Hello from Clearwater, FL, USA

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Why do you think the battery lasts twice as long?

In a properly functioning loco, there is virtually no difference.

two motors, each will do half the work a single motor will do... it's a basic law of physics.

The fact that all your motors work at different speeds means they are damaged somehow, or you have bearing problems. I would invest the time to fix them right, as opposed to running them until they fail and you have to replace EVERYTHING.

I'm going to keep reminding you that you say you don't like learning things the hard way, well your current course is the hard way again, honestly.

Since it's winter, a perfect time to learn, rebuild the motor blocks, find out what is wrong and get at least one loco running right.

Greg
Literally, when the poor loco hits the deck...again
I don't think that some people want to learn, if its not their way of thinking.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have a clue as to how to repair a motor. Only time I could not run a train was over a few days at Christmas. Only time we had snow this year. Anyways this is Brian's post. If you would like to continue to disgus this please go to my winter in Canada snow plow post....thanks Greg and sorry to hear about the bad weather Cal. Is going through.

Last edited:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have a clue as to how to repair a motor. Only time I could not run a train was over a few days at Christmas. Only time we had snow this year. Anyways this is Brian's post. If you would like to continue to disgus this please go to my winter in Canada snow plow post....thanks Greg and sorry to hear about the bad weather Cal. Is going through.
This is Brian's INTRODUCTION thread, so maybe the whole discussion after the introduction should be on a new thread(s).

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You know, work is really getting in the way of me getting this garden layout going...lol. Have everything I need now to put down a complete operational layout, yes, still starting off with track power, but got the Railpro system to run the loco's (RF operation with sound). Have the trestles for the over/under pass, have 3 loco's and a bit of rolling stock. Planning on lots of power drops and using Piko rail clamps and USA Train style screw joiners (for now) going to use contact grease for rail connections. Just need a bridge for the over/under pass, already have my eye on what I want though.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Oops, guess I should move this then...

Reactions: 1 user

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
You know, work is really getting in the way of me getting this garden layout going...lol. Have everything I need now to put down a complete operational layout, yes, still starting off with track power, but got the Railpro system to run the loco's (RF operation with sound). Have the trestles for the over/under pass, have 3 loco's and a bit of rolling stock. Planning on lots of power drops and using Piko rail clamps and USA Train style screw joiners (for now) going to use contact grease for rail connections. Just need a bridge for the over/under pass, already have my eye on what I want though.
I am enthused by your desire and love of the hobby. Same here it is an addiction. I am retired so have the time ...I try and do one thing for my house...doggie...and trains every day. Today I cut some of the brick that is positioned in the snow plow to try and make it a bit lighter.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Work is the curse of the model railway guy.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hey buddy how is your new layout going? I just ordered stuff in a private sale and looking forward to getting it. Snowplow is almost finished. But will need more test runs and touch ups after.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hey buddy how is your new layout going? I just ordered stuff in a private sale and looking forward to getting it. Snowplow is almost finished. But will need more test runs and touch ups after.
You mean me? My Garden layout has been up and running for a few years now with just minor upgrades detailing ongoing in small doses now. I have been working on a G line in the loft but this has stalled due to lack of interest. I have thought about putting some windows in the loft, if I do interest may be rekindled.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I meant Brian but thanks for the info about your set up. I know what you mean by loosing interest. I sometimes skip a few days with my snow plow....slowly but Shurly

Attachments

• 16751903201855259946642628280182.jpg
    16751903201855259946642628280182.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 0

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I spelled it that way first. I like to tease Shirley's and know a few.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I thought this is Brian's intro thread now at 174 posts, let's keep to the introduction, and move other topics to other threads. And if you want private chat use the PM, as the chat between two people gets boring for the rest of us.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Had a death in the family, kinda set me back a bit time wise, but I have installed Railpro RC into my FA units, ordered another board for my tiny Steam loco. Absolutely a wonderful RC system. I did inherit an entire O scale collection from family member, but going to trade that out for some G gauge stuff.

This is my last post to this thread.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the death in your family. Ya your G scale is going great.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Huh? You chastise me/us for thread drift, and now 174 posts later you are the thread police? That is hypocritical.

You do not have to read this thread....

Greg
Is this to me? ......Jim

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
My new stuff Brian. He gave me the NH for free. The other box car is a CN to match the other 2 I already have. The engine is a rs-3. Apparently NYC was the first to have them. What I payed with shipping for all 3 ...that are new ...was a great deal for just the engine without shipping. I needed more power for my snow plow. After I hooked up a 20v battery to my NYC f unit it was never the same. The 2 motors were not in sinkronized after that so took the weaker engine out. The one up front. I will try to sell the NYC this summer at a big discount seeing as it only has one Engine. People buy dummy engines so maybe find a buyer for this. If no buyer then that is ok too....I will convert the rs3 to battery power probably in the spring/summer. .opened box. It says NYS on the outside. It is New Haven and that is what I asked for. I like orange. Yaaa

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_214116988.jpg
    PXL_20230201_214116988.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230201_220351091.jpg
    PXL_20230201_220351091.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Is this to me? ......Jim
No, to JimmyB who told us:
thought this is Brian's intro thread now at 174 posts, let's keep to the introduction, and move other topics to other threads. And if you want private chat use the PM, as the chat between two people gets boring for the rest of us.

greg