LGB 'Jackson Sharp' coach dimensions

A

Alco K28

Hi All,
I'm looking to mix and match some of my rolling stock. Following on from my successful request for Bachmann coach dimensions, could some one please help with the dimensions of the LGB variety?
The Bachmann coaches are about an inch thinner than my K-28 tender and look, lets say, a bit undernourished! Therefore I wondered if the LGB offerings are to the correct width?
Many thanks,
Richard

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
are you talking about the American clearstory ones like a 3080?

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Answering a question that you have not asked!!!

According to my copy of Slim Gauge Cars by Carstens the D&RGW cars measured:
8' 6" wide for parlour cars Alamosa, Chama and Durango - 115.1mm in 1:22.5 scale
8' 6.5" wide for a narrow gauge coach (No. 327 ) - 115.7mm in 1:22.5 scale
8' 5" wide for Chili Line Open End Coach.(No. 320) - 114,0mm in 1:22.5 scale.

My Bachmann coaches measure 104.4mm wide. So yes, they are about 10mm too narrow to represent a D&RGW coach.

So apart from being too narrow and too short they are fine, and the height is correct at 94.8mm. Just need to splice in more width and length!!!!

As for LGB coaches I am afraid I am no help as I don't own one.

Sorry if the above didn't answer your question, but it helped me!

Tim

Reactions: 1 user
A

Alco K28

Answering a question that you have not asked!!!

According to my copy of Slim Gauge Cars by Carstens the D&RGW cars measured:
8' 6" wide for parlour cars Alamosa, Chama and Durango - 115.1mm in 1:22.5 scale
8' 6.5" wide for a narrow gauge coach (No. 327 ) - 115.7mm in 1:22.5 scale
8' 5" wide for Chili Line Open End Coach.(No. 320) - 114,0mm in 1:22.5 scale.

My Bachmann coaches measure 104.4mm wide. So yes, they are about 10mm too narrow to represent a D&RGW coach.

So apart from being too narrow and too short they are fine, and the height is correct at 94.8mm. Just need to splice in more width and length!!!!

As for LGB coaches I am afraid I am no help as I don't own one.

Sorry if the above didn't answer your question, but it helped me!

Tim
Very useful, thanks!

A

Alco K28

Thanks...still about an inch too narrow for my loco. I’m going to check out the 1:20.3 Accucraft coaches. They are the correct width, a more realistic length, but about 1” too tall. I think I can live with that though:)

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
These Custom Model Products coaches are aprox 5 inches wide and aprox 6 5/8 inches high from the rail to the top of the clerestory

Attachments

• 001 a.jpg
    001 a.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 003 a.jpg
    003 a.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Richard, you might check and see what size the older aristo craft western coaches are, I know they were shorter than the LGB by just a little but if I remember correctly they were wider and I've seen several on g scale swap and shop and e bay, good luck

A

Alco K28

Richard, you might check and see what size the older aristo craft western coaches are, I know they were shorter than the LGB by just a little but if I remember correctly they were wider and I've seen several on g scale swap and shop and e bay, good luck
I’m nipping out to check out the Accucraft coaches over the next day or so. I’m taking my loco as a measuring stick :)

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Bachmann coaches are by average about 1:24 although approximately 6ft short compared to the prototype. I don't have an LGB J&S coach but kinda like the look of the window sills that seem to sit lower. Interesting it being wider than the Bachmann model. Perhaps it is more along the lines of 1:22.5. The AristoCraft coaches look shorter again and likely to be 1:24 scale.
The Accucraft 1:20.3 scale J&S coach is in a totally different league compared to the LGB, Bachmann and AristoCraft models. It is full prototypical length and a much larger model overall. It will make your yardstick look small.

Accucraft & LGB coaches together in image below borrowed from linked forum post.
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Carter Bros Coach Kits for $152

jslgb1cropres.jpg

A

Alco K28

The Accucraft coaches come in at just about 11mm above the tender brakemans’ hut and 17mm higher than the loco cab roof. I read an article (trying hard to find it again) on lowering the coaches by a few mm which will improve matters. What I can’t do is add the extra 25mm to the width of the Peko, Bachmann or LGB coaches. I could have a go at increasing the length, but it just seems better to go with the Accucraft coaches. I’ll post some photos once the coaches are home.

A

Alco K28

More than happy :)

B44812B0-B7BA-47EF-8C8B-64404A84F2BC.jpeg
214364EB-F73C-4B02-981B-2406845B2A1D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That back-scene is cheating!

They may be big, but not THAT big! :p;):giggle::giggle:

A

Alco K28

That back-scene is cheating!

They may be big, but not THAT big! :p;):giggle::giggle:
Here’s the beast sat next to my 0 gauge loco.....
ED70ED54-93BF-4078-856C-16C8058E82BC.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If it was a nautical scene, it could be captioned:
"Pilot's launch comes alongside.."
:):rofl::rofl:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
These Custom Model Products coaches are aprox 5 inches wide and aprox 6 5/8 inches high from the rail to the top of the clerestory
Those Custom Model Products haven't been available for several years. They were made by Accucraft for a gentleman in Calif, and he died and his widow sold off the stock.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
. . . .

Accucraft & LGB coaches together in image below borrowed from linked forum post.
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Carter Bros Coach Kits for $152

jslgb1cropres.jpg

I would suggest pursuing the thread linked above. The Carter Bros coaches were a "masterclass" project on Mylargescale.com and are relatively easy to build. Harald of the Lasergang still makes the kits.

S-Carters-3.jpg

197.jpg

See also:
Carter Brothers Coach Kits. - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums
MasterClasses and Articles Index and Downloads - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums