Irish engine bashed from Big Hauler

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon.......I confirmed that they were painted maroon......LMS maroon as the book shows. Now to go find LMS colors at my local Virginia Beach hobby shop!! ;) Perhaps Norfolk and Western Maroon will be a close match.......

Rik.....yes, I do think she will look pretty "snappy" in her proper livery! Funny thing about this project, for the first time I am building a model in large scale and the idea of scratch building more and more of the parts (bits :)) has given me a lot of pleasure. Most of the tasks have been simple problem solving projects and knowing I"m building a model that will be viewed at 8 feet away has made the decision a simple one.
I figure the dollars I've saved building her will offset the dollars spent to RC/Battery her.......It's certainly a trade off I can live with.

Next task is to find suitable couplers and to lay in a supply of parts from GRS so I can begin building a string of cattle wagons and boxes for her to pull (oh, not to forget a brake van!)

thanks again for following along as comments are a large part of maintaining my enthusiasm........tom

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Next task is to find suitable couplers and to lay in a supply of parts from GRS so I can begin building a string of cattle wagons and boxes for her to pull (oh, not to forget a brake van!)
........tom
Cattle wagons are a good idea for an Irish railway. Some of those Playmobil ones look fairly easy to bash - not that I've tried it (yet).

Rik

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cattle wagons are a good idea for an Irish railway. Some of those Playmobil ones look fairly easy to bash - not that I've tried it (yet).

Rik
I have a couple for sale on the Forum just now having started to bash them for Irish use. Sady I think that postage to USA would be too much to make them viable.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Finally had a go at the raised sand boxes and the tool chests. The sand boxes were wood blocks overlaid with brass sheet as before. The tool boxes were the original "steam chests" from the Big Hauler. (had to use something as a kit-bashed part!) and they fit nicely in the space.
IMG_1270.JPG

Fitted a actuating arm and linkage for the sanders.

IMG_1271.JPG

Now it's off to the hobby shop for some suitable LMS paints......

I have not been able to locate anyone stateside who is carrying/selling the Playmobil cattle wagons. Can either of you post a photo??.....thanks.....tom

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Finally had a go at the raised sand boxes and the tool chests. The sand boxes were wood blocks overlaid with brass sheet as before. The tool boxes were the original "steam chests" from the Big Hauler. (had to use something as a kit-bashed part!) and they fit nicely in the space.
View attachment 241928

Fitted a actuating arm and linkage for the sanders.

View attachment 241929

Now it's off to the hobby shop for some suitable LMS paints......

I have not been able to locate anyone stateside who is carrying/selling the Playmobil cattle wagons. Can either of you post a photo??.....thanks.....tom
Have a look at my for sale thread. Just posted a couple of days ago.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Started the painting following LMS guidelines. The boiler and cab in maroon. Next will be the masking necessary for the black edging around the tanks and cab. The footplate and smokebox/stack in black. If all goes well, I'll try lining in yellow :confused: using waterslide decals.
After that, it's RC/battery decision......and sound.

IMG_1287.JPGIMG_1288.JPGIMG_1289.JPG

Reactions: 8 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That is looking handsome :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017