Help fitting a massoth xls to a Bachmann 45 ton diesel

lone ranger

Trams, Southern region BR & USA steam G Scale
29 Apr 2011
Kirby Cross Frinton-on-Sea Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, has any one fitted a Massoth xls chip and speaker in a Bachmann 45 ton diesel. ( that's the one with the whizzy cranks item no 81897) I could do with a few hints and tips. I'm sure one of you will know a good way of doing it. :clap:

Thanks in anticipation

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
lone ranger said:
Hi all, has any one fitted a Massoth xls chip and speaker in a Bachmann 45 ton diesel. ( that's the one with the whizzy cranks item no 81897) I could do with a few hints and tips. I'm sure one of you will know a good way of doing it. :clap:

Thanks in anticipation

Should be fairly straightforward, Jerry - has the loco got a DCC 10-pin socket? If so, the 10-way harness that comes with the XLS should just plug straight in.

Jon.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I may be wrong but I think that the first run of the 45 tonner didn't have any DCC ready connections but the later one did.. How old is it Jerry?

lone ranger

29 Apr 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi thanks Jon, Mike, Roly. I've finally found away into the beast :D Attached are photos of the main board
f469d73566334baba14351bb7ef5c94d.jpg
cb21c7b833294bfa99ba4102094ab08e.jpg

As you can see along one edge are six green screw terminals marked 1 to 12 now I would suppose that it is these terminals that the chip should be connected to? It would just help if I could find a wiring diagram!!! The only other way I can see is to strip the pcb out and rewire the lot:bleh:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Time for the trusty multimeter!! Not seen the innards of one of these in the flesh. I would imagine you'll have two sets of pickups and motor feeds coming up to the board, plus lighting. Shouldn't be too difficult. Must admit I tend to leave the existing board in place wherever possible, might as well use any existing voltage regulation etc. It may also have a power transistor to drive the smoke unit, allowing use of a decoder function output.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jerry
Apparently the two motors can on start-up pull up to 2.5 amps so the XLS should be fine. The screw terminals are indeed for the DCC board. I have the wiring diagram for the Spectrum 2-6-0 which is a bit like yours except for one motor of course. If you remove the switch panel the labels by the screw terminals should give you an idea.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Are there any downloadable manuals or wiring diagrams for these locos anywhere on the interwebs?

Jon.

lone ranger

29 Apr 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Are there any downloadable manuals or wiring diagrams for these locos anywhere on the interwebs?

Jon.
Not found any yet Jon X(

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag

lone ranger

29 Apr 2011
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Jerry
Apparently the two motors can on start-up pull up to 2.5 amps so the XLS should be fine. The screw terminals are indeed for the DCC board. I have the wiring diagram for the Spectrum 2-6-0 which is a bit like yours except for one motor of course. If you remove the switch panel the labels by the screw terminals should give you an idea.
Hi mike labels are as follows first block S1. Second block S2 third block S3 and so on up to S6 not very help full. It would be nice if some one had a wiring diagram or manual they could copy for me. I have been to the bachmann large scale forum found nothing there:thumbdown: also the support section and apart from the old columbines it must be the only manual thats missing there.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Jerry, I'll have a search tomorrow - I MIGHT just have a manual for one of these, I had an unlettered yellow one that I sold again a couple of years back, and now I think there is a chance that the manual may not have gone with it.... no promises, but I'll look.

Jon.

EDIT: Saturday morning - sorry Jerry, just had a search through a pile of instructions etc. and can't find any trace of it - maybe it went with the loco after all... apologies for getting your hopes up.... :(

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It never occurred to me that I might have a drawing of the DCC arrangement (having misplaced the manual) but, having just been in my shed, I spotted the box that mine came in. I found 3 sheets of which the following is DCC.

My IT skills are poor - I scanned it in to Picture-It, converted to Jpeg and enlarged three sections. I don't know if its any use.

64cd5fbe899e4f3ca05aa51eb08c5df5.jpg

cf9393642288449ca0cc03217806d7a5.jpg

a691ee6498d845d693ddbadfecdc5df2.jpg

5ca2b835ef39430099ac9cb8afd53ed1.jpg

I doubt that I'll go DCC - I have high BP as it is:rofl::rofl:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant, Mick - that's the sheet I was looking for but couldn't find! :D

Still not quite sure how much it'll help, Jerry - is the rectangular diagram at the lower left supposed to be the decoder (marked LE4024)?

Jon.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great find Mick but together with Jerry's photo and your schematics it looks like this is one of the earlier 'not DCC ready' versions. It can be DCC-ed but if is not as easy as if it was plainly obvious which connections to make.
The schematics do make it easier to trace the connections to the screw terminals though.
Good luck Jerry....you know you can do it!!!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Further to my last post.... the LE4024 looks like it might be a Lenz large-scale decoder - here:

http://www.lenzusa.com/products/decoders/olddecoders/le4024.htm < Link To http://www.lenzusa.com/pr...olddecoders/le4024.htm

Jon.
Oooh yes you are spot on there Jon well done Sherlock and the pdf manual shows the wiring!!
I take it back...it was DCC ready..... but sort of............

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Zerogee said:
Further to my last post.... the LE4024 looks like it might be a Lenz large-scale decoder - here:

http://www.lenzusa.com/products/decoders/olddecoders/le4024.htm < Link To http://www.lenzusa.com/pr...olddecoders/le4024.htm

Jon.
Oooh yes you are spot on there Jon well done Sherlock and the pdf manual shows the wiring!!
I take it back...it was DCC ready..... but sort of............

Ahh, Glasshopper, my Google-Fu is strong today! ;)

Hope it helps, Jerry.

Jon.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful wiring direct to the motors on a non DCC ready loco, the chokes will need removing from the motors as they will cause the decoder to terminally fail. And that's expensive. Best find an instruction diagram as wiring through the DCC ready board is OK.
How do I know this, I refuse to comment on the grounds that I might incriminate myself :happy::happy:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
bigjack said:
Be careful wiring direct to the motors on a non DCC ready loco, the chokes will need removing from the motors as they will cause the decoder to terminally fail. And that's expensive. Best find an instruction diagram as wiring through the DCC ready board is OK.
How do I know this, I refuse to comment on the grounds that I might incriminate myself :happy::happy:

Harken, do I hear a fizzling noise and smell the delicate aroma of the Magic Smoke escaping....? ;)

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
bigjack said:

Harken, do I hear a fizzling noise and smell the delicate aroma of the Magic Smoke escaping....? ;)

Jon.
I'm choking on that one....