Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck attempting track power Brian. I do not give up easy and there are very few things in life that I have given up on. Please keep us posted as to your progress.
I'll definately keep everyone updated. Considering opening a new thread just for the work in progress, since I can literally do it from the planning stages. I'm just not sure what forum it would best be posted in...

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes feel free to open a new thread. I just opened a new one. In General Forums. Railroading in Winter in Canada

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
So Brian anything new with your G scale? Today I gave my caboose a spray coat of black. I am waiting for my pricy with postage knuckle. I cut a plow out of an aluminum ( I love to hear the Brits say that word) sheet. I plan on spraying it CN Orange. Put 2 small side plows orange as well is the plan

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So Brian anything new with your G scale?
Actually, tomorrow I start rough laying out track to mark my track plan area. With any luck I'll be scraping sod and laying first layer of weed guard... I know lofty plans. I hope to remember to take photos as I progress.

Reactions: 1 user

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so you want to lay the track in the earth? That weed killer may be toxic cancer causing stuff so be carefully. I just layed my track on the ground. The concrete smothered any grass or weeds. We missed all that lake effect snow as we always do. But 5 miles out of Sarnia is where lake effect snow can start. Happy thanks giving. We have ours beginning of October.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so you want to lay the track in the earth? That weed killer may be toxic cancer causing stuff so be carefully. I just layed my track on the ground. The concrete smothered any grass or weeds. We missed all that lake effect snow as we always do. But 5 miles out of Sarnia is where lake effect snow can start. Happy thanks giving. We have ours beginning of October.
Whoa, never said anything about weed killer... I said weed barrier...it's a cloth material. Any thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Track prep Sunday,
Personally I would skip the USAT rail joiners and go immediately to rail clamps. Either Split-Jaw or Massoth/Trainli type clamps. The Massoth/Trainli type clamps are very unobtrusive when installed with the screws between the rails. I bought my last couple of batches from modell-land.de, 100 Stück Schienenverbinder Messing 19 mm mit Edelstahlschrauben ML-Train 8188165, at a very reasonable price even when shipping is considered. I included a few other goodies in the order to help amortize the shipping!;). I prefer Split-Jaw clamps for getting power to and from the rails. I think you will regret relying on the USAT joiners alone (or at all!) for electrical conductivity. I've been running track power mfx/DCC in a climate identical to Ttaannggss for more that six years now. Ann Arbor is about 75 miles WSW of Sarnia, ON. My track is mostly LGB brass. I don't have any of the conductivity issues that scare many into battery/RC. It's all in the track joinery and power feeds.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I would skip the USAT rail joiners and go immediately to rail clamps. Either Split-Jaw or Massoth/Trainli type clamps. The Massoth/Trainli type clamps are very unobtrusive when installed with the screws between the rails. I prefer Split-Jaw clamps for getting power to and from the rails. I bought my last couple of batches from modell-land.de, 100 Stück Schienenverbinder Messing 19 mm mit Edelstahlschrauben ML-Train 8188165, at a very reasonable price even when shipping is considered. I included a few other goodies in the order to help amortize the shipping!;). I think you will regret relying on the USAT joiners alone (or at all!) for electrical conductivity. I've been running track power mfx/DCC in a climate identical to Ttaannggss for more that six years now. Ann Arbor is about 75 miles WSW of Sarnia, ON. My track is mostly LGB brass. I don't have any of the conductivity issues that scare many into battery/RC. It's all in the track joinery and power feeds.
I did buy some brass clamps. Hopefully I will be going battery power quickly. Hearing too many track power nightmares. With any luck within the first few months I'll be away from track power.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I cut a plow out of an aluminum ( I love to hear the Brits say that word)
We say "plough" and "aluminium", so you pronounce them differently because, you spell them differently.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Whoa, never said anything about weed killer... I said weed barrier...it's a cloth material. Any thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes!
Ok. I thought weed guard might be weed killer. I have watched g scale videos where people do that.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ok. I thought weed guard might be weed killer. I have watched g scale videos where people do that.
Nope, I try to be a good tree hugger...lol

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I would skip the USAT rail joiners and go immediately to rail clamps. Either Split-Jaw or Massoth/Trainli type clamps. The Massoth/Trainli type clamps are very unobtrusive when installed with the screws between the rails. I bought my last couple of batches from modell-land.de, 100 Stück Schienenverbinder Messing 19 mm mit Edelstahlschrauben ML-Train 8188165, at a very reasonable price even when shipping is considered. I included a few other goodies in the order to help amortize the shipping!;). I prefer Split-Jaw clamps for getting power to and from the rails. I think you will regret relying on the USAT joiners alone (or at all!) for electrical conductivity. I've been running track power mfx/DCC in a climate identical to Ttaannggss for more that six years now. Ann Arbor is about 75 miles WSW of Sarnia, ON. My track is mostly LGB brass. I don't have any of the conductivity issues that scare many into battery/RC. It's all in the track joinery and power feeds.
The issue with track is all about cleanliness. Yes you can run all day round in circles and your trains will help keep the track clean, but not the sidings unless they are loops and used at near equal amounts. I run timetables, shunt trains run round stop to pass etc etc. For me the hassle of track cleaning just got too much so I went all dead rail and have never regretted it. My loco DCC sounds are now reliable with slow running and shunting perfection. Just try one loco to see.

Oh and yes my track was fully rail clamped with Massoth and Hillman Clamps, it still is.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So you have 2 a units and a b unit now? Are all 3 powered?
1 A powered, 1 B powered, and one small 040 steam engine powered. Started collecting some rolling stock. Remember I started from scratch just a few weeks ago.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
When I did mine I lined the trench with the fabric, laded down the stone I went a couple of inches below the grade, covered the stone with fabric making a sock , then added 1/8 rice stone on top of this and set my track down ..it's work well for 15 or so years... let mother nature show you were you need some water letter outers ...

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
1 A powered, 1 B powered, and one small 040 steam engine powered. Started collecting some rolling stock. Remember I started from scratch just a few weeks ago.
Yes. Just like myself we really like trains. Your G scale central icon shows 2 f units that is why I am asking. It is an expensive hobby. I went way overboard in ho scale. I am not going to do that in G scale.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hearing too many track power nightmares
Hi Brian,
I'm south of you on a recently flooded barrier island. Can I recommend joining FGRS? (Florida Garden Railway Soc.) The newsletter editor, Paul Wagner, lives in Noth Port, about 90 mins south of you. He has a very nice layout which was track powered, and he's a very helpful, sociable type. A visit to his layout will answer a lot of questions for you.

20220226_142409_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Quick photo dump... came up a tad short on track as I was able to make layout bigger than initally planned :) And wow it got hot here again... back in the 80's.

Attachments

• 20221125_112125.jpg
    20221125_112125.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_113337.jpg
    20221125_113337.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_114714.jpg
    20221125_114714.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_120204.jpg
    20221125_120204.jpg