Hello from Michigan USA!

mjotrainbrain

Registered
19 Jun 2021
Michigan, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Howdy G Scale Central!

To introduce myself briefly, my name is Matthew and I'm from west Michigan. I'm in my fourth year of studying mechanical engineering, leaving little time and money for hobbies at the moment. Besides G scale railroading of course, I mostly spend my time with friends working on cars, offroading all over the beautiful state of Michigan in my Toyota 4Runner, and chasing real trains (mostly on the CSX Chicago Division).

I've been interested in trains my whole life, and have dabbled in modeling with N scale, O scale, and LEGO. I've always wanted to take a stab at G gauge, and as such I've been casually keeping an eye out for a good deal for a while. I jumped at the opportunity for a basic set on Marketplace a few weeks ago without really knowing what I got, but I'm pretty happy with what I happened into. It's all REA/Aristocraft stuff (except one piece of LGB track), which I'll be going over in a thread I'll be making in the "Large Scale Pictures" section for my new railroad.

I'm excited to finally be a part of the G scale community after so many years of being taunted by the great layouts featured in videos and publications!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You're starting early! My trains sat in the garage for more than thirty years before having a permanent right-of -way. Welcome.

mjotrainbrain

Registered
19 Jun 2021
Michigan, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the welcome Phil! Thirty years...that's a real long wait! I'm only 22, so I can't imagine haha. I'm sure it will be several decades before I have the opportunity to build the railway of my dreams, but I'm certainly excited to be making a permanent right of way at all.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Matthew!
Lots of good advice here..
Just beware of the humour, and the 'foreign' language. - English! ;)

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Matthew, I've already replied to your other thread.
I have the opportunity to build the railway of my dreams
As always, start small and manageable, otherwise dreams can become nightmares.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
G'day from New Zealand.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Matthew, lots of interest on here for you. Look for some of the scratch build stuff, great inspiration. oh and pictures please, also of some of your CSX shits, there is a thread for pics of the real thing that many of us love to see.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Matt and welcome :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Matthew. Everyone is welcome here, especially engineering students!

mjotrainbrain

Registered
19 Jun 2021
Michigan, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the warm welcome everybody!

Great to see such an international crowd here, it's interesting to see representations of all kinds of different trains and climates.

I am very glad I'm starting small and manageable. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this that will save me countless headaches in the future.

Scratch built stuff is definitely on my radar, especially via 3D printing so I'm looking forward to digging through the forum section dedicated to that.

And I'll be sure to pick out some nice shots I've got and post em up in the real trains section when I get some time! Maybe on a rainy day when I can't work on the railroad. :)