IMR Cattle wagon

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The Isle of Man has certain privileges in English law, and so whilst the rest of the UK had to run roofed cattle wagons from early in the 20th century, the Isle of Man Railway had at least one unroofed cattle wagon until it fell apart sometime in the late '50's/early 60's. Apparently it was used for transporting sheep, too: the prospect of mixing oily wool and smuts from the engine doesn't really bear thinking about! I've just completed the scratchbuild of one; it can be seen standing with two other s/built roofed vans.
56df5765d1924c56b0ac23b336d0ff7b.jpg
3126e056d7194ab58a506c8fcb07e35e.jpg

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
That's a lovely piece of work and most unusual too. Thanks also for today's 'I never knew that' item - wonder how long the old brain cells will be able to continue absorbing these! :D

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A really impressive bit of modelling. I like the fine detailing on the metal parts.

Rik

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your kind comments. The ironwork is a combination of Brandbright white metal castings and laser cut styrene + Cambrian rivets & nuts. Running gear is from IP Engineering, via Trackshack.

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Very nice. Cattle wagons are on my todo list. So very inspirational. The ironworks are good I must take alook at brandbright( though isn't the website awful?) I want to make my own as white metal castings are a bit pricey.

As for English law, was it a humane act to roof the wagons?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Nice model, really nice model.:)
One thing about the IOM - the cattle wouldn't be on long enough to get wet ...

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
the cattle wouldn't be on long enough to get wet ... - See more at: http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=294093&mpage=1#294162 < Link To http://www.forum.gscalece...093&mpage=1#294162
Don't you believe it! Being situated way out west, it can be very wet! I have no evidence, but I imagine that the move to roofed vans was done for animal welfare reasons -though it could have been to ensure a supply of unscarred leather...