Hello from Sarnia

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
My friend lowers most of his rolling stock to meet prototype dimensions.

many model cars sit too high, usually to accommodate overly tight (like R1) curves... the more space you put between the chassis and the truck, usually the more the trucks can swivel, thus tighter curves.

My friend Ted Doskaris gets the prototype dimensions and sets the height from the rails to match the 1:29 scale.

main page on his articles:

aristo FA specific:

Also some rolling stock is abnormally spaced too high....

Greg

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
My friend lowers most of his rolling stock to meet prototype dimensions.

many model cars sit too high, usually to accommodate overly tight (like R1) curves... the more space you put between the chassis and the truck, usually the more the trucks can swivel, thus tighter curves.

My friend Ted Doskaris gets the prototype dimensions and sets the height from the rails to match the 1:29 scale.

main page on his articles:

aristo FA specific:

Also some rolling stock is abnormally spaced too high....

Greg
Ya the track I have been buying is r1. Along with 10 straight v g. Condition LGB which will arrive any day now. ..Is there a brand of rolling stock that has 1:29 guaranteed? I really do not want my train to have varying heights. I like smooth lines. It would be nice not to have to measure before I buy it.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, unfortunately, the most true to scale cars are probably the most expensive.

The Aristo-Craft cars are 1:29, and the USA "Ultimate" series are 1:29, and the AML cars are 1:29.

USA Trains makes a less expensive series, and it is 1:24, and you have to look carefully at the ads to know which is which, but you can tell by the part number of the car which series it is.... go on the USA Trains site to make sure of what you are buying, don't go by the picture or if it is advertised with metal wheels.

LGB cars are mostly out of scale, but there are a few that are really good for 1:29, but they are expensive.

By the way, in real life there was quite a variation in car sizes and height, mostly on the narrow gauge railroads.

I do like them the same height too, call me weird.

(note that reefers are always lower in height)

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya it is just what I like. I like f units. With or without a b unit pulling same height cars. I lost my desire to switch the NYC to cn (the snake) colour design. But I do want all Brown freight cars. No high cubes. Around the same height. There are a lot of LGB rolling stock for sale..How do the part numbers differ? Is that the only way...

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
yes, the only way, and I would not buy them for usa freight... also, the prices should be higher when you find them, as well as a much more limited selection.

You probably want mostly 40 foot cars, as in my video.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
yes, the only way, and I would not buy them for usa freight... also, the prices should be higher when you find them, as well as a much more limited selection.

You probably want mostly 40 foot cars, as in my video.

Greg
Yes I liked your cars. Just I want all Brown box cars if I can. So seeing as I now plan to have 26 R1 track. 10 straight. Will I have an issue with cars touching each other on the curves? If so are there cars I can get that will not touch another on the r1 curves?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have only run R1 curves once at my house. My USAT F3's would not negotiate them, so have never tried any of my rolling stock on R1.

You will most likely have to have truck mount couplers, not body mount. I think 40 footers will be ok on R1, but you will have to try to be sure.

You want all mineral brown? Santa Fe and many others did this.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I have only run R1 curves once at my house. My USAT F3's would not negotiate them, so have never tried any of my rolling stock on R1.

You will most likely have to have truck mount couplers, not body mount. I think 40 footers will be ok on R1, but you will have to try to be sure.

You want all mineral brown? Santa Fe and many others did this.

Greg
Ya lots have the light brown that I like. I do like CN but can't be too fussy at this point. Priority now is to get track... Keep an eye out for rolling stock.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
I have only R1.
I run 50 ft cars 1:29 with no issue. I just bought a 50 ft refrigerator car 54 cm USA trains . Impressive model btw. Run fine.
I run it with LGB cars of similar length without issue.

17706a.JPG

My only advise is to put a loop coupler only without a hook as first car behind a loco.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I have only R1.
I run 50 ft cars 1:29 with no issue. I just bought a 50 ft refrigerator car 54 cm USA trains . Impressive model btw. Run fine.
I run it with LGB cars of similar length without issue.

View attachment 295416

My only advise is to put a loop coupler only without a hook as first car behind a loco.
Ok cool. I was just looking at 50 foot USTrains ultimate box cars. I like the old brown cpr ones. Next time I am in the Guelph Ontario area I might get a new one if they are in stock.

Last edited:

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I run just USAT and AML in 40 and 50 foot. I don't like the details on the Aristo ones, and everything else is a cut below on details and fidelity to scale.

Greg
Ya thanks for your help Greg. I am trying to make it a model railway... Same as the real thing just a smaller scale. Not a toy railway. The real deal is a true replica including the scenery of a certain area. I have never done that. 2 days ago I took the plunge and did the e transfer thing for track. I know it is risky but did it on a small purchase. Yes there was a bit of nasty cus he sent me on numerous times the wrong postal receipt. But I got him to finally look and recognize his mistake. I have sold 3 Items and have given the utmost care in information of the business transaction. Which includes lots of photos of receipts and address and contents/packing photos. And yes the couplers must be on the trucks not on the box car.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You might indeed start with hook and loop, to get compatibility between brands. The USAT couplers are weirdly low (there is an explanation), but I'd start that way unless the look of the H&L make you crazy. Then I would go Kadee, but they need better trackwork, so I would suggest you "graduate" to that later.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
You might indeed start with hook and loop, to get compatibility between brands. The USAT couplers are weirdly low (there is an explanation), but I'd start that way unless the look of the H&L make you crazy. Then I would go Kadee, but they need better trackwork, so I would suggest you "graduate" to that later.

Greg
Yes my R1 s are here to stay. I am cautiously optimistic and it is all good.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Well things are progressing good. If I am 2 hours away anyways in Kitchener Guelph area (which I am a few times of the year including yesterday) I can buy new track much much cheaper than used shipped from USA. I got 84 feet of good quality track so far. 50 r1 34 straight. I also found today an old battery steam engine (,not pricy). If I can get it going and can handle the r1 curves will use it as a converted track cleaner. Ya

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I do like to mix and match. Makes life a bit more interesting... I am not into same ole....So I am thinking about getting this. Ya it is British rolling stock but the price is great even with shipping. I can rig something up to connect the engine to first car. Every year I can change the cargo .... It could be military tanks to logs to containers. I am not familiar with the make but does look realistic except for British being pulled by North American Engine. And brand new. ....what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-082214.png
    Screenshot_20220306-082214.png
    573.2 KB · Views: 0

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Pics of me getting my yard ready for the garden railway

Attachments

• 20220315_171407.jpg
    20220315_171407.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220315_171037.jpg
    20220315_171037.jpg
    762.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220315_171035.jpg
    20220315_171035.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220315_171029_HDR.jpg
    20220315_171029_HDR.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you really have R1 curves, you should stay away from 50 foot cars.

You will need to stay with truck mounted couplers at least.

It looks like you could go way bigger than R1 curves (that is 4 foot DIAMETER)