I have 23582/23570 brought from ebay

M

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
loco sound starts as soon as it is put on the track as do the other part that goes with the loco I have l.g.b m.t.s and can not find the call up code for loco to make it move
I live in Stevenage can anyone help please.
the leaflet says about m.t.s but I don't know if loco is fitted with them. loco is union pacific 23582/23570

kim

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Blackpoo
Have you got the instructions for the mts? If so follow instructions and re-address the loco, both A+B units on the track.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
You only have 22 loco address options with an MTS system, so it's actually not a very long job to just try each loco address number in turn until something happens.....
Do you have the box(es) for the model? If so, does it have the MTS Digital logo on the box end label?
Also, take a look at the underside of the loco - if it was MTS chipped at the factory, then it should have a rectangular silver sticker with the stylised "D" symbol on it - if you can't find that, what other labels or stickers are on the loco underside?

Jon.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
loco sound starts as soon as it is put on the track as do the other part that goes with the loco I have l.g.b m.t.s and can not find the call up code for loco to make it move
I live in Stevenage can anyone help please.
the leaflet says about m.t.s but I don't know if loco is fitted with them. loco is union pacific 23582/23570
I live not too far away in St.Neots. You are more than welcome to come over here and try things out. Though I use mostly Battery now the line in my Main Shed is still OK for Track Power using Massoth Kit that should be able to interrogate the Loco ok.

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Probably set to the default address 003, but as Jon says, try from 001 to 022....

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Or try the digits of the running-number of the loco..

M

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
You only have 22 loco address options with an MTS system, so it's actually not a very long job to just try each loco address number in turn until something happens.....
Do you have the box(es) for the model? If so, does it have the MTS Digital logo on the box end label?
Also, take a look at the underside of the loco - if it was MTS chipped at the factory, then it should have a rectangular silver sticker with the stylised "D" symbol on it - if you can't find that, what other labels or stickers are on the loco underside?

Jon.
thanks for advice
I am not very good on computers so sorry for late reply
I will look tonight
thank you

D

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA
You need to read CV29 to find out if it has short or long addressing. Should be 4 for old MTS systems.
LGB standard address in CV 1 was 3 but users like me use the marker board number. (exception was the MTS sets which used 2 and 4 for the address).
So, set cv 29 to 4 to insure short address/14 speed steps and DC operation, plus set CV1 to an address your system can handle.

M

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
You need to read CV29 to find out if it has short or long addressing. Should be 4 for old MTS systems.
LGB standard address in CV 1 was 3 but users like me use the marker board number. (exception was the MTS sets which used 2 and 4 for the address).
So, set cv 29 to 4 to insure short address/14 speed steps and DC operation, plus set CV1 to an address your system can handle.

M

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
I thank you all for your help.
is there anyone living close to Stevenage that may help in reprograming this loco. as I am finding it hard to do
thanks mark

Ralphmp

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Mark, conversation started.

Best wishes

Phil

M

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
I live not too far away in St.Neots. You are more than welcome to come over here and try things out. Though I use mostly Battery now the line in my Main Shed is still OK for Track Power using Massoth Kit that should be able to interrogate the Loco ok.

M

marks

Registered
14 Jun 2019
hartfordshire
that's kind of you I pass by st. neots when I go to nene valley railway to play. so maybe I could pop in then if you are about I will pay you for your time. my mobile is 07914694560. txt as I work underground. thank you so much mark

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Further to all of this Mark came round to see me with his Loco and MTS Gear today. Bit of a brain bender this setup. I quickly discovered that the Loco was not Chipped as Mark had thought. But did run happily on my Massoth System as an Analogue Loco on address 0 Motor Whistling as expected and the Sound Very Loud. Sound was reduced with the Volume Adjustment on the B Unit. Here is where things get a bit tricky, on Marks MTS the Loco would not work on 0. So I got one of my Locomotives (Loco No 16) out which ran happily using Marks System. Hm....

