IP Engineering wagon hinges

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone used the IP Engineering working dropside hinges? I've got a couple of IOM H wagon scratchbuilds on the go and would like to have working hinges, but I'm not sure what size these are: Working hinges for centre drop door | IP Engineering
Can anyone tell me the key dimensions, please?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
That hinge set appears to be similar to those I bought from Brandbright some years ago. As their once excellent range of parts has generally not re-appeared following take over, perhaps Ivan has acquired the more useful bits?
Measurements are: hinged post 40mm, receiver post 33mm, hinge width 13.5mm.
I found them to be rather delicate castings, but they do add some fun to your modelling...

drop door.jpgdropped door.jpg

Not the best of photos; my excuse is that I have reduced resolution for the sake of the Forum's storage.;)

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone tell me the key dimensions, please?

That hinge set appears to be similar to those I bought from Brandbright some years ago.

I agree with those dimensions, but I think that the IP Engineering "Homebuilder Parts" for wagons were formerly made by P & J Models (Paignton). Maybe they could be bought from Brandbright. I've detailed a goodly number of scratchbuilt wagon bodies with P & J Models' castings. I used to buy them from PPS Steam Models in Frome (no longer trading) en route to business meetings.

Perhaps the most notable difference is the cost. In my "castings" box I still have an unused set of "Working Dropside Hinges" (item W28) made by P& J Models with a price ticket of £4.80 still attached. I know there has been some inflation since I bought them (to my surprise, it seems that this could have been no later than 2012!) but the current price is slightly more than three times what I paid. I suspect that's the difference between "a cottage industry" and a commercial producer.

All the best

David

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
That hinge set appears to be similar to those I bought from Brandbright some years ago. As their once excellent range of parts has generally not re-appeared following take over, perhaps Ivan has acquired the more useful bits?
I found them to be rather delicate castings, but they do add some fun to your modelling...

View attachment 258056View attachment 258057

Not the best of photos; my excuse is that I have reduced resolution for the sake of the Forum's storage.;)

Thanks for all the feedback -I'll have a measure of the intended wagons and see how they look. Whilst I note the price rise over the years, I don't imagine they will be the biggest seller, so it's a case of paying for all the ones that don't get sold as much as the ones that do.