Help with LGB Decoder madness

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Hi. Both of those LGB decoders you have quoted are for small locos. I believe the current rating is something like 0.8amp. you'll need something which will handle a significantly larger loading. I've got three of the SNCF versions - all DCC, but don't have a clue what's inside. If I knew how to take one apart I'd have a look for you.
3 of em....I am still looking for my first....lol

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm really helping someone can help me understand how I need to progress this. I'm stumped!

I have an LGB Mikado that has the Direct Decoder sticker underneath - from my research that means it should suit an LGB 55020/55021 or a Massoth L decoder daughterboard which plugs into the main board at the front of the loco..
View attachment 261140
The internal boards on my loco are as shown in the picture (the ribbon-cable type that hooks the small distribution board (center of picture) to the mainboard (shown at the bottom)) so it's not decoder-equipped at the moment as I understand it.
View attachment 261141
But... when I look at pictures of the decoders mentioned, above the pins do not look as though they'd match up? I'm at a complete loss. Is anyone able to confirm with a photo or part number, what decoder I need for this board?If I can't figure it out, I think my only option is going to be to rip everything out and start with bare wires to a 3rd party decoder instead. Does anyone agree?

Appreciate any help anyone can give!

Hi - Did you get it sorted out.......this thread just kinda stopped without any conclusion? Be advised that Massoth makes suitable dcc power or power/sound decoders that work on LGB circuit boards that have newer technology and power than the old LGB power decoders you're referring to. Note: Massoth made those LGB decoders originally which are no longer produced.

1. Massoth eMOTION L Locomotive 2.5 amp Decoder (replaces LGB 55021);
2. Massoth eMOTION XL Locomotive 4 amp Decoder (replaces LGB 55027).

Tom

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi - Did you get it sorted out.......this thread just kinda stopped without any conclusion? Be advised that Massoth makes suitable dcc power or power/sound decoders that work on LGB circuit boards that have newer technology and power than the old LGB power decoders you're referring to. Note: Massoth made those LGB decoders originally which are no longer produced.

1. Massoth eMOTION L Locomotive 2.5 amp Decoder (replaces LGB 55021);
2. Massoth eMOTION XL Locomotive 4 amp Decoder (replaces LGB 55027).

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for following up on this and sorry for not posting an update, what with one thing and another I overlooked it.

I ended up talking to Paul Giordano who reached out in a Facebook Group. Like you, he really knew his stuff and was able to supply me with the LGB Mikado mainboard and a valve gear part I was after. He also recommended Massoth as the decoder daughterboard and mentioned the LGB tie-in.

I've picked up an eMotion L which looked as though it'd be sufficient but have yet to fit it - I don't have my layout down yet so have just run the Mikado on a short piece of rail under DC.

You may be able to answer a question regarding the decoder - as the loco already runs directional lights and speed-controlled sound on DC, presumably the decoder would only really add the ability to control motion on a DCC layout (and perhaps a sound or two at rest?)

I love your website by the way, I spent an enjoyable morning browsing around it!

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of these beasts on the bench & I think it has a faulty decoder. Can anyone give me a clue on how to get to it. There are a lot of screws & it isn't my loco anyway.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Lot's of photo's.. So you can find your way out again! :):nod:

shadowvfx

Registered
13 Sep 2022
Mukilteo, WA
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Tom,

Thanks for following up on this and sorry for not posting an update, what with one thing and another I overlooked it.

I ended up talking to Paul Giordano who reached out in a Facebook Group. Like you, he really knew his stuff and was able to supply me with the LGB Mikado mainboard and a valve gear part I was after. He also recommended Massoth as the decoder daughterboard and mentioned the LGB tie-in.

I've picked up an eMotion L which looked as though it'd be sufficient but have yet to fit it - I don't have my layout down yet so have just run the Mikado on a short piece of rail under DC.

You may be able to answer a question regarding the decoder - as the loco already runs directional lights and speed-controlled sound on DC, presumably the decoder would only really add the ability to control motion on a DCC layout (and perhaps a sound or two at rest?)

I love your website by the way, I spent an enjoyable morning browsing around it!
Hi there. I am looking into doing the exact same thing you did and wanted to know if you had success with the Massoth Emotion L decoder? I'm also curious if it was truly a plug-in-play drop in? Lastly, did the locomotive behave the same on DC after the install as it did before the install?

Sorry for resurrecting a 2 year old thread, but I'm a complete noob to DCC tech and am trying to do as much homework as possible before I "take the plunge".

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
shadowvfx - What specific LGB locomotive (Description and LGB # shown on the bottom) do you want to convert to DCC? Then we can tell you if it has a factory DCC Interface Connector, and which type of connector, for installing a DCC locomotive decoder or a DCC sound decoder using it.

Also, please keep in mind that the Massoth L Decoder has 2.5 amps capacity which is suitable for a one motor block locomotive; for a two motor block locomotive, you should use a Massoth XL Locomotive Decoder with its 4 amps capacity. If your LGB locomotive has a DCC Interface Connector, but no factory sound, and you want sound, then you'd install a Massoth XLS DCC Sound Decoder with its 4 amps capacity, or for a smaller locomotive, you could use the Massoth LS DCC Sound Decoder.

shadowvfx

Registered
13 Sep 2022
Mukilteo, WA
Best answers
Country flag
I am trying to chip the LGB Mikado. Just like the OP. From everything I can tell (and based on the posts in this thread), the Massoth Emotion L decoder is a drop-in fit. I was just hoping that the OP would report back if he had success or not and/or if he had any advice for someone that was going to attempt the same thing he did.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum shadowfx, you'll find all the info you'll ever need on here, just beware of the appalling puns and jokes!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I am trying to chip the LGB Mikado. Just like the OP. From everything I can tell (and based on the posts in this thread), the Massoth Emotion L decoder is a drop-in fit. I was just hoping that the OP would report back if he had success or not and/or if he had any advice for someone that was going to attempt the same thing he did.

You have to take into account the OP has not been on the forum for over a year Aug 2021.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I did a replacement decoder for a friend on a Mikado. Out with a duff 55021 & in with an L. After dismantling the loco I found out I didn't need to. Unfortunately I cannot remember what I did but there was access without dismantling.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Here's the LGB User Guide that contains some information about the conversion process to DCC.

Attachments

• LGB 20872 Mikado User Guide.pdf
    187.2 KB · Views: 0