find out if I wish to make my own control box?

Mr B.