LGB 70580 starter set Wangerooge diesel - a review

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
The red version of this loco has no lead alloy weights in it which makes them lighter than the pre 2008 models, hence the slightly lower tractive effort.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The red version of this loco has no lead alloy weights in it which makes them lighter than the pre 2008 models, hence the slightly lower tractive effort.

Interesting. So the black version with no side windows on the cab came out first, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
It was either the black one or the ÖBB one Dan. I can't remember which

image.jpeg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've added some weight to my red one. Going outside soon to give it a trial run. Let you know the results later.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Well I tested the loco this afternoon with the added weight. Like night and day. No problems on my grades. I'm a happy camper again :rofl:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember rightly, it was one of these that Gaugemaster refused to sell to Mel (having taken his money on line, they sold it to someone else in the shop).

Are these the Gmeinder diesels? if so, there were two at Longmoor running on the only bit of 2'6" gauge track that Longmoor had. They kept them especially because of their hydraulic drive.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
This one I think - though this actual one is not from the set.DSC01112 (Small).JPG .

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
dig 090906005.JPG
David

Reactions: 1 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Oops. My finger slipped.
It was this or a V100. Narrow gauge won the contest. I will also be adding weight to mine.

image.png

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I would go for that any day mate. Got a decent motor in that one.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Said lok arrived today at my office and has been tested briefly.
It is heavier than the ÖBB version 2100 grams versus 2050 grams. Must be down to the sound speaker and extra board so I expect it to be a good hauler

image.jpeg

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Right from the start i liked the color of the loco which suits it very well. Once owned the black and red loco which is to strictly German/WW2. Didnt like the modern cab of the DB type. However i was in the process of selling all my LGB. Kept the railway for my livesteam locos. During last summer i felt the need for at least one trackpowered loco so bought the setat my local dealership.

Would like to convert to battery, add sound and remote uncouplers. However the bonnet and cab are helt by very little screws which allready have cracked the plastic during assembly at the factory.

8 May 2017
Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
I have no idea. As the loco was split from a set, there's no guidance on it and there's nothing which says where the stuff was made in the paperwork I've had.
Gents I have purchased a second hand Wangerooge loco and are in the process of fitting with radio control and rechargable batteries. Does any body want the electrics, circuit board etc and I believe there is a LGB /Massouth Chip attached to this. All carefully removed in a small cardboard box otherwise it will be disposed off.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
This is an old thread, Martin, so people may overlook your very generous offer. It may be useful to repeat it, say, in the General G Scale forum.