So we went to my Workbench and I pulled the Loco apart in an attempt to see if I could Chip it up. It has the Direct Decoder Sticker but needs the Chip to be wired in. I only had 1 Chip so that was no good as it needs 2 55021. So looked at GRS Site they have a 55021 but listed as a III. Will these be compatible to Mark’s System which I think is a bit of a mush mash between Serial and P?

As you can see the Left Hand 55016 has P Sticker on the rear but is just 55016. Whereas the 55016 on the Right has 55015P ref no on the face. Not encountered this before but I guess that means that both Handsets are P? However his Central Station does not have a P so I am assuming it to be an old Serial one.
128405_5a1429a308f3692e7692ad41fa8d6495.jpeg

128406_0ee64aa5a1a9ec1af619ec53c0f5a871.jpeg

Finally a look inside the Loco. It is not a Plug In Type as expected with this below
128410_b56ab42315edebe0d490af4128ffcd67.jpeg

But the Circuit Board has the possibility to Wire in 2 Decoders via the Pins as seen below towards the Top Right of the Board. The 2 missing / empty Sockets are where the Lights to the Front if the Loco Plugged in and the connections for the B Unit. I unplugged these to see my way round on the Board.
128408_d170b62519ba443e76fb0a17031c2221.jpeg

So to summarise the Help that Mark needs.

Does anyone have a 55021 Chip (not III) that Mark can buy?

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
The round black sticker with the six white dots means that the loco requires the decoder(s) plus one of the six-way adaptor cables, as you've found; a "direct decoder" loco that takes the direct plug-in decoder(s) is identified by a different sticker, a silver one with the words "direct decoder" round the edge. I think the white 6-pin socket directly below the DIP switches is for the adaptor cable plug, while the motor/power wires go to the two sets of pins that you've identified.

Early MTSII"P" kit was identified by the separate black sticker with the white "P" - later production versions had the "p" suffix on the part number, eg: 55016p. As long as EVERY element of the control system has EITHER the "P" sticker OR the "p" suffix, then the system will work in Parallel mode. If some parts of it have neither, then I believe the whole system will only work in Serial mode. But, given the vintage of this loco, the sound board in the B unit may well be serial-only anyway.....

Jon.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Wouldn't a Massoth XL be more cost effective?

Ralphmp

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Jon

I have a pair of 55021s that I've pulled when I upgraded a 2-motor loco (Mallet) to Massoth XLS. I don't know how to tell if the 55021s are the Mk III or not or if these are what you need? I realise you've only asked for one decoder, but as this pair has worked together previously (DCC address #3) I'm assuming that might simplify the set up process.

Let me know if these are of interest.

Cheers
Phil

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Jon

I have a pair of 55021s that I've pulled when I upgraded a 2-motor loco (Mallet) to Massoth XLS. I don't know how to tell if the 55021s are the Mk III or not or if these are what you need? I realise you've only asked for one decoder, but as this pair has worked together previously (DCC address #3) I'm assuming that might simplify the set up process.

Let me know if these are of interest.

Cheers
Phil
Pm sent.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
First a big thanks to Phil for the 2 55021’s at a very good deal. They have now both been installed in Mark’s Loco and work fine for running and sound. All the DIPS put to 0 but we get no control of Sound or Lights on either my Massoth or Marks LGB Setup. I suspect that there may be a default CV or two to be revised for this Direct Decoder via Wires, but wonder if it is the age of the Loco. I appear to remember when my old Brown Mallett or similar Vintage (now with Phil) had similar issues with Whistle not being usable at all after being chipped with 2 x 55021’s. In the meantime I think that Mark is now a happy bunny.

Loco seen running on my line with the former Ruschbahn Fuel Train.
128901_5c68822e6e696dcd3271f777c9f49dfd.jpeg
128902_1e13cef610cc62a9bb34d66fab905cf2.jpeg

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Did you enable serial commands, Jon?