Ken West Barnum coach kit

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've had the opportunity to build a Ken West Barnum Open Third coach kit. So thought I'd post a short progress log in case it's hekpful to anyone else thinking of buying or about to build one.

It's good practice for me too as I have a rather more detailed Hartford Products J&S coach to tackle at some point, so need all the practice i can get :)

The kit came with optional bogies and Slaters wheels. The kit is well produced with no errors, nice clean cuts and everything already pinched out and bagged by category.

I used Titebond Original glue for the assembly. Some was squirted into a littlw glass ramekin and applied to the pieces with a small brush.

The instructuons are basic but sufficient to understand what to do. They are ordered and take you through the various sections with a diagram to show the pieces to be used for each section. It would be nice to have some assembly photos but what there is, explains what to do adequately.

I dry-fitted the parts for each section before reassembling with glue. The fit tolerances are very close and it's worth checking the assembly process once first. A couple of times i needed to very lightly sand a few tabs on the chassis. Parts seemed slightly easier to assemble if the cut faces (the sides with the laser scorching) were put together, than the back faces.

The chassis:

20210112_201259.jpg

The interior
20210112_201217.jpg

It's worth mentioning that the furniture has a 'detail' and a 'plain' side. Care should be taken to orient the pieces so the detailed side faces towards the middle, so that it can be seen.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've had the opportunity to build a Ken West Barnum Open Third coach kit. So thought I'd post a short progress log in case it's hekpful to anyone else thinking of buying or about to build one.

It's good practice for me too as I have a rather more detailed Hartford Products J&S coach to tackle at some point, so need all the practice i can get :)

The kit came with optional bogies and Slaters wheels. The kit is well produced with no errors, nice clean cuts and everything already pinched out and bagged by category.

I used Titebond Original glue for the assembly. Some was squirted into a littlw glass ramekin and applied to the pieces with a small brush.

The instructuons are basic but sufficient to understand what to do. They are ordered and take you through the various sections with a diagram to show the pieces to be used for each section. It would be nice to have some assembly photos but what there is, explains what to do adequately.

I dry-fitted the parts for each section before reassembling with glue. The fit tolerances are very close and it's worth checking the assembly process once first. A couple of times i needed to very lightly sand a few tabs on the chassis. Parts seemed slightly easier to assemble if the cut faces (the sides with the laser scorching) were put together, than the back faces.

The chassis:

View attachment 278836

The interior
View attachment 278837

It's worth mentioning that the furniture has a 'detail' and a 'plain' side. Care should be taken to orient the pieces so the detailed side faces towards the middle, so that it can be seen.
Interesting build, what gauge and scale is it please? If he has a webb site a link may answer all I need to know.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here you go!

There's a January sale on at the moment if anything tickles your fancy
Ken West Kits
Thanks for that, for Gauge 1 the kits appear good value. I accept that these are just bodies but for anyone with the capability to scratch all the other bits they represent a super resource. Sadly the coach you are building so far as I can see does not appear on the webb site. A GCR so called Barnum.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that, for Gauge 1 the kits appear good value. I accept that these are just bodies but for anyone with the capability to scratch all the other bits they represent a super resource. Sadly the coach you are building so far as I can see does not appear on the webb site. A GCR so called Barnum.
Hmm, it's a relatively new product so they may not have updated the site with it yet i guess. There is an open and brake third.

I wonder if one reason they opted for the GCR Barnum was they didn't have the more complicated tumblehome to design and manufacturer :)

Here's the finished product which just requires finishing with paint and sides for the bogies. A nice little bonus was that the update pack included a slightly modified roof and chassis, so i have the top and bottom of a second coach which may work with the 3d printed stuff ive been working on.

For info, as I assume its not on the website, their January sale price for rhe coach was listed at £100 without the optional bogies

20210114_094351.jpg20210114_094320.jpg20210114_094248.jpg20210114_094334.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I've had to do a bit of google-fu about the Barnum coaches and that has certainly proved enlightening - thanks for improving my education :clap::clap:

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Since I was going to need to buy some bogie side panels, I had a go at printing out some quick ones to see how the coach looked on its wheels.

I'm not sure which of the two option looks best (Obviously the metal bogie shell would need cutting back a little in both cases), or whether I should stop messing about and buy some castings from Walsall...
20210116_004714.jpg20210116_004750.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Since I was going to need to buy some bogie side panels, I had a go at printing out some quick ones to see how the coach looked on its wheels.

I'm not sure which of the two option looks best (Obviously the metal bogie shell would need cutting back a little in both cases), or whether I should stop messing about and buy some castings from Walsall...
View attachment 279015View attachment 279016
Not sure what you are worried about, just looked at the pics on line of Barnums again and those bogies to my eye capture the look nicely. A bit of subtle under frame weathering on them (we all know what causes that, brake dust, ballast crud and stuff etc) and you will be done.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If we're going into hyper critical mode, maybe the springs are a little too proud - but I would have thought that's fairly easy to change :)