Irish engine bashed from Big Hauler

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Some progress today.....a lot of small cutting and shaping of the components to get the best fit. First off, Greg reminded me to make sure the center of the cylinders were in line with the driver Axel centers.....good catch! I had to make a couple of cuts dropping the saddle down about an 1/8th" to get it in line.....easy work, just takes a bit of time.
IMG_1223.JPG
Next up was fitting a bit of foamed styrene under the boiler to fill the open space and raise the boiler just a bit to set it level. I place the tank and the cab front in place to show how it's coming together.......All the subcomponents will be built first and then attached with glue if permanent and with screws if necessary to disassemble later. (for battery and sound components)
IMG_1226.JPGIMG_1224.JPG

Here's a couple of pics showing the rear of the cab wall and how I cut out a section of the front cab wall to allow the boiler to pass thorough allowing a much stronger joint than just a plain "butt" joint.fullsizeoutput_53.jpegIMG_1223.JPGIMG_1226.JPGIMG_1224.JPGfullsizeoutput_53.jpegfullsizeoutput_55.jpegIMG_1221.JPGfullsizeoutput_56.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
I was able to assemble the tanks and cab and mounted them to the footplate. Still a lot to do on the engine before moving on to the plumbing.
I placed her next to my Roundhouse Lady Anne and she just a bit longer but very close on width and height.
IMG_1227.JPGIMG_1228.JPGIMG_1229.JPGIMG_1230.JPGIMG_1227.JPGIMG_1228.JPGIMG_1229.JPGIMG_1230.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great looking progress, Tom. Really interested in seeing how your wood/brass and plastic/brass laminate techniques work out. I've tried using a thin laminate of plastic on plastic, but your technique seems more robust.

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rather nice :):)

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Looking great.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can't help but notice that you don't need a dome.

I'd be grateful if you could pass on the dome that I've sent you to another person in the same boat as you.

tac

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really good, I have been following with interest.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
tac, sorry for the confusion. The dumb from my Lady Anne is a "stand in" until your dumb arrives.....then it's back to it's rightful place!
Here's a size comparison of the two locos........and thanks for the comments guys, it really helps keeping my going........tomIMG_1231.JPG

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding my "laminations".......I'm using Weldwood Contact Cement, letting it completely dry on both parts before joining them (and some clamping). The brass to wood combinations seem "bombproof", but the styrene/brass is a bit riskier given the solvent in the cement. Time will tell.
This being my first attempt at scratch building in 15mil I'm not to worried long term as the build itself has been great fun!:)

The bigger issue is finding a supplier Stateside or in GB who stocks white metal or brass details. Things like check valves, pipe fittings, cab windows (spectacles??) etc. Any recommendations?

tom

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
"Dumb is as dumb does!".........tom

It's a friggin "steam dome"! how I ever got to "domb" or the even sillier steam "dumb" scares me a bit!:confused:o_O

Last edited:

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Worked on the front end.......wrapped a smoke box around the pvc pipe and drilled for rivets. I used Atlas flex track nails which had a nice round head. (still need to fabricate a smokebox door). Boiler bands are Evergreen styrene strips. I cut some PVC pipe to form the wheel covers for the first set of drivers. Easier than I thought once I discovered the pipe was a very close diameter to the Bmann drivers. Shims got everything "leveled" and I added some hidden screws to hold the sub assemblies to the footplate and chassis. Next up is to order some appropriate "hardware" from GRS and tackle the plumbing. The most striking component will be the pipe leads to the two check valves on either side of the boiler just ahead of the tanks........tom

IMG_1236.JPGIMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPGIMG_1232.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
More progress on my Ballymena & Larne #106. The major bodywork is completed with the addition of a lovely stack(funnel?) and steam dome courtesy of tac.....many thanks as they really give her a prototypic look.
I spray bombed a coat of primer on the tank/cab structure to reveal any areas that needed filling in with putty. I also gave the footplate and drive wheels a first coat of black paint.
The smoke box door was built up from styrene with track nails as rivets and I fashioned a hinge from scrap wire stock.
I fitted the driver's side water feed piping and made up a "clack" valve from styrene tubing and wood dowel.
Still plenty more to do, but this has been a fun project and when I refer to the photos I have of the prototype I feel I've gotten her "close enough" at least for me........tom

IMG_1242.JPGIMG_1247.JPGIMG_1246.JPGIMG_1244.JPGIMG_1245.JPGIMG_1243.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Did some additional "plumbing" fitting the fireman's side injector line and the blower line to the smokebox.
Fitted steps to the cab and some simple water tank lids for now until I can find better castings to fit.
I fitted some thick, clear styrene to the four rectangular windows, they are a press fit for now until I get the cab painted.

