Irish engine bashed from Big Hauler

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik.......your blog has been inspirational for me......I'm a big "operator" so I'm building up railway stock so I can offer visitors a chance to run a train or two with a bit of "purpose" to it. I'll be going RC/Battery power.
Regarding plasticard (styrene) I've found a product that is used in the printing industry here in the states that appears to be a something like a dense styrene "foam" sheet. It's used to produce printed signs here for outdoor use and is stiff and firm but somewhat flexible. I did some tests welding conventional styrene sheets to it using MEK and it holds as well as styrene. I've been using it for this build. (it's even easier to cut than sheet styrene).
I'll be on the lookout for a proper steam domb. My Lady Anne's domb fits well and I may use it produce a mold and do some resin casting. (or order something from GRS If need be.)
Sounds like a really interesting project. Glad to hear my blog has been useful. Happy to help if you want to know anything but it looks like you know what you're doing, Tom.

All the best with the build.

Rik

Last edited:

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
An update on my build. I cut away most of the front end but left enough for the cylinder saddle to fit in place. The cut I made placed the center of the piston rod even with the center of the drivers, which seem to be a good position relative to the photo.
The next issue will be finding a way to shorten the main drive rod to fit the new, shortened spacing. I'm thinking about removing a section at the end of the "big end" and reattaching it using ACC or epoxy. There should be little "strain" on the parts but I'll put in a reinforcing pin along with the adhesive.
In case it helps, I shortened the drive rod at the 'little' end and used a small screw to attached to the crosshead.
Long&ShortDriveRods.jpg

shortDriveRods.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great project,interesting build as IMO Irish stock not well represented in modeling circles,keeping an eye on this one,keep posting and pics,,lots of pics:cool::cool::cool::cool:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Great project,interesting build as IMO Irish stock not well represented in modeling circles,keeping an eye on this one,keep posting and pics,,lots of pics:cool::cool::cool::cool:
I couldn't agree more, especially when you look at those delicious 4-8-0 Lough Swilly tender locos. If only I could justify running one of those on the PLR!

Rik

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg.......I think will work perfectly for me! Appreciate you jumping in with recommendations. I've been modeling in 1/4" scale narrow gauge for many years now and moving up to 16mm (or 15mm) scale is presenting a whole bunch of new issues to tackle. Let's of fun working with tiny bits you can actually "see". :)

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'd love to find an appropriate chassis for the Swilly 4-8-4 tanks!........now there is truely a "beast" to love.......tom

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Great start. Looking forward to seeing your build. I love bashing the big huskers.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Paradise.......thanks for the kind comments......yes, I did explore Caledonia as a choice......she is beautiful in her livery above......where did you find the artwork?

She may be the perfect second bash to try. I picked up the mechanism for my Irish build at a show for $10. ("busted and still running"!!)

Hi, I just found the Caledonia artwork on Google somewhere using a search for 'IoM Caledonia' or something like that.
I have a similar issue with shortening the rods on an anniversary chassis for a 2-6-2 prairie conversion. Mine are metal though. I think on the plastic rod you could cut off the big end then file out a slightly tapered pocket in the recessed part so the shortened tapered rod fits snugly in there. That will give you a dovetail join and a greater gluing surface than just a simple butt join.
Are you going to incline the piston? Remember the center of the piston should be inline with the axle on the driven wheel.
It will be good so see the progress.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the response of the artwork.......beautiful work itself, but also spurs my interest for a second conversion once this one is done.
Regarding the inclined pistons.....while most of the Irish engines I've spotted in my books are inclined, this particular engine happily appears to be straight, in line with the driver axles......tom

I did some experimentation with the styrene/foam board in mentioned......the good news is it bends easily when warmed allowing me to give the two water tanks their distinctive rounded front. I'll try riveting up a thin styrene wrapper and see how it looks this evening......

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Couple of update photos on my B&L Rwy. #6 build.
I fabricated the two side tanks by bending styrene sheet and adding some internal support. Nothing too critical here.
IMG_1206.JPG

I cut some thin brass sheet for the tank wrapper. I used an old fabric hem tool to emboss rivets along the outside edges and vertically matching what I could see in the photos. (sure I could have drilled 1,000 holes and inserted individual rivets eh!);). I used contact cement to attach the brass to the tank sides.
fullsizeoutput_40.jpeg

Checking again on the fit of the footplate to the cylinders and boiler saddle I felt the boiler sat a bit too high so I sanded the saddle to fit and removed a bit of the original chassis to achieve a level fit. This was made easy with a new Japanese flexible saw that made quick work of it.The blade on this saw is only about 7" long.IMG_1192.JPG

I used the saw to remove part of the steam chest. This lowered the footplate (now with a styrene reinforcing edge) flat onto the cylinders. This really helped lowering the boiler down to where it looked "correct" relative to the photos.IMG_1194.JPGIMG_1206.JPGfullsizeoutput_40.jpegIMG_1192.JPGIMG_1194.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Duh! sorry on the duplicate pics......( insert BANG HEAD HERE! sign:mad:)

I'll try again later......(will take a short nappie!). tom

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Magnificent start made, Tom. Beautiful curve on those tank front corners and the use of the brass shim as an overlay is clever, as is your use of the hemming tool. As you say, individually embossing each rivet is a nightmare. Some neat ideas - will certainly be borrowing a few.

Rik
PS - I've heard about those Japanese saws. A wargaming mate of mine swears by his (I just swear AT my Xacto razor saw!).

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
... I've heard about those Japanese saws. A wargaming mate of mine swears by his (I just swear AT my Xacto razor saw!).
I can highly recommend the Japanese flush-cutting saws. Very handy for woodwork and ... cough ... other things.
In fact, I like Japanese saws in general.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've been doing a lot of "fitting and checking" sub assemblies as I've built them (tanks etc.) and began cleaning up the front end.
IMG_1197.JPGA real "blank slate"! This is where the modified cylinder and boiler saddle will sit.
IMG_1196.JPG

The footplate (running boards) is next. There is some checking to make sure I've got enough room for drivers and connecting rods to pass without any interference. Also I've got to figure a way to attach the new buffer beam.

IMG_1198.JPG

Looks good but the photo is revealing an uneven cut I made to the original frame......got to clean that up as it interfere with the boiler sitting level later.

IMG_1211.JPG

Here is the support that will hold the new buffer beam. Notice I decided to add a 1/4" wood spacer just behind the saddle. In checking the photos I have of B&L Rwy #6 it looked too close to the lead driver in the original position.

IMG_1212.JPG

The buffer block will be wood and these to wood supports should give me plenty of surface area to attach to. I'll make the buffer as another sub assembly and then add it to the front end.

Next up will be the cab.......tom

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can highly recommend the Japanese flush-cutting saws. Very handy for woodwork and ... cough ... other things.
In fact, I like Japanese saws in general.
I have a couple of Japaneese Bonsai Gardening Tools, cost buckets of dosh but well worth it in the long run.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Made a start on the cab. Again, without an actual plan to work from, I've been estimating using the size of the driver in the photo....that and keeping the whole outline in perspective given the difference in driver size and spacing.

fullsizeoutput_47.jpeg

I pulled out some hardwood that I had purchased in one of those "bag lots" at a local craft store. Lot's of odd sized cut offs at quite good prices.

I laid out the windows for the rear cab wall. You can see that I divided the wood into two pieces in order to make cutting out the windows and easier process. These pieces will be re-inforced on the inside and will also have the brass sheeting glued to them.

fullsizeoutput_49.jpeg

The cab sides were laid out and glued to card stock. I think I'll be ok with the card stock after a couple of coats of sealer and paint.

fullsizeoutput_4b.jpeg
As you can see, I need a better (cleaner and more precise way of cutting out very thin brass sheet stock......any ideas appreciated here! Very tiny scissors?.......probably a laser cutter would do the job.....or maybe learn how to etch brass?

fullsizeoutput_4c.jpeg

BTW......I used a large frying pan from the kitchen stock to draw the outline of the cab roof! :)

Appreciate any comments you may have on improving my processes........tom

Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a ready-made dome AND a brass chimney that might well serve your purpose - if you want them, please let me know.

tac

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
That would be super! Let me know what you need in a PM.......thanks in advance tac..........tom

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I need your address - please PM me. Unless you can wait until I am back over in Oregon sometime in September. It's no big deal.

tac
OVGRS
Port Orford Coast RR - Eastern Sub

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Wow love the brass with the sewing tool for making robots great idea.