IP Engineering open cattle wagon

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
If you give me the inside dimensions of the most popular of the model wagons used for this service, I'll see what i can do.... up to now I have given this whole sheep business considerable thought, and much of that thinking can be applied here. I won't give away any secrets at this early stage, but my sheep project is quite exciting and consists of several parts. I'd be delighted to fit it to British practice.
By the way, can we post privately to other members on this site, d'you know?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If you give me the inside dimensions of the most popular of the model wagons used for this service, I'll see what i can do.... up to now I have given this whole sheep business considerable thought, and much of that thinking can be applied here. I won't give away any secrets at this early stage, but my sheep project is quite exciting and consists of several parts. I'd be delighted to fit it to British practice.
Yes, click on the envelope icon top right

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi John
I can only give you internal dimensions of the IP Engineering wagon I have constructed here - it's 190mm x 84mm. The most popular sheep wagon would be that made by Accucraft, based on the Welshpool and Llanfair sheep wagon. Does anyone have one of those handy to get its internal dimensions?

Yes. It's possible to PM on the forum. Just click on the name of the poster an it should offer you the option to start a conversation

Rik

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Hi John
I can only give you internal dimensions of the IP Engineering wagon I have constructed here - it's 190mm x 84mm. The most popular sheep wagon would be that made by Accucraft, based on the Welshpool and Llanfair sheep wagon. Does anyone have one of those handy to get its internal dimensions?

Yes. It's possible to PM on the forum. Just click on the name of the poster an it should offer you the option to start a conversation

Rik
Thanks Rik - Your info is filed in my sheepfolder. -John

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Rik
[/QUOTE]
Because the loops are thin, they cannot be used for propelling stock and so all my stock has to have centre buffers.

If all your loops were tilted at a slight but similar angle left to right, when they contact each other they would cross each other rather than lie parallel. I wonder if this would solve the problem of propelling the wagons in shunting moves?

Reactions: 1 user

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Rik - Your info is filed in my sheepfolder. -John
I'll go hunting for the dimensions of the W&L wagon - I've found a picture. Now there's the small matter of scale - my original sheep project was to be in 1:24 scale, which I shall still do, as I want some in that scale. But, as a newbie on this forum, I am getting some surprises. The source for the W&L wagon picture labelled it as 1:19 scale -??? is that right? Are you Rik, with your IP equipment modelling in 1:16 scale? And what is 16 mm scale anyway, as a proportion to the prototype? Is that what you're using? What scale of sheep - as a proportion please, ie 1:x - would be most useful? I'm finding myself most unused to some of this single-digit (ie 16mm) nomenclature. Any unpacking of it would be very helpful. So are you using #1 gauge under this gear? Cheers!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'll go hunting for the dimensions of the W&L wagon - I've found a picture. Now there's the small matter of scale - my original sheep project was to be in 1:24 scale, which I shall still do, as I want some in that scale. But, as a newbie on this forum, I am getting some surprises. The source for the W&L wagon picture labelled it as 1:19 scale -??? is that right? Are you Rik, with your IP equipment modelling in 1:16 scale? And what is 16 mm scale anyway, as a proportion to the prototype? Is that what you're using? What scale of sheep - as a proportion please, ie 1:x - would be most useful? I'm finding myself most unused to some of this single-digit (ie 16mm) nomenclature. Any unpacking of it would be very helpful. So are you using #1 gauge under this gear? Cheers!
Hi John
Ah, the old garden railway scale / gauge conundrum.... :eek: ;)

16mm scale means 16mm to the foot, which gives two foot gauge on O gauge (32mm) track. This equates to 1:19. By contrast, 1:20.3 (referred to as F scale or Fn3) is 15mm to the foot which gives three foot gauge on 45mm track. There is also SE (seven-eighths or 7/8" to the foot) which is 1:13.7 which then gives two foot gauge on 45mm track.

