idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I recently bought an LGB 3019 Post Van on this forum, as the basis to build a 2-axle DR narrow gauge Gepackwagen, as used on the Rügen lines. This is the prototype I was thinking of, KDw 975-104:

049 SW Packwagen 975-104 KBw i Wittrower F_hre_140969.jpg

As a reminder, the LGB 3019 as bought looks like this:

3019.jpg

The length of the prototype was 6,7m and wheelbase 3,5m which matches the model almost exactly. It has one veranda and sliding doors each side, so it is a pretty good match except for the "minor" differences of the third window and curved end roof.

I removed all the electrical gubbins (wheel pickups, internal lights and 2 rear lantern lights) and saved those for another project. I removed the fancy roof supports and vacuum brakes, and added a coupling hook; I like to have both ends hooked on my rolling stock.

IMG_20190202_150029.jpg

Then I set to with various cosmetic changes. I removed the stickers carefully (for future reuse), the unwanted printing with T-cut and painted the windows frames black. I added a chimney (these vans had stoves) and Heberlein braking equipment from an accessory pack for an LGB 30090/35090 which I got from Glendale for £3. Finally I added a couple of roof stanchions from some scrap plastic rodding. End result below.

IMG_20190202_145901.jpg

Just needs a DR logo and some proper running numbers, but for now I’ll pretend the logos are hidden by the open sliding doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
That looks good, it’s amazing how a bit repainting changes the look of the van and makes it look more like a everyday working vehicle

I’m quite tempted to do something similar, if I find a suitable donor vehicle

Dan

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Look very good, Dave. What are Heberlien brakes, please?

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
A cable/rope connects loco & wagons over rollers which (if the cable is released) lower a friction roller until it touches the axle.
In this way a chain is tensioned which applies the brake. Heberlein brake - Wikipedia
Re-tensioning the cable will release all brakes. Fun fact is that a Heberlein-brake can only be tested in motion when the axles turn.

For the 2018 NG Festival @ the POLLO we equipped the MBB No.20 with Heberlein-Rollers from the chimney to the tender.
I tell you we were more than happy NOT to use this stone-age type of brake...

1549206651795.png

Andreas

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That looks good, it’s amazing how a bit repainting changes the look of the van and makes it look more like a everyday working vehicle

I’m quite tempted to do something similar, if I find a suitable donor vehicle

Dan
Thanks Dan. Yes the post van as supplied does look rather toy-like.
65 1057 65 1057 thanks for explaining Heberlein brakes and your real world experience!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A cable/rope connects loco & wagons over rollers which (if the cable is released) lower a friction roller until it touches the axle.
In this way a chain is tensioned which applies the brake. Heberlein brake - Wikipedia
Re-tensioning the cable will release all brakes. Fun fact is that a Heberlein-brake can only be tested in motion when the axles turn.

For the 2018 NG Festival @ the POLLO we equipped the MBB No.20 with Heberlein-Rollers from the chimney to the tender.

View attachment 248120

Andreas

Thank you, Andreas. It sounds as if it could be exciting!
Gordon

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 248120

Andreas
They were probably better than what was present before I.E possibly nothing except for the Loco Reverser.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. Very inspiring. Takes all the toylike quality away. We will all be competing for second hand post wagons.
Feld Grossbahn sell a set of 5 DR transfers which I have used to back date stock.

Simon

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Dave

Not an easy web site to navigate but hopefully this will take you straight to the page.

These aren’t cheap either.

Beschriftungen - Spur 2 - Produkte

Hope it is of some use.

Best wishes

Simon
Thanks Simon. I found it in the end and have ordered a few.
They are way cheaper than troeger and postage to UK only 4 €.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Dave

Good, glad they are of use.

They sell some great stuff. I am going to buy one of their kits to convert a Newquida coach when I have the money.

Best wishes

Simon

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Since reading this post I have been hunting down a 3019 Van. After many attempts I got one without being sniped on eBay.
i have gone a little further, blocking up the extra window and respraying the Van. I also indulged in some Tröeger transfers. I have not fitted Hebertein brakes. I had a surplus chimney from the Pola Hammerstein station kit so fitted that. Thanks very much for the inspiration.B3AD224E-4FFA-4229-B9E3-6FCF4E83CD56.jpegBC537E2D-C129-4710-ABE2-5AE4D56814F3.jpeg

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done Simon, I like the weathering. I see from another post you like the Rugen railway. I will get there one day, last year I had to abort the trip due to DB engineering works, but I did get to go to the Harz instead which was more than compensation!

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
I had a very indulgent Railway holiday in Germany in September. I drove though. Stayed in Dresden for a week then went up to Rugen for 3 days, staying in Putbus. As well as trips on the Railway I was able to explore Bergen Rugen and Wittower Fahre. I want to go on the ferry and explore the remains of the line from Fahrhof. I definitely want to go back.
I have also got 2 books, one on the stations, the other on the stock. They are brilliant but we’re very hard to find. I got one from Spain.
My Rhb stock is packed away at the moment with an almost complete DR takeover.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I have those books as well, I reviewed them on this forum somewhere. As you say brilliant and very comprehensive, although they do test your German. They are not too hard to find but not cheap!
If you're thinking of offloading any of your RhB stuff let me know :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nicely done Dave!

I've a few of these vans in my parcel train, but I'm keeping mine in LGB livery....

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I have come to altering LGB quite recently. I was always worried about diminishing potential value. Now I just think I want my stock to look as I want it to. I have started weathering and altering my LGB. It was a big decision on expensive items like my VIK, but I think it looks better with the plastic toned down. Each to his own. That is the spirit of G scale.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I have come to altering LGB quite recently. I was always worried about diminishing potential value. Now I just think I want my stock to look as I want it to. I have started weathering and altering my LGB. It was a big decision on expensive items like my VIK, but I think it looks better with the plastic toned down. Each to his own. That is the spirit of G scale.
Good choice, with diminishing interest in Model Railways generally and an older population in general being interested. Prices of second hand stock are diminishing as well mostly. When we all fall off the log much of what we saved hard to buy will be of extremely limited value. I say enjoy your trains, do not worry about resale value if you are certain that what you have fits a theme of what you want. Weather modify do it all.

If you have not decided about a theme because you do not care or have just bought ‘what you like’ well that is fine as well.