Best answers

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Hello dave.
I thought these were factory fitted with DCC chips and sound?
I'm guessing it would be a little bit complicated, given the size of the loco but if i was where you are are for chipping i would start with something like a stainz or something like that, if you are looking for somebody to chip it, i would use P&S Hobbies because he fits them for free you just have to pay for the chip.
Hope this helps!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dave, what LGB model number is it? Like Phil, I also thought the American Mikado models all came DCC and sound fitted? (mine did!)

I think there was a version of the French Mikado that was DCC fitted but not sound, but not aware of any that didn't have factory fitted chips?

Very pleased with my Mikado (bought second hand from a GSC member). Being quite old in DCC terms, some of the sound functions don't map to what have become the "de facto" standard function numbers, and the chip in mine won't recognise 128 speed steps (but will run 14 or 28 steps). There was a guy recently on the JMRI yahoo group who fell into the 128 speed step trap: lots of clever folk had him doing all sorts of decoder resets and cv changes trying to get it to work, fortunately I was able to advise him just to change the JMRI throttle settings and off he went!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Dont think you will need the 6 amps of the XXL. The XL will do you fine. XLS of course comes with full digital sound.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Ok here is some more information as requested.

The loco is LGB model 20872. made in Germany in 2001. It does have digital sound, which the instructios say if fitted with a chip has eight functions.

The instructions also say it has a direct digital interface which I have no idea what that is, but there is a mention of needing to add a chip for MTS running. but it will not need some sort of cable that is usually required.

That is about all I know so my interpretation of the instructions is I need a chip. hope this can help get to the bottom of this.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The "direct decoder" symbol means that an LGB decoder plugs directly onto the existing loco circuit board, without needing any additional wiring harness.

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,
interesting. I guess this must be an older run of the model, as the instructions for 20872 from Champex-Linden's database that I'm looking at says it has factory fitted MTS.

Still, as Jon says if it's got Direct Decoder Interface that means you just need an LGB 55021 decoder or the Massoth equivalent (8154001 I think) that plugs into the loco's main board. You may have to flip some dip switches on the board. Most folk would probably say get the Massoth decoder it's usually a little cheaper and yet newer and better.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
You might as well pull the loco's main board and take a look? It comes out through the front of the smoke box - you have to remove the plate with the volume knob and then slide out the board.

There's an old thread about the early run Mikados on MyLargeScale.com, with some useful photos of the main board removed.
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/4/aft/54023/afv/topic/Default

If you're able to view this thread (not sure if maybe you need to be a registered member of MLS), then the photo 1/3 way down the first page shows a 55021 decoder in place, it's the rectangular board upper left of the bunch of capacitors that the guy has annotated.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
You're right the French version was DCC ready but no sound.
2d35bf6d990649a994ee9b3a81fa60d8.jpg
Heres mine.

Not a job for starting chipping. IMO:nerd:

But good luck if you go ahead:clap:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried it on digital?

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Good question, actually, the answer is no I have not, I'm on analouge right now, but I was worried about taknig it onto digital layouts without a chip. (i dont really want such an expensive loco to fry)

I will be taking it to Whatleps open day on the 16th April, so I geuss we'll find out for sure then.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Have you actually run it????????
Does anything happen.?
If it is digital it will run on either mts or analogue.You should still get sound either way
If it is unchipped then on MTS you will just get a buzzing from the motor.
You might see if whatlep has a progarmmer to find out what number it is set on(saves going through every combination) the default is Three

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
I have tested it on analouge, there is lots of different sounds depending on how many volts, I feed it. Also it makes differnet sounds when I run it over the magnets that were included.

I think I'll wait to take it to whatleps and see if there is a chip before I open here up.
I'll let you all know after the open day for those who won't be there.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Dave Hub said:
Hello,

I renectly aquired an LGB Mikado locomotive (The american outline one). I wondered if any one has chipped one of these before, is so how difficult is it? I have never chipped a loco before so thought I'd start with this one.

This is the decoder I was thinking of is it suitalbe?
http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/massoth-8153001-emotion-xxl-locomotive--decoder-2343-p.asp

Cheers in advance

Hi Dave

Just caught up on this. You lucky man!! :clap:
Bring it along on April 16th, if only so I can drool all over it! From the info you gave earlier, I'd agree with the previous poster who advised you only need a 55021 with no 55026 interface cable, BUT the data you've supplied surprises me for two reasons. The 20872 was supposedly delivered with MTS factory-fitted and a 55021 can only handle 1.8 amps. A beast like that must draw quite a bit of current. We can check that....

Let's do some [strike]playing[/strike] testing in April!

Last minute thought. What numbers/symbols are on the underside of the gearbox? In particular the number 2xxxx and any decoder stickers (white dots/ direct decoder etc)?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Its a single motored loco Peter so 1.8 amp should be enough. Even if it has the bigger motor (like the Rugen 8 wheeler) it should hardly pull an amp.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dave I love the way you just casually slip in "I recently acquired an LGB Mikado.."

Any piccies mate?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
3Valve said:
Dave I love the way you just casually slip in "I recently acquired an LGB Mikado.."

Any piccies mate?
Yes I thought that too Gareth ............. oh, by the way, just been out this afternoon and bought a Ferrari F40. Well, I saw it as we were passing the showroom and the wife liked the colour .................. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Be interesting to see how it gets on on the old Pootank Pass :clap::clap:.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:

I'm hoping it has as much traction as a skiier on a glacier :clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
3Valve said:
yb281 said:

I'm hoping it has as much traction as a skiier on a glacier :clap:
Now that WOULD be embarrasing :D.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dont want to scaremonger, *but* if Dave's Mikado is indeed an early production run (it may be if it has no decoder factory-fitted), just be aware that I've read there were problems reported with the drivetrain on some of the early ones - to the extent that the mech was modified and hopefully most early locos recalled and refitted. I think it was a problem that affected the ability to run round R1 curves, and the drivetrain actually failed in some cases.

Sincerely hope Dave's new beastie isn't one of these. Go easy with it!!