I reckon if you go for sheep around 1:20 scale they will fit both 16mm and 15mm scales. 7/8 is a different kettle of fish .... :wasntme:

Rik
PS Whatever you do, don't ask anyone to explain what "G Scale" means ....... :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi John
Ah, the old garden railway scale / gauge conundrum.... :eek: ;)

16mm scale means 16mm to the foot, which gives two foot gauge on O gauge (32mm) track. This equates to 1:19. By contrast, 1:20.3 (referred to as F scale or Fn3) is 15mm to the foot which gives three foot gauge on 45mm track. There is also SE (seven-eighths or 7/8" to the foot) which is 1:13.7 which then gives two foot gauge on 45mm track.

I reckon if you go for sheep around 1:20 scale they will fit both 16mm and 15mm scales. 7/8 is a different kettle of fish .... :wasntme:

Rik
PS Whatever you do, don't ask anyone to explain what "G Scale" means ....... :eek: :rolleyes:
Oh crikey no to G indeed, we could be on about that for another 150 posts - yet again!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You might like to 'dribble' a wash of thin white paint around the bottom of the planking to simulate the lime wash that was used as a disinfectant at that time. It ran out of all the gaps in the planking and over the frame...

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
John,

16mm to the foot (16.04 to be exact) is 1:19. figures for that are about 100mm/4" high.
looking for a nervous breakdown? just take a look at a list of scales and denominations: scales

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Hello again Korm. Ratios are well within my comfort zone. 1:20 is comprehensible.... The clarification is much appreciated, Ric, and now I know where I'm going. I can plan to make 'em in two sizes, 1:24 for myself and my fellow 1:24 modelers, 1:20 for everyone else, on both sides of the pond. Cheers!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
You might like to 'dribble' a wash of thin white paint around the bottom of the planking to simulate the lime wash that was used as a disinfectant at that time. It ran out of all the gaps in the planking and over the frame...
I've been speculating on that Tac. My railway is set in the 1930s and I think they stopped lime washing in the 20s. However, Peckforton is a bit of a backwater so who knows.....

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
If all your loops were tilted at a slight but similar angle left to right, when they contact each other they would cross each other rather than lie parallel. I wonder if this would solve the problem of propelling the wagons in shunting moves?
Nice idea, John. I didn't think of that. I've gone down the centre buffer route now so it's not necessary, but if/when I get around to blogging about it, I might mention that as an option.

Thanks

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
The latest on this. Yesterday, I received a parcel from a fellow modeller containing three clusters of 3D printed sheep.
IMG_0014.JPG

I had arranged my six available sheep on a baseplate of corruflute which was exactly 1/3 of the area of the wagon and then sent him him a series of photos taken from various angles. From these pictures, he was able to create a 3D image suitable for printing.
screenshot.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't notice that some of their snouts and bums were overlapping the baseplate and so he had to reduce them in size slightly so they would fit. He even printed one set in reverse to try and overcome the regimented layout. The threesome fit nicely in the wagon, with a little bit of spare capacity for another couple of sheep.
IMG_0015.JPG

Of course, they need painting which will make the baseplates 'disappear', but I am delighted with the outcome. A lot more realistic than my blobby plaster cast version.
IMG_0016.JPG

Rik

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They are very good.. And an excellent example of the technology, used to convert from photo(s) to 3D render.

Though, I have not heard of the Cheshire Blobby breed of sheep before!
:giggle::giggle:

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
I'm impressed, but there's still room for improvement. I shall press on with my own ideas. At the moment my sheep project is in a queue behind two other projects, both bespoke.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
They are very good.. And an excellent example of the technology, used to convert from photo(s) to 3D render.

Though, I have not heard of the Cheshire Blobby breed of sheep before! :giggle::giggle:

The Cheshire Blobby is better known its correct name - the Cheshire Threedy.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've now painted the 3D printed sheep which my mate kindly did for me. I think they look pretty convincing....
IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

I also decided to see if I could improve on my plaster casting - I bought a kilo of plaster and I'd hate to see it go to waste.
IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

I bunched these more closely together and I think it's an improvement. But I don't think I can match the 3D printed ones.

Rik

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I've now painted the 3D printed sheep which my mate kindly did for me. I think they look pretty convincing....
IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

I also decided to see if I could improve on my plaster casting - I bought a kilo of plaster and I'd hate to see it go to waste.
IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

I bunched these more closely together and I think it's an improvement. But I don't think I can match the 3D printed ones.

Rik
Rik the 3D one do look good, but the plaster one, once painted aren't bad :)