LGB I.C.E. versus L.C.E. - similarities/differences?

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
My pal has bought an LGB ICE train of 5 coaches with one power block. We also have been offered an LGB LCE 90950 set with an extra 90954 diner car. We are wondering what is common between the two, as the LCE is not in our hands (yet.)

Clearly the power cars are different - the ICE has a greater slope on its snout than the LCE. And the decor is a little different. But here's our questions:
- is the power truck the same, with the same sideframes? If we bought the LCE could we put its power block under the ICE
- are the inter-coach connector vestibules (drum-type things with wheels) the same?
- are the coaches the same, but with different window stickers?

As you can tell, we are wondering if, should we acquire the LCE set, how much of it can be used on the ICE.

[Incidentally, what is the LCE a model of? Google can't tell us anything!]

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The ICE seems to work very nicely.

The sound is from a Revolution receiver in Diesel mode. We've been debating what an ICE sounds like - I said it had to "woosh" at 300 kph. But I'm sure it has fans like a diesel for cooling and I thought that sound on the video was/is fine. I did watch some YT videos, and I extracted the sound file off one and concatenated it into a lot of wooshing (removed all the beeping horns, twittering birds, etc.) I don't think it sounds any more realistic. I'l ltry to add it so you can compare.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The LCE model is based on the style of the German ICE 1, whereas the ICE model is based on the ICE 3.

I think the power blocks are the same in both models, but I cannot be 100% sure as I only own the Amtrack LCE set

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Best answers
Country flag
We have an 8 car ICE train and I love it.

The power blocks for the ICE and LCE trains are the same. Everything between the two sets will connect together. We have a power block at both ends of the train and I think we may be reaching the limits of how long a train they can push/pull. Lots of wheel slip when starting up.

The LCE coaches are much lighter in color compared to the ICE. The LCE is close to white while the ICE is more gray and the vinyl for the doors and windows is slightly different. I just connect everything up and run and don't get too concerned about it.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
If you want to fit sound, The Massoth 8230520 Inter City Express (ICE III) is the one to fit.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
When I fitted a DCC decoder on my 4 car Amtrak set, I ran a wiring harness through the set to allow directional lighting to be fitted and controlled by the single decoder.

Unfortunately the photos show up the wonky stuck-on lining on these cheaply rendered models.
DSCN3461a.jpg DSCN3460a.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Newqida also did a cheap battery powered version of the ICE 3 model called TCE, and from what I've seen on videos they used the same steam loco sound module as in their battery 2-6-2 tank loco !!!

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Another video of the ICE on Jack's Calusa Creek, for the previous owner.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
And a curious situation. Anyone take one of the power blocks apart?

20180327_110354-ICE-front-truck.jpg

We have a curious situation with the power block that someone might know something about. When we first ran it (video in first post) the wheels/axles on the power truck could drop down so far the gears went out of mesh. The set would stop on bumpy track and you could hear the gears almost meshing as the motor spun. (The owner had replaced a traction tire so we thought maybe something was missing.) Today it stopped occasionally as if the gears were binding. I took the bottom plate off and couldn't see any reason, so I carefully replaced it.

20180327_110426-ICE-front-wheels.jpg

Now, only the front axle can lift up enough to un-mesh the gears. And it ran without binding although it slowed in a couple of places.

All I can think about is that maybe the motor has shifted? Anybody had one of these apart?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does this block have the small thrust ball bearing at one (both?) ends of the motor shaft?

If so, could it (they) be missing? - This would probably allow enough movement for the gears to 'un-mesh'??

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Does this block have the small thrust ball bearing at one (both?) ends of the motor shaft?
We will have to check . .

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
We will have to check . .
There are no ball bearings on these units. The motor appears properly seated. The axles are held in place by the projections on the bottom plate. The ones I could see in your photo look ok. Check that the bottom plate fully seats when screwed down, and it is directional (per marks on the base and plate). You may want to check this by fitting the bottom plate with the axles removed so that you can compare the openings. Be sure that all screws on the plate are fully tight and not stripped. Sometimes a quarter turn of a mounting screw makes a big difference. Good luck!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like an over generous amount of grease on that front axle. If this gets in the motor you will be looking at repairs. I would suggest a clean up.

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like an over generous amount of grease on that front axle. If this gets in the motor you will be looking at repairs. I would suggest a clean up.
Newqida also did a cheap battery powered version of the ICE 3 model called TCE, and from what I've seen on videos they used the same steam loco sound module as in their battery 2-6-2 tank loco !!!

The sound card on the newqida does suck, but I can pull 8 cars with one motor