Help finding Massoth Sound data sheets

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I need to update the data sheet for my LGB Rack loco. It's now fitted with a Massoth sound decoder.

Where can I find the .pdf or whatever that will allow me to produce an updated sheet for the current (changed) CV's?

I went through the Resources section of this site, found the relevant project listed and clicked Download. But that just dumped me into the Massoth site Wiki, containing a load of stuff about uncouplers and nothing about sound projects.

Guidance appreciated from the Massoth gurus out there. Thanks in advance.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth sound data sheets are provided with the MST (Massoth Service Tool) software and are no longer available online.

In the MST, you need to open the Sounds section, select the appropriate decoder and sound and then you can open the datasheet using the provided button.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mark. You come up with the goods as usual. I hope your business is holding up during the lockdown?

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Alternatively...using the directory structure of the hard disk.

Directory  Structure.PNG

Look for the Folder Sounds, they are in PDF format, open using prefered PDF reader and print.
Sounds.PNG

May need to carry out an Online Update to have the latest uptodate version available.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the screen shots. Will dig out the laptop and MST tomorrow. Probably be back then asking for help on how to update......

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If you don't have the Massoth Service Tool I found a PDF of the data sheet here:
https://www.modell-land.de/images/daten/8210047.pdf
I found it by looking at the list of projects on the Massoth wiki then googling (in this case) "8210047 pdf"
I guess it may not be the latest revision but I don't think they change much.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you don't have the Massoth Service Tool I found a PDF of the data sheet here:
I found it by looking at the list of projects on the Massoth wiki then googling (in this case) "8210047 pdf"
Much better for us mere mortals that do not have the Massoth Service Tool.

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
As it happens last night I stumbled over the updated list of projects on the Wiki; never knew it was there!

I do have the MST but thanks to Dave for the alternative.

The wiki list showed me that there is a project for a particular model I needed, which I did not expect. Now I just have to do my first sound project update...................

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's interesting, looking at the file referenced by Dave, the bottom of the sheet says to set CV29 to "analog blocked" (wrong language) and has an exclamation mark !

So why the heck would that be important? The exclamation mark implies this is important (as well as using the term "blocked" vs. "not enabled")

Are there issues with these decoders and "analog conversion enabled"?

Greg

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
That's interesting, looking at the file referenced by Dave, the bottom of the sheet says to set CV29 to "analog blocked" (wrong language) and has an exclamation mark !

So why the heck would that be important? The exclamation mark implies this is important (as well as using the term "blocked" vs. "not enabled")

Greg

Greg,

Please program for functions >F12 CV49 = 18, for 28 Speedsteps CV29 = 6 or 2 (Analog blocked)!

It is just a note (hint) trying to remind you that if you you want 28 speedstepsm set CV29 to 6 (Digital+Analog 28 steps) or 2 (Digital only 28 steps).

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Their (Massoth) translations from native German to English often leave a lot to be desired, hence " blocked" rather than "disabled" for example. Sometimes they just forget and leave German text on a supposedly English page in their manuals. Their products are good but their (English) documentation not so good.

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
As an alternative way of finding Massoth sound sheets I found this on allaboutlgb web site - scroll down a few screens:
AllAboutLGB: Massoth eMOTION S Sound Decoder
I don't know if it is a comprehensive list but it's easy to use and even has a picture of the loco in question.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps Massoth should get someone to edit and proof read there english instructions or is that asking too much?

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps Massoth should get someone to edit and proof read there english instructions or is that asking too much?
You are right, their English documentation leaves a lot to be desired, and they seem to make you want to work to find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag

Greg

Greg - The CV29 emphasis on the Analog setting in the Massoth Configuration Manual is to bring that feature to the user's attention, if needed. For example, the Manual states that if you install a Massoth Power Caps unit to an XLS Sound Decoder and you plan to operate your loco in DCC mode, then you need to turn-off the Analog operations feature using CV29.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag

LOL on that happening. The vast majority of Massoth's business base are from Germans, not English speaking folks. I've been using and installing Massoth decoders and components for over five years now, and find their German to English translations in the documentation to be occasionally incorrect, or lack details, or lack process steps. But overall I'd give them an A- for their translations. So, at least the Manuals have both German and English sections.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag

Be careful using third-party databases........they may not have the latest version of the Massoth documentation.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful using third-party databases........they may not have the latest version of the Massoth documentation.

I don't think even Massoth, have the latest version of the Massoth documentation! - Even in German!! :eek::rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: