Lenz LE-230 HELP PLEASE???

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
HI folks im trying to repair a bachmann loco with after market dcc and sound installed by someone.
the chuff rate seems to be changeable with the functions keys only????
i have never seen this before in a loco ,,
any advice please.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is this perhaps the 'shunting' (half-speed) function?

It could also be a way of 'tuning' the chuff rate? Once happy, those function keys could then possibly be programmed to do something else.

PhilP.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
Is this perhaps the 'shunting' (half-speed) function?

It could also be a way of 'tuning' the chuff rate? Once happy, those function keys could then possibly be programmed to do something else.

PhilP.
Hi me again lol

So when the loco starts off, regardless of motor speed, the chuff does not change at all,,
This is new to me, never seen this before

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the manual for the decoder, it is not a sound decoder, so 'something else' is providing the sound..

Thus could be a second decoder, or possibly an original sound card supplied with the loco?

More investigation is required..

PhilP.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the manual for the decoder, it is not a sound decoder, so 'something else' is providing the sound..

Thus could be a second decoder, or possibly an original sound card supplied with the loco?

More investigation is required..

PhilP.
Do these look familiar to you??

Attachments

• IMG_20221215_201913.jpg
    IMG_20221215_201913.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20221215_201907.jpg
    IMG_20221215_201907.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I reckon the little board is a regulated supply, and am guessing it feeds the small connector on the decoder..?
No! More research, it is a Lenz sound module.

[So this is wrong as well]
Sound is from the original large board within the loco, I would guess, you probably don't get any 'standing sounds', and only get sound when the loco is running?

Can you trace where the speaker is connected, and provide a clearer picture of the big board in the loco?

PhilP

Last edited:

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, better pictures please.
hi Greg thankyou for your reply ,i spent a while doing research on the web
the sound board is a Lenz le-230 ,i cant find an English manual with pinouts .the , DCC , decoder is a Lenz gold decoder, my issue is
the chuff rate does not change with acceleration and seems to be controlled by function buttons ,,this is a new one on me as i have never seen a sound board that does not accelerate and decelerate in sync with the motor current?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think manual will be key to this issue, surely the sound should be controlled by motor voltage? Thus ther could be a couple of wires. Missing or not connected?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Its a Lenz Gold Maxi and a Dietz SUSI Sound module. The chuff on the sound module can be driven just via the SUSI interface, or via a wheel sensor attached to the sound module. CV 935 bit zero controls if the chuff is only controlled via the wheel sensor.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Dumb question, you are indeed running from DCC right?

Greg
good morning Greg yes indeed i use a Prodigy Dcc controller and for what ever reason when you apply power the chuff rate sound starts up with a slow pace even if the loco wheels have not started turning and the f7 function seems to cause the chuff sound rate too increase slightly so im lost here also i can not get the firebox or ash pann to light up

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Its a Lenz Gold Maxi and a Dietz SUSI Sound module. The chuff on the sound module can be driven just via the SUSI interface, or via a wheel sensor attached to the sound module. CV 935 bit zero controls if the chuff is only controlled via the wheel sensor.
hi cliff the previous owner who installed the electronics has the suzi module being fed from the motor two pin connection which comes from the two pin tender output ,i disconnected the this connector to see the result and no sound is heard

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
good morning Greg yes indeed i use a Prodigy Dcc controller and for what ever reason when you apply power the chuff rate sound starts up with a slow pace even if the loco wheels have not started turning and the f7 function seems to cause the chuff sound rate too increase slightly so im lost here also i can not get the firebox or ash pann to light up
Greg i have done a number of sound conversions but i have never worked with dcc and sound on large scale ,so i think i have to accept defeat with this one ,i cant figure it out at all

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
hi cliff the previous owner who installed the electronics has the suzi module being fed from the motor two pin connection which comes from the two pin tender output ,i disconnected the this connector to see the result and no sound is heard

Very odd. Your picture of the Lenz Gold Maxi shows that something is plugged into the SUSI interface. It is the small connector at the bottom right of the decoder as per your picture. Its got four wires blue, red, grey, black. Where do they go to if not to the SUSI sound module? Power and data come over that interface so there is no need for any external power for the SUSI module. Just a thought is the speaker in the tender and perhaps the two wires you disconnected are the connection to it?

F7 is not by default set up to anything on the Lenz Gold Maxi (F3 is shunting speed and F4 is momentum off by default). F7 might be something configured in the SUSI module. Do you get individual sounds such as bell, whistle, sound on/off, fader etc on any of the functions?

Sorry I can't help much. Could you contact the previous owner?

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very odd. Your picture of the Lenz Gold Maxi shows that something is plugged into the SUSI interface. It is the small connector at the bottom right of the decoder as per your picture. Its got four wires blue, red, grey, black. Where do they go to if not to the SUSI sound module? Power and data come over that interface so there is no need for any external power for the SUSI module. Just a thought is the speaker in the tender and perhaps the two wires you disconnected are the connection to it?

F7 is not by default set up to anything on the Lenz Gold Maxi (F3 is shunting speed and F4 is momentum off by default). F7 might be something configured in the SUSI module. Do you get individual sounds such as bell, whistle, sound on/off, fader etc on any of the functions?

Sorry I can't help much. Could you contact the previous owner?
Hi. Yes in deed fucction f3, f2, f4 activate coupler, horn and, whistle, sound only come on with f10, and F1 functions pressed, there are 3 pads on the suzi pcb which are required apperintly to trigger the chuff

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi. Yes in deed fucction f3, f2, f4 activate coupler, horn and, whistle, sound only come on with f10, and F1 functions pressed, there are 3 pads on the suzi pcb which are required apperintly to trigger the chuff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217-170126.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217-170126.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 0

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

Yes, you can optionally use a wheel sensor with the Dietz SUSI module. Are the three pads you mention connected to anything?

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you can optionally use a wheel sensor with the Dietz SUSI module. Are the three pads you mention connected to anything?
hi yes indde they are connected to the two pin connector going to the tender