Irish engine bashed from Big Hauler

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'm new here but have been collecting info on my first G scale loco project. I'm beginning a bash of a B-mann 4-6-0 into an 0-6-0 Irish engine along the lines of Ballymeana and Larne #6.

I've been taking photos along the way and will begin to post them along with some of the construction notes I've been keeping.

First off I completely disassembled the "Big Hauler" and cut off almost everything trying to reduce it to a workable "motor block". Here's what she looks like in all her "nakedness"........IMG_1163.jpgIMG_1163.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a photo of the engine I am using as inspiration. Obviously the wheel base of the big hauler is determining the starting point. I've been able to get some basic dimensions from the books I have and I've also measured up my Roundhouse Lady Anne for basic body measurements, but from there on I've got to do some creative measuring from photos and estimate the rest.IMG_1183.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
After breaking down the engine to the motor block I cut a card stock pattern for the footplate allowing for the driving wheels to fit as well as there connecting rods. I used styrene sheet approx. 80mm thick.IMG_1170.JPG

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Next, I took a look at the cylinders from the BH and figured I could cut them down but slicing off the original slide valve steam chests leaving the cylinders in place. This was pretty easy to do and it left me with two "boxes" that I could use as "sander chests" that sit atop the running boards on the prototype #6. So far so good.IMG_1164.JPGIMG_1165.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 0

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Next, I took a look at the cylinders from the BH and figured I could cut them down but slicing off the original slide valve steam chests leaving the cylinders in place. This was pretty easy to do and it left me with two "boxes" that I could use as "sander chests" that sit atop the running boards on the prototype #6. So far so good.View attachment 239558View attachment 239559

Good to see the start of your build!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a nice locomotive. Similar looking to IoM Caledonia although it was built by Dübs & Co., Glasgow.
Good to see another project from the Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis.

1920px-MNR_Caledonia_No_4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Here is a photo of the engine I am using as inspiration. Obviously the wheel base of the big hauler is determining the starting point. I've been able to get some basic dimensions from the books I have and I've also measured up my Roundhouse Lady Anne for basic body measurements, but from there on I've got to do some creative measuring from photos and estimate the rest.View attachment 239556
Have to say when I was into Irish that little baby never appeared on my Radar,mgreat little project.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Good to see the start of your build!
Thanks to you Mick for pushing me a bit to "get on with it"......I've been gathering research material (Irish NG books) and finally came up with a couple of good choices. I think modifying the main drive rod to fit the second set of drivers will be the big challenge.......tom

Reactions: 1 user

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like a nice locomotive. Similar looking to IoM Caledonia although it was built by Dübs & Co., Glasgow.
Good to see another project from the Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis.

1920px-MNR_Caledonia_No_4.jpg
Paradise.......thanks for the kind comments......yes, I did explore Caledonia as a choice......she is beautiful in her livery above......where did you find the artwork?

She may be the perfect second bash to try. I picked up the mechanism for my Irish build at a show for $10. ("busted and still running"!!)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Never tire of the Irish Narrow Gauge - if you could find all of the tales and associated blarney, you could fill a compendium of books :clap::clap::clap:

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
An update on my build. I cut away most of the front end but left enough for the cylinder saddle to fit in place. The cut I made placed the center of the piston rod even with the center of the drivers, which seem to be a good position relative to the photo.

The next issue will be finding a way to shorten the main drive rod to fit the new, shortened spacing. I'm thinking about removing a section at the end of the "big end" and reattaching it using ACC or epoxy. There should be little "strain" on the parts but I'll put in a reinforcing pin along with the adhesive.

IMG_1169.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
The boiler is a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe. It looks like it will work well. I've been comparing all my estimated measurements with those on my Lady Anne and the boiler size if very close. She stands a little too high, but I've sanded down the saddle to allow the boiler to sit just above the motor block and eliminate the "air" between boiler and chassis.
IMG_1171.JPG

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Can someone help me with loading more than one photo in a reply and being able to add wording above or below the photo?
I'd rather not keep bombarding you with too many "replies" vs 1 reply with several photos imbedded.
thanks.......tom

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Probably depends on what you're using - laptop, ipad or whatever. For Windows devices it's usually pretty easy, once you've uploaded one photo to 'full size', bring your cursor down to the bottom of the right hand edge of the photo and hit the carriage return a couple of times and you'll see the cursor below the first picture.

Type away and upload another piccy to your heart's content :clap::clap: (sorry just realised that's an English phrase and doesn't read very well - just means 'until you're happy')

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Probably depends on what you're using - laptop, ipad or whatever. For Windows devices it's usually pretty easy, once you've uploaded one photo to 'full size', bring your cursor down to the bottom of the right hand edge of the photo and hit the carriage return a couple of times and you'll see the cursor below the first picture.

Type away and upload another piccy to your heart's content :clap::clap: (sorry just realised that's an English phrase and doesn't read very well - just means 'until you're happy')
Thanks......sounds pretty straightforward......."I'll give it a go!" tom

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Really interesting build so far. I haven't got any Irish locos on my line, yet. Something I must rectify particularly as my son in law is Irish.... I will follow progress closely with half an eye on my Plasticard store...... ;)

Rik

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Rik.......your blog has been inspirational for me......I'm a big "operator" so I'm building up railway stock so I can offer visitors a chance to run a train or two with a bit of "purpose" to it. I'll be going RC/Battery power.
Regarding plasticard (styrene) I've found a product that is used in the printing industry here in the states that appears to be a something like a dense styrene "foam" sheet. It's used to produce printed signs here for outdoor use and is stiff and firm but somewhat flexible. I did some tests welding conventional styrene sheets to it using MEK and it holds as well as styrene. I've been using it for this build. (it's even easier to cut than sheet styrene).
I'll be on the lookout for a proper steam domb. My Lady Anne's domb fits well and I may use it produce a mold and do some resin casting. (or order something from GRS If need be.)