LGB 8 wheel streetcars

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
A quick question. While I’m waiting for my two auction win streetcars to arrive, does anyone know or can recommend a working trolley pole for these trolleys? I could easily fit pantos and the 4 way switch would allow them to work, but I’m a bit apprehensive to alter these beautiful models.

Cheers

Martin

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Not an answer, just a comment about those LGB streetcars. I never understood why LGB chose not to make the trolley pole functional.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not an answer, just a comment about those LGB streetcars. I never understood why LGB chose not to make the trolley pole functional.
No, I can’t understand that either considering they fitted a four position slider switch where positions 3&4 did exactly the same thing…
Cheers
Martin

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Problem with a trolley pole in G scale is when you come to points and junctions....

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Problem with a trolley pole in G scale is when you come to points and junctions....
I could never fathom out how full sized ones worked…but…

apparently someone knows how to operate trolley poles in G scale…

Cheers

Martin

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Cheers

Martin
It seems to use a grooved pulley wheel on a trolley modified pole and a overhead 'frog' mechanism. The contact wire isn't the stiffer LGB, judging by the tension on it from the pole.

Bespoke engineering....

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
It seems to use a grooved pulley wheel on a trolley modified pole and a overhead 'frog' mechanism. The contact wire isn't the stiffer LGB, judging by the tension on it from the pole.

Bespoke engineering....
From memory of smaller scales using working overhead trolley poles, the overhead frog is positioned slightly to the outgoing curve of the point at a slight angle to it…it’s also slightly forward of the point frog I think! It works like this is OO and O gauge with no mechanical parts on the overhead frog.
it’s almost the devils work….
I’ve never actually modelled trams in lower scales, but I did look into it many years ago and the memory has well and truly faded on how it works.

Cheers
Martin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
It may look like witchcraft how trolley frogs work but the process to make and work out where it is is simple. You put up a temporary straight wire over the curve. You then run the car over the curve of the point. Where the trolley comes off the wire is where the frog needs to be.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
apparently someone knows how to operate trolley poles in G scale

That very video is featured on this web page (presumably giving away how the trolley pole was made to follow the wire) . . .

1696404872962.png

Regrettably, despite their website surviving, Light Rail Products ceased trading several years ago.

Cheers

David

borsig1963

Registered
26 Oct 2016
Italy
Best answers
Country flag
from a a friend of mine (Italy), unfortunatly olny a test layout, now no more existing...

I'm thinking too, operating trolley pole instead of LGB lyra panto, but a little bit soon, still working on rail

ciao, Paolo

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Cheers

Martin

Slightly off topic, but Mr Spicer made some excellent videos.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
from a a friend of mine (Italy), unfortunatly olny a test layout, now no more existing...

I'm thinking too, operating trolley pole instead of LGB lyra panto, but a little bit soon, still working on rail

ciao, Paolo
Really nice video Paolo, what a shame it no longer exists.
Cheers

Martin

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I never understood why LGB chose not to make the trolley pole functional.
Mostly because they don't make an OCS that is compatible with trolley pole operation. If they fitted a functional trolley pole, they would just end up with complaints that it didn't work with the LGB OCS!

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

ciao, Paolo
That looks brilliant,

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mostly because they don't make an OCS that is compatible with trolley pole operation. If they fitted a functional trolley pole, they would just end up with complaints that it didn't work withth the LGB OCS!
The tramway overhead produced by LGB was a product of its day, emerging last century where peoples needs in so called G scale were somewhat less sophisticated than they are today. In truth a proprietary easy fur drinen and drousen system would be extremely expensive to be suitable for both pan and trolley use, as it is in the full size world.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
The tramway overhead produced by LGB was a product of its day, emerging last century where peoples needs in so called G scale were somewhat less sophisticated than they are today. In truth a proprietary easy fur drinen and drousen system would be extremely expensive to be suitable for both pan and trolley use, as it is in the full size world.
…as if it weren’t expensive enough!

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
So…is there anyone who does make a working trolley pole?

Cheers

Martin

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
They’re here…..

Attachments

• IMG_7757.jpeg
    IMG_7757.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7758.jpeg
    IMG_7758.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7759.jpeg
    IMG_7759.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7760.jpeg
    IMG_7760.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7761.jpeg
    IMG_7761.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7762.jpeg
    IMG_7762.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7764.jpeg
    IMG_7764.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7763.jpeg
    IMG_7763.jpeg
    502.7 KB · Views: 0

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
despite their website surviving, Light Rail Products ceased trading several years ago
Yes, but Karl (owner) surfaced last year (?) and indicated he ha a few spare parts left. I bought 2 sets of the duckbill car ends from him. Let me know if you want his email address.
one for their two axle trams, which you may be able to find as a spare part.
Very doubtful, as a spare from the Parts dept. However, the trams do come up for sale as junk, as their driving mechanism is junk - the motors get hot and melt the end cap, and the gears break.