David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Claptowte Railway is set in an era when milk is still transported in churns that are either delivered to the railway station milk loading dock , or left at designated lineside farmer’s loading platforms, along the way. The company was in need of a vehicle to transport the churns to the dairy. My initial thoughts were to construct a bogie vehicle with louvred sides along the lines of the Great Western Railway Siphon. This would have been finished in passenger stock livery and included in the passenger vehicle rosta. I purchased two LGB Toytrain box vans to join together and form the basis of such a vehicle.

Sometime after the event, I decided instead, to keep the box vans as two 4-wheel vehicles, still with louvred sides, and finish them in the railway’s freight livery. They could then be run as part of a mixed stock milk train, creating more visual interest, with the mix of 4-wheel and bogie vehicles and passenger and freight liveries. Although technically freight vehicles, these vans will only ever be run with passenger stock, either forming part of the early morning milk train, or when being returned empty, attached to a passenger train, for return to the milk loading dock. In such workings they would be shunted by the passenger locomotive. Thus came about the following conversions.

The starting point, as with all of my goods van stock, is the LGB Toytrain Box Van

xdig 130313001.JPG

After dismantling, the firsr stage is to remove the moulded end ladders, side steps and handrails. The smoothed off areas are then scribed to restore the planking. You end up with a plain inside framed wagon that forms the basis of several different conversions.

xdig 130313002.JPG

In order to add some visual interest and character to the plain van body, outside framing is added using plasticard strip.

xdig 150730009.JPG

I experimented with different ideas to represent the louvre panels. Nothing came close to the appearance I was striving for. I decided to bite the bullet and create the louvres by building them slat by slat, for real. Twelve panels per wagon, ten slats per panel (some panels actually have eleven slats in order to get the height correct), that’s 120+ slats per van. The conversion may not have been as dramatic a transformation as the cattle wagons, that I created, but this has been the most time consuming and detailed conversion that I have attempted. A real labour of love.

xdig 150730010.JPG

The roofs were both GRS van conversion kits that I bought years ago in anticipation of using them on the pair of cattle wagons. As it happened, those roofs came from another source, so the GRS kits were spare. The usual Claptowte Railway embellishments, brake lever from plasticard. Lamp irons, handrail knobs and wire, roof ventilators from GRS. Al Kramer wheels. Homemade maker’s plate.

xdig 150801001.JPG

xdig 150801003.JPG

The finished model. I have yet to complete the second van. Initially I ran out of plastic strip for the slats, now the paint shop has run out of paint. Watch this space for the two completed vans together.

xdig 150804001.JPG

xdig 150804002.JPG

xdig 150804003.JPG

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice conversion David....

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Very effective and impressive.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
WELL IM IMPRESSED,,,,,, SO IT MUST BE GOOD,,,,,,

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
daveyb said:
WELL IM IMPRESSED,,,,,, SO IT MUST BE GOOD,,,,,,
I have seen everything that you have made and, behold, it is very good ;). In fact, I am cribbing your ideas for some wagons; why do my own thinking when someone else has done it better? :D

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
An impressive bit of work -particularly those louvres! Difficult to get all the slats the same length and parallel, I'm sure. The word 'bash' seems inappropriate for this kind of quality.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Another brilliant bash, David. What glue do you use to fix the plasticard to the LGB plastic? I find that some solvents aren't always too good.

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Another brilliant bash, David. What glue do you use to fix the plasticard to the LGB plastic? I find that some solvents aren't always too good.

Rik

Butanone. I've never had any problems with it, although you don't want to breath too much of it in..

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very good.. Can't wait to see the 'udder' one as well! ::) ;) ;)

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent job. A very clever 'bash'

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the work is def not skimmed!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My efforts would pail in comparison..
:D

That makes five 'dairy' related puns so far.. ;)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
My efforts would pail in comparison..
:D

That makes five 'dairy' related puns so far.. ;)

I herd that it was six...

Better get the second milk (wagon) maid...

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
David your conversions a like a master class in Toytrain bashing. Superb milk van bash.

Can't wait to see the udder one. ;)

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent conversion , Dave, are you looking for any more 'donor' wagons as K G R has some on offer at £17:50 a pop, says they are half price
Dave

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i just hope yoghurt another few to match it,,,,, :happy:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Tanker man said:
are you looking for any more 'donor' wagons as K G R has some on offer at £17:50 a pop, says they are half price
Dave
I am looking for a couple of the Toytrain Shell Tankers, but I don't see these ones on offer on the KGR website?

Do you have a linky please....

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great transformation, ;) ;) looks great 8) 8)