A Sharp Stewart 2-6-2T

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve not contributed much here lately, so I wondered if forum members might be interested to see the most recent addition to the locomotive fleet. Like my Beyer-Peacock Mogul, No. 71 is built on a much-modified LGB chassis which was acquired cheaply on eBay minus tender. It ran so well that I just attached a spare Bachmann tender to it and painted it black, but it was always intended to be the basis for something else. A friend told me that I needed a project, so I took a deep breath and stripped it down, thinking to myself that it never looked like any American 2-6-0 that I’d ever seen anyway. Then Covid struck, and the project proceeded much faster than my usual glacial pace! The inspiration is a series of 2-6-2T built for Spanish railways by Sharp Stewart around the end of the 19th century. The intention was to model a La Robla example, but I couldn’t work out how to reproduce the outside Walschaerts valve gear. Then I came across a couple of photos of a Vasco-Asturiana loco which appeared almost identical, but had inside valve gear so I had no more excuses not to start. I had to make my own drawings from photographs for this one, and like my other locos it has detailing in the house style (e.g. air brakes) rather than being a wholly faithful copy of the prototype. Construction is much like the Beyer in plastic sheet. The boiler is an acrylic tube and rivets are applied individually (don’t look too closely). Power is from the track, picking up on all wheels with the pony wheels running on split axles, and performance is as smooth as the original loco though the haulage capacity is less as it’s quite a bit lighter, but she’s quite happy with the four coach local which is her regular job.
Phil

P5113422_3.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
What a great job. Those rivets must have taken you hours. Very well done.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, I know a man that visits my line that would love that. I guess he will be on the lookout for a cheep LGB US 2-6-0 now.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful model. Any pictures of it with its coach set?
Thank you ! here's a quick and rather low-res shot of the local passenger. I might have another go if the weather warms up a bit !

Phil

P5113580.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, I know a man that visits my line that would love that. I guess he will be on the lookout for a cheep LGB US 2-6-0 now.
Can't think who you mean! Love it very much, and yes, the brain cells are now stirring :D

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
That certainly looks the part! Did you take any pictures of the process/build. There are a number of us always interested in chopping things up and producing something different/ unique. It would be good to see the ‘how’ illustrated
Inspiring.

Reactions: 1 user

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you ! here's a quick and rather low-res shot of the local passenger. I might have another go if the weather warms up a bit !

Phil

View attachment 314234
Phil

Looks great. Interesting train. It is always good to see something a bit different, not straight out of the box. Thanks for posting

Simon

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That certainly looks the part! Did you take any pictures of the process/build. There are a number of us always interested in chopping things up and producing something different/ unique. It would be good to see the ‘how’ illustrated
Inspiring.
I don't usually photograph the build but this time I did take a few which I hope are of interest
The basic outline :-
SStewart_1.jpg

With the addition of some of the turned parts, which were made for me by a friend who is a proper engineer!

SStewart_2.jpg

And before the fitting of plates, etc.

SStewart_3.jpg

As far as I can measure it, the sand dome is straight !

Phil

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting! Very impressed with your rivet detailing. Good looking model with some impressive use of styrene in the build. Did you turn the chimney, it’s very elegant!