Hello from Sarnia

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Many people do this successfully, but being careful to control what gets in the tunnel... most (successful) people have tunnels made of large plastic pipe, take care of drainage, plug the ends well, and account for condensation.

Greg

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Because of the electronics? Ok. Then I will just leave the cars outside. I will put the engine in a special container to transport. See nothing is written in stone and thanks for the advice.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
What I was going to do is:. 6 cedar 20 inch posts in cement. Then 8 foot planks running along the side and top..spaced apart... Lay straight track secured to a 8 foot board. Have nails protruding through the board so board will stay in place. Put a roll of roofing under the board covering the entire bottom of the tunnel. Make sure the water runs off the roofing roll....no pooling. Make a not air tight wooden frame for tunnel. Then cover most of tunnel with roll of roofing. ....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
moisture can wreak havoc on solder, get weird oxidation/corrosion. Rolling stock safer for sure. A light coating on the wheels and springs of a marine grade anti corrosion spray will work well, lanocote is great, it is spray lanoline like in hand lotion, natural, non toxic. I do leave certain locos out under an awning, but I am in San Diego, so not as cold, but we often have 80% humidity

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
moisture can wreak havoc on solder, get weird oxidation/corrosion. Rolling stock safer for sure. A light coating on the wheels and springs of a marine grade anti corrosion spray will work well, lanocote is great, it is spray lanoline like in hand lotion, natural, non toxic. I do leave certain locos out under an awning, but I am in San Diego, so not as cold, but we often have 80% humidity

Greg
Yes my house is humid so is my cold basement where it is stored now but not below freezing like outside. It is cold outside here untill mid May. I will get some Lanocote for metal wheels and springs.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, this is the introduction thread, how about opening new threads with the appropriate titles for each topic you wish to discuss, that way the rest of us would know what you want to talk about. Obviously there is always thread drift, but this introduction has gone on now for 205 posts :)

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, this is the introduction thread, how about opening new threads with the appropriate titles for each topic you wish to discuss, that way the rest of us would know what you want to talk about. Obviously there is always thread drift, but this introduction has gone on now for 205 posts :).........I am a new member in the New Members Forum.....What does the moderator think? I am learning a lot here getting started on my garden railway in Canada.

Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ok sounds good Greg. Where can I transfer to for my tunnel.... I appreciate your help. For me this is all part of the hobby... Now I am weather proofing wood I already have to use making the tunnel.... My train will rust and corrode in my cold damp basement anyways. So I need to know all this regardless. Or just continue here in this post... Does not matter to me. I got my break wheel in the mail today ..yaaa

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Feel free to start a new topic in the general forum.

"Ideas for a storage tunnel" might be a good topic title.

You might want to consider building the tunnel from concrete block, and drape tarpaper over it for waterproofing.

If you are going to put earth on the tunnel, wood will eventually rot, and you do want a water barrier around the tunnel.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ok Greg I will start a new topic there. I will put up pictures as I progress. Ya I never thought about concrete blocks. Hmm

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
This thread has moved to Train Tunnel Ideas In Sarnia ....in the General Forum. ...peace be with us all.

Reactions: 1 user