Is there a Ballenberg running gear mod?

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been watching a few videos of the LGB Ballenberg steam locomotive and notice that some of the running gear only moves when used on “rack track” and not when it’s running on standard track. Is there any kind if mod that will allow all the running gear to move all of the time using only standard track?

Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been watching a few videos of the LGB Ballenberg steam locomotive and notice that some of the running gear only moves when used on “rack track” and not when it’s running on standard track. Is there any kind if mod that will allow all the running gear to move all of the time using only standard track?

Thanks
It is not supposed to fully run, the gear that is not working is linked to the rack and thus only works on the rack section. This is in accordance with the real thing.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
There's no standard modification that I know of. I think you would have to break into the gearbox and link the two, maybe with some kind of pulley arrangement around the axles. As JonD says it would not be prototypical but I can see the attraction. If it was me I would fork out for a few pieces of rack and place it in the area you most often view the track from. It's very easy to fit.

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
…it would not be prototypical but I can see the attraction. If it was me I would fork out for a few pieces of rack and place it in the area you most often view the track from. It's very easy to fit.

The rack-track idea is probably the way to go.

I did ask LGB a few years ago if they would modify the design so that non-rack track owners could see the running gear moving, but it looks like they didn’t like the idea.

I also asked if they’d make a version painted in factory grey primer :)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, this is the only reasonable way to go with these locos. The rack steam cylinders and drive rods are purely cosmetic on this, and other LGB locos based on this design, the DFB Hg 3/3 and the new this year BDB Hg3/3 . Propulsion on steep rack segments is actually accomplished by a cog on one of the drive axles . As I'm sure you have observed if you have one, a separate cog rotated by the rack operates the cosmetic "rack drive" when running on the rack.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

I did ask LGB a few years ago if they would modify the design so that non-rack track owners could see the running gear moving, but it looks like they didn’t like the idea.

I also asked if they’d make a version painted in factory grey primer :)
The problem with making the rack gear operate is that it would need another motor to operate that section separately, then bods would be complaining without DCC control of the separate motor that the ‘rack gear runs when it should not be running off rack’. Though it has to be said that I have seen similar rack locomotives when stationary the rack gear ‘feather round’ some. This will I assume some steam passing through to the rack cylinders making them work just very slightly.