There is a tank or cylinder attached to the rear of the cab that is plumbed under the cab........any ideas of the purpose? I think it may hold compressed air for the train braking, but there doesn't appear to be a compressor on the engine to keep it in pressure. The engine was built by Beyer Peacock in the 1870's but upgraded over time. Plumbing won't be a problem as the lines in and out of the tank appear to run under the cab...........tomfullsizeoutput_57.jpegIMG_1249.JPGIMG_1252.JPGIMG_1254.JPGIMG_1255.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Look up Trackside Details and Ozark Miniatures in the USA. BTW, if you are going to have decals made for the railway company, you'd better spell 'Ballymena' correctly. ;)

tac

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Really coming along nicely.

QC Rwy.

Registered
21 Mar 2018
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wanted to post an update on construction. Been doing some work on the "plumbing" and other details.
IMG_1257.JPG

I fitted handrails using brass wire and small cotter pins held in place with epoxy. Also added an exhaust line for the vacuum braking system running from the cab to the smoke box. The twin safety valves are simple aluminum tubes mounted on a piece of plastic kit sprue.
The mount for the whistle is a piece of wooden dowel (the other "dohickie" is a fill-in until I figure out what was on the prototype)
IMG_1260.JPG

The larger piping runs from the blower to the smoke box. It's made in two parts so I can separate and remove the cab from the boiler.

IMG_1262.JPG

The rear mounted tank is the air reservoir for the vacuum braking system. The white upright cylinder at the cab entrance may be part of the brake controls.....don't know for sure, but that's what it appears to be.IMG_1261.JPG

A little hard to see, but I fitted a water line from each tank to a wooden dowel representing a pump that went to the injectors.

The cab steps are simply styrene angles.

Still to do is build the sand boxes and the tool chests at the front end.

I've fitted clear windows that can be removed for painting the cab. Next up is to consider what the paint livery was on the locomotive when she was in Northern Counties Committee service in the 1930's. Any suggestions??........thanks for looking ......tom

Reactions: 5 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wanted to post an update on construction. Been doing some work on the "plumbing" and other details.
View attachment 241746

I fitted handrails using brass wire and small cotter pins held in place with epoxy. Also added an exhaust line for the vacuum braking system running from the cab to the smoke box. The twin safety valves are simple aluminum tubes mounted on a piece of plastic kit sprue.
The mount for the whistle is a piece of wooden dowel (the other "dohickie" is a fill-in until I figure out what was on the prototype)
View attachment 241747

The larger piping runs from the blower to the smoke box. It's made in two parts so I can separate and remove the cab from the boiler.

View attachment 241748

The rear mounted tank is the air reservoir for the vacuum braking system. The white upright cylinder at the cab entrance may be part of the brake controls.....don't know for sure, but that's what it appears to be.View attachment 241750

A little hard to see, but I fitted a water line from each tank to a wooden dowel representing a pump that went to the injectors.

The cab steps are simply styrene angles.

Still to do is build the sand boxes and the tool chests at the front end.

I've fitted clear windows that can be removed for painting the cab. Next up is to consider what the paint livery was on the locomotive when she was in Northern Counties Committee service in the 1930's. Any suggestions??........thanks for looking ......tom
Certainly geting there. As for livery something tells me it could have been dark maroon but I am not sure what, certainly more research required I am afraid.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Aha a possible lead, I did a search on "pictures of NCC Narrow Gauge Locomotives" and came up with lots of pics of NCC Larger Gauge Locomotives in Maroon and a copyright picture of one of the Compounds also in Maroon. Then this book which also shows the Compound, I think it reasonable to think that the 0-6-0's would have been painted similarly in NCC days but as ever just a view not a certainty. Perhaps a sqint at the book if anyone has a copy may confirm somewhere in the Text?
image.jpeg

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent progress. I really like the way you are solving the problems of constructing the various details by making use of everyday items.

She'll look wonderful when you apply the livery.

